Recoil lug questions.

MRL

Does anybody have a Holland recoil lug that could measure it's thickness for me (several people doing this would be great) also stock Remington recoil lugs same thing can you measure the thickness and post it. I am trying to salvage several barrels that were used with a thicker recoil lug and want to see what it would take to get to fit a standard Remington action and lug without rechambering. Thanks

A Holland lug measures .250 and comes with a pin if you want to drill the action and pin it for a switch barrel.
PTG makes them in .186 and .200 that I know of. I have all three lugs on hand to measure, the Holland lug I will never
use if you are interested, it is new, but I need to pay Wilbur a commission if you buy it. I would sell it for what they cost and pay the shipping.

Does anybody have a Holland recoil lug that could measure it's thickness for me (several people doing this would be great) also stock Remington recoil lugs same thing can you measure the thickness and post it. I am trying to salvage several barrels that were used with a thicker recoil lug and want to see what it would take to get to fit a standard Remington action and lug without rechambering. Thanks

Measure the tenon length, then measure the distance from the actions end to the end of the inserted bolt. Subtract those two measurements and then add 0.010" this will give you the theoretical lug thickness.....or something like that, its early here.

If it has to be SAAMI, use a headspace gauge. If for yourself, a fired case will do... Screw the barrel on 'till it bottoms on the gauge or case. If you're using a fired case & you want to be fussy, add .001 (back the barrel off a reasonable amount for head clearance). Now measure how much space you have between the receiver ring and the barrel shoulder. Measure the lug, subtract that from the first measurement, and that's the shim you need. Yeah, you could add .0004 for crush if you're being fussy, but unless you're grinding down an existing oversize lug...

As a "but first," I'd use either the gauge or the case-in-the-barrel just to check that the area above the web of the case is in fact supported by the barrel. That's a safety issue; unless you know for sure, no reason to just guess someone else's work was safe...

A whole lot depends on whether or not the rifle's for you. You can always fireform brass to fit just about anything that will still work with your dies. If it's for someone else, make sure factory rounds chamber and fire safely.

EDIT:

In other words, it's kinda like putting a barrel on a Savage, but instead of just turning the nut, you have to make a shim.

Last edited:
I don't have a copy of the Midway USA catalog nearby but they were offering Rem lugs in various thicknesses. It may be worthwhile to check there when you determine the correct thickness you will need.

drover

Thanks for the info, but does anybody have a stock remington recoil lug they could measure for me so I can get a rough idea what I will need. And yes it is for me and I dont have a problem "fixing" brass to fit.

Just measured 3 factory Rem-700 recoil-lugs for you:
(You can surface grind a lug to what ever thickness you need)

Also, recoil-lugs can be far from flat to begin with, and surface grinding is a widely used correction.
The .189 lug from above I actually measure .1890 on one side and .1875 on the other half, which shows that lug is not flat, and is a very common scenario to recoil-lugs.

I personally advise to surface-grind true all factory recoil-lugs.
And at least measure the after-markets (have found them not to be flat always also).

Donovan

Last edited:
Back