Reamer cleaning and storage

R

RJ MAX

Just curious as to what folks are using to clean their reamers with and what oil use to store them. I have read were folks use "g96" for storing. Have looked in Midway and Brownells and can not find a product by this name, can someone point me in right directions.

also, is there a cleaning solvent most use to clean reamers during a reaming job.

thanks,
Ron

G-96 is probably G-96 Gun Treatment as silicone based product... I have used it for close to 40 years...

With my reamers I simply blow them clean with an air hose and leave the residue of the sulfur based cutting oil on them... put them in a plastic tube in a drawer... never had a problem.

I use a different cutting oil but I do the same thing as Dennis when I'm done. Blow it off and put it away ASAP. I do use mineral spirits to rinse the reamer in when I inspect for chip weld prior to the last pass in the chamber.

Dave

Fo long term storage I wouldn't use G96.

I use it for most things but one time I had an U/O shotgun stored for about a year with no use and used G96 on it. Externally it was fine but internally where the action faces meet the oil had oxidised and turned into a fairly tough brown layer. No rust, the oil had just gone "funny" !

If a reamer were left in G96 and stored for some time I can see the same thing happening on surfaces of the reamer that are in contact with the storage tube.

Unless I am just reading wrong, you just clean chips of reamers after use with air and store in container they came in with no addition oil/solvent?

Thanks,
Ron

Dave Kiffs reamers smell like WD-40 when they arrive...

Just as Dave Tooley stated I check for chip weld before, during and after chambering. I blow them off with compressed air. I coat them with a light machine oil and put them back in their protective tubes. 20 wt detergent free oil.
Rustystud

Thanks everyone for responses. Think I read to much into something I read some time ago someplace.

Ron

How to store reamers

Have you ever seen a well maintained Automatic Transmission show any signs of rust.
I dont remember which of the reamer mfg told me this, trick but all of my reamers are cleaned with mineral spirits and then placed in a bath of ATF and look new after any period of time.
Nick

Wd-40

I just blow them off, spray some WD-40 on them, and put them in the container thay came in
WD-40 is specifically a rust inhibiter. It displaces moisture, and will not "float" on moisture like many oils will.
Sometimes the best solution is to use a product that is actually made for the application.......jackie

I use brake cleaner in a spray can to spritz the reamer clean with, then I spray with Breakfree CLP or RemOil and put back in the sleeve.

Clemson

Back