Reamer question

R

Rmiller

What would be a reasonable lead time for a finish Reamer, from a "reamer manufacturer"? The reamer (6mm Rem Ack imp) is not in stock and will have to be made ?

Thanks RMiller

WOW !! I am at 12 weeks nows so I guess I should not be getting to impatient .

Thank

Wow! I must be out of the loop? The last reamer I got from Dave Kiff a year ago, only took some three weeks???
Rich De

Don't think your alone. I ordered a reamer on the 6th of March and it arrived last week. 6 months and 2 weeks later. It was a custom grind and I am grateful to mr Kiff and his folks.
Nat Lambeth

Wow! I must be out of the loop? The last reamer I got from Dave Kiff a year ago, only took some three weeks???
Rich De

My 25 CopperWhacker was ordered first week in March. It is supposed to be shipped this coming week. Go to their web site. You won't believe how that business is growing. Now over 100 employees.

My 25 CopperWhacker was ordered first week in March. It is supposed to be shipped this coming week. Go to their web site. You won't believe how that business is growing. Now over 100 employees.

Yes, I have noticed. I can't get any service from them anymore. They don't respond to my internet based email requests and every single gal that has worked for them and has worked with me by regular email is no longer with them. If I call and have a question, they are not allowed (or not capable) of answering it. Dave is the ONLY one who can and he is NEVER available. I have given up on them and will have to find someone else to deal with . Too bad that growth can ruin a good company.

Yes, I have noticed. I can't get any service from them anymore. If I call and have a question, they are not allowed (or not capable) of answering it. I have given up on them and will have to find someone else to deal with.

I know we're not supposed to bash vendors but I'm afraid I have to agree. I ordered a reamer for a beltless magnum and headspace gauges but wasn't convinced they understood me and weren't going to send me belted gauges instead. I rang another 3 times before they sent me the wrong gauges. When I rang the 4th time I was told I would be sent the correct gauges at no charge. I asked for a copy of my outstanding order and it didn't have the gauges on it. In my 5th call I was told they didn't have the authority to send me the correct gauges for no charge. Rather than mail the wrong gauges 10,000 miles back to the US and end up with nothing I just cancelled my order.

To answer the original poster order from Dave Manson. I've used him for 8 years now and I won't try any other vendor again, no matter how great posts on the internet say they are. For a 6 mm AI you'll probably get it in 6-8 weeks if it isn't in stock. He's grinding 2 reamers for me at the moment and I've sent another one back for alteration. Only $30 to reduce the neck diameter. If you ring and ask for Dave at Dave Manson Precision Reamers you'll get him.

Ben

http://www.mansonreamers.com/PriceList.htm

The 244 ACK IMP is $90 +$30 for a floating pilot. Go and no go gauges are $28 each.

The one I bought has a throat that gave me a COAL of 2.9" for an 87 grain VMax touching the lands so I used a Wyatt extended magazine box in a Remington 700 SA.

Longer with a 105 grain Berger but that's in a single shot light gun.

The throat length and the long neck of the 244 are a good combination for 75-105 grain bullets as long as the lighter ones have flat bases.

Altering the throat is $30 but will mean grinding a new reamer or altering one already in stock so it will take longer to deliver.

The chamber is a good match for Redding dies and Remington and Norma brass but RWS brass is too narrow across the case head and web.

HTH
Ben

To answer the original poster order from Dave Manson. I've used him for 8 years now and I won't try any other vendor again, no matter how great posts on the internet say they are. For a 6 mm AI you'll probably get it in 6-8 weeks if it isn't in stock. He's grinding 2 reamers for me at the moment and I've sent another one back for alteration. Only $30 to reduce the neck diameter. If you ring and ask for Dave at Dave Manson Precision Reamers you'll get him.

Ben

Ssssssshhhhhhhhhhh.................
Some things you just gotta keep under your hat Ben.......
We want the masses to keep going to Kiff so we can get better reamers quicker from Manson!;)

Last edited:
Ssssssshhhhhhhhhhh.................
Some things you just gotta keep under your hat Ben.......
We want the masses to keep going to Kiff so we can get better reamers quicker from Manson!;)

The masses that wait for a kiff reamer are the folks that win. The average wait for a reamer now is 1-8 weeks and yes some of the reamers ordered this spring had very long waiting times. If you email my shop or call one of our ten sales staff you will be with 1000 other email folks for that day or one of the folks that call and place a order every 33 seconds and thats ok if you can wait 1-8 weeks for the reamer . If you are waiting on a action or barrel it will be a perfect waiting time as I am told that some barrels, actions and other parts take many many weeks or up to 3-6 mo's to get some cut barrels and custom actions. Hell I have been told by some of my customers that build custom bench and tactical rifles that they are out a year , they are fine with a reamer delivery that takes 1-8 weeks or even longer some folks tell me not to ding there card for six mo's. If you are in a hurry please feel free to tell me by email or phone. Phone or email me at my custom shop and you will get your reamer faster as I deal with it. I would like phone calls on wildcats because I would rather talk with a man about a custom shoulder angle or special size reamer. My direct customers get there reamers faster and I personally take care of it . My email is dave@kifftool.com and my phone number is 541-826-9244. I do call back before I leave each day . If you folks are settling for solid pilot reamers ground down and a bushing installed with a snap ring , Hell we could do that for a low price and I have for customers that have requested that need the reamer to be shipped out over night if the removable was not on the shelf. Do you really want a scabbed up reamer like that. I hate to steal from you as I stock thousands of reamers with removable pilots that are held on with a screw that can have the neck or free bore ground down at no extra charge and can be sent out in a few day's the screw can be grooved for oil flow. Remember call me for 1 on 1 treatment if you are in a rush or call or email the main shop and wait in line if you have time . I have grown but I still have time to grind reamers for my direct customers. I ground three reamers for three of the top shooters last Sunday because they prefer me to grind them rather than one of my guy's on the floor . That is fine I do it all the time . I am building a custom shop in the back that has all the old Red Elliott machines and some old Kieth Francis Cincinnati machines it looks like a museum but the machines will be grinding each day.I have customers come in and watch us grind reamers. All the Midway and Grizzly reamers will be ground up front on the new CNC grinders. I will never grind a bench reamer or wildcat on the CNC grinders as I like to grind them and hand stone the edge. Remember my email for reamers you need in a hurry or you need one that is in the shop out faster . dave@kifftool.com Well its back to the grind . Thanks Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Man I never knew just asking asking a question about reamer would get such a responce . I did not mentioned the "reamer manufacturer " because I didn't won't to come across as bashing any company .

I haven't ordered a reamer in the last 2 years so I was just trying to get a idea of lead times.

All I will say is the Manufacturer has professionally took care of my order and it will ships tomorow . Great company and I would not hesitate to order from them again .

Rmiller

Kinda funny, on another forum they are cutting the nuts off another reamer grinder. I am a very impatient person, but have learned to deal with delay. My reamers get here sooner than my barrels. I have found that folks wait too long before pulling the trigger. You better start planning for next year now, not in December.

I know we're not supposed to bash vendors but I'm afraid I have to agree. I ordered a reamer for a beltless magnum and headspace gauges but wasn't convinced they understood me and weren't going to send me belted gauges instead. I rang another 3 times before they sent me the wrong gauges. When I rang the 4th time I was told I would be sent the correct gauges at no charge. I asked for a copy of my outstanding order and it didn't have the gauges on it. In my 5th call I was told they didn't have the authority to send me the correct gauges for no charge. Rather than mail the wrong gauges 10,000 miles back to the US and end up with nothing I just cancelled my order.

Ben

I hope my post wasn't taken as 'bashing a vendor' and I am not complaining about the wait, just the inability to talk to someone or get a response to a QUESTION. I would have ordered a reamer on the phone but the girls couldn't help me. Glad to see that Dave is actually still running the place. They have never messed up any of my orders but I sure am having a hard time placing another! Now that I have a number and an email address, I can probably get through.

I ground three reamers for three of the top shooters last Sunday because they prefer me to grind them rather than one of my guy's on the floor

Maybe that's the trick to get a reamer in the advertised PT&G time...............just be one of the top three shooters in the world and you can get what you want when you want it?!?! ;)

Last edited:
The masses that wait for a kiff reamer are the folks that win. The average wait for a reamer now is 1-8 weeks and yes some of the reamers ordered this spring had very long waiting times. If you email my shop or call one of our ten sales staff you will be with 1000 other email folks for that day or one of the folks that call and place a order every 33 seconds and thats ok if you can wait 1-8 weeks for the reamer . If you are waiting on a action or barrel it will be a perfect waiting time as I am told that some barrels, actions and other parts take many many weeks or up to 3-6 mo's to get some cut barrels and custom actions. Hell I have been told by some of my customers that build custom bench and tactical rifles that they are out a year , they are fine with a reamer delivery that takes 1-8 weeks or even longer some folks tell me not to ding there card for six mo's. If you are in a hurry please feel free to tell me by email or phone. Phone or email me at my custom shop and you will get your reamer faster as I deal with it. I would like phone calls on wildcats because I would rather talk with a man about a custom shoulder angle or special size reamer. My direct customers get there reamers faster and I personally take care of it . My email is dave@kifftool.com and my phone number is 541-826-9244. I do call back before I leave each day . If you folks are settling for solid pilot reamers ground down and a bushing installed with a snap ring , Hell we could do that for a low price and I have for customers that have requested that need the reamer to be shipped out over night if the removable was not on the shelf. Do you really want a scabbed up reamer like that. I hate to steal from you as I stock thousands of reamers with removable pilots that are held on with a screw that can have the neck or free bore ground down at no extra charge and can be sent out in a few day's the screw can be grooved for oil flow. Remember call me for 1 on 1 treatment if you are in a rush or call or email the main shop and wait in line if you have time . I have grown but I still have time to grind reamers for my direct customers. I ground three reamers for three of the top shooters last Sunday because they prefer me to grind them rather than one of my guy's on the floor . That is fine I do it all the time . I am building a custom shop in the back that has all the old Red Elliott machines and some old Kieth Francis Cincinnati machines it looks like a museum but the machines will be grinding each day.I have customers come in and watch us grind reamers. All the Midway and Grizzly reamers will be ground up front on the new CNC grinders. I will never grind a bench reamer or wildcat on the CNC grinders as I like to grind them and hand stone the edge. Remember my email for reamers you need in a hurry or you need one that is in the shop out faster . dave@kifftool.com Well its back to the grind . Thanks Dave

I have been waiting for a reply from your company regarding a order and an other issue. I have sent several e-mails over the past month, and as yet haven't had a reply to any, how long should I have to wait ???? Yes you have a great product BUT if I can't get it what's the point !!!

Matt Paroz

Last edited:
Dave,
Been waiting since April for a custom .270 and a 6BRX. How do I get to be a direct customer? Maybe I can team with Nat :)
Blair Clowdis
Clowdis Precision

Back