reamer chatter

M

mohunter

Can anyone give me any advice on how to eliminate chatter when chambering a new barrel? I am using a new 270 win reamer from brownells with a live pilot bushing, in a floating reamer holder. i have tried different rpm and feed rate to no avail . Rounds are chambered and extracted with no problem and neck of fired rounds look to be sealing perfectly. Do these chatter marks hurt anything other than the life of brass ? Only place that you can feel these with your finger is at the shoulder.

do a search on chatter and you'll find several threads on how to help with this problem.. wax paper wrapped around the reamer is one of the solutions.

There are a bunch of other post on here about the same issue. Do a search and you will find information about using wax paper around the reamer to eliminate chatter.

Gary

Could anyone point out exactly what to search for. I have been trying reamer chatter and cannot find anything.
I would like to know the answer also.
Thanks,
Centerfire

I have tried turning reamer by hand with same results. I have heard about the wax paper but havnt tried it yet. gun shoots and functions fine as is, Was wondering if it is hurting anything besides my pride because i cant get rid of it!

My first lathe was a 12x36 Jet bench lathe. It would chatter in the threads and sometimes would show up in the chamber when running in back gear. I found out that threading at the slowest speed on the high speed side would get rid of the chatter, that was about 350 rpm which was a little fast for threading to a shoulder. The back gearing on the Jet was a spiral type gear and some how was causing the chatter. I went to a DC motor with variable speed controller and was able to chamber at 80 rpm with the lathe on the slowest belt out of back gear. That took care of the problem with the Jet. Never was able to fix the real problem with why it was causing chatter in back gear, just worked around it. Also, check to make sure that you have your bearings adjusted tight enough. Headstock bearings set up too loose will cause chatter. I adjust my bearings for .0002" of end travel, any tighter and it will cause problems with being able to turn the headstock.

Mr. Hunter

Once chatter begins, I have never been successful at removing it without resorting to methods to specifically fix the problem at hand. As has been previously mentioned, I have tried wax paper (as suggested by Dave Kiff), and it worked great. I generally ream at 115 rpm with a flush system. If chatter is encountered, wrap reamer in wax paper (1-2 wraps), change to slowest rpm possible, feed heavy. This may need to be repeated a couple of times to remove all of the chatter marks. No need to start over, but you will have to go a bit deeper.

Trying to remove the chatter by hand will be futile, due to the lack of rigidity of your hand and reamer v. barrel.

Robert

Reamer Chatter

You might try filling your reamer with chalk until it quits chattering.

Using a flush system I have both slowed up the speed and increased the feed. I also have sped up the speed to about 400 rpms and decreased the feed to a craw until the chatter has been removed.

I have set back and started over also.

Nat Lambeth

I don't normally have an issue with chatter, but did run into a situation a few months back. When changing out the pilot I didn't snug the screw down and the pilot was walking forward causing the chatter. I tightened the pilot screw and all was well....Hope that this info helps someone.
-Len

Back