Reamer Question

T

I'm in the market for a reamer and have two 6mm caliber Krieger Barrels 13.5 and 14 twist with a .237 bore size. All the reamer prints I've come across specify a .236 bore size. When ordering a reamer, do I have to specify .237?

Thanks,

Tom Kennedy
Dublin, New Hampshire

I'm in the market for a reamer and have two 6mm caliber Krieger Barrels 13.5 and 14 twist with a .237 bore size. All the reamer prints I've come across specify a .236 bore size. When ordering a reamer, do I have to specify .237?

Thanks,

Tom Kennedy
Dublin, New Hampshire

No.

Are you talking about the reamer pilot diameter? If so, order the reamers with removable pilots and order a set of pilots in 0.0002" increments from 0.2372 to 0.2360".

Jerry,

I just noticed the pilot size is 0.2365, now I'm more confused than before. I'll call Pacific Tool today and see what they recommend for specifications.

I do like your suggestion of removable pilots that would solve the problem if there is one.

I have visions of the pilot wobbling around in the barrel.

Pilot Size 0.2365
Caliber 6mm
Bore Size 0.236
Groove Size 0.243
Basic Brass PPC

I'll keep you posted,

Tom

If you are doing your own work, then do as Jerry says and get a set of pilots to go with the reamer. That way you can use a rod to insert the pilot into the barrel to find what sized pilot fits your bore. Keep going up in size to find the largest pilot that won't fit into the bore and then drop down a size to one that will. However, you don't want it so tight that it scars the top of the lands when the chamber is being reamed. If you aren't doing your own work and are having a benchrest gunsmith do your chambering, then don't worry about pilot size as he'll use a pilot that fits the bore, but get a reamer with removable pilots and not a solid pilot. With a .237" bore, you might find that a .2368" works or you might find that a .2372" works. You just don't know until you check the bore with the pilot set or with a set of pin gauges. In the original post it states that the bore is a .237" bore and then the last post states .236" bore. Pacific makes two different sets of pilots for 6mm's, one for .237" bores and one for .236" bores. The sets are a set of 9 pilots in .0002" increments. Of course, the .2365" pilot will not fit in a .236" bore, but will fit in a .237" bore.

Last edited:
Mike Byant

Mike,

You are the just the person I'm looking for! It's your reamer that I'm interested in (print #39735 , dated 05/21/2012).

The Krieger Barrels' bore sizes are 0.237, I pin gauged them......Your reamer print states bore size 0.236 with a 0.2365 pilot size. How can this be?

Do you have any addition information to share?

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike,

You are the just the person I'm looking for! It's your reamer that I'm interested in (print #39735 , dated 05/21/2012).

The Krieger Barrels' bore sizes are 0.237, I pin gauged them......Your reamer print states bore size 0.236 with a 0.2365 pilot size. How can this be?

Tom

Most of the Krieger or Bartlein barrels that are used in short range benchrest use a .237" bore and the long range rifles use the .236" bore. You use the pilot that fits your bore. I looked at the print and it does say .236 bore with a .2365" pilot. I think that just means that the .2365" pilot is what they always ship on a new reamer unless a different one is specified. I never paid any attention to the bore size on the reamer print. I guess it has to say something as there isn't actually a number on the reamer print specifications that match it. If you use it with a .236" bored barrel, of course, you'll have to use a smaller pilot than a .2360" and most definitely smaller than a .2365".

Mike,

Tom

Barrel bores vary its that simple...that's the reason for removable pilots to fit to each individual barrel....

6 ppc tk

I ordered my reamer today and want to thank everyone for their input.

Tom

Back