Re-chambering .222 to .223

Leeroy

Machinest / Gunsmith
G'day guys..

Been offered a sako L461 with a match SS barrell chambered in 222 remington. Was wondering how i would go rechambering it to .223 rem?

It's a fairly skinny taper and theres not enough mean left to totaly cut the old chamber off. At best i think i could set it back mabe .250. I notice on my chamber drawings that the shoulder dia is a few thow larger on the 222 (Less case taper)compared to the 223 and was thinking i'd have to run the .223 reamer in a long way to get a total clean up.. As far as i know it's a fairly loose neck 222 and i only have access to a "loaner" .223 reamer of unknown neck dia.
Anyone here actualy done this? How did it turn out.

Any sudgestions..

Cheers
Leeroy

dont do it.....its not likely the twist is gonna be a faster twist that is "normally" found in 223's today.

so if its a 12 twist you are still stuck shooting the same bullets as the 222. if its brass as an issue make your 222 brass from 223....

why ??

mike in co

222 to 223

Leeroy: My gunsmith, with over 40 yrs experience does not believe in that type of rechambering. He says the chances of the reamer remaining centered in the bore is in question, has tried several times, and they all turned out well below expectations. None of my business what you do, but why not just leave it alone, and use it "as is"? The 222 Rem. is a great "little" cartridge. I just had another replacement barrel ( the second now) done on one of my Sako L46 Riihimaki's and duplicating the factory extractor cut on the face of the barrel is also a problem. If it's a "sporter" barrel there probably will not be enough barrel shank dia. remaining after the required set-back for the new threads, another consideration. If able, check the condition of the bore (with a borescope). Both my original Sako barrels (from the early 60's) were heavily pitted, I'm told caused by the high sulphur steel used in the "Bofors Steel" barrels. Another reason they have both been re-barreled with Hart barrels, Varmint contour.

222 to 223

Leroy:

There are many configurations of the L461 action. If yours has a blind mag well the conversion will work. If your L461 has a detachable box magazine that was mdae for the 222 then the 223 will be too long for the mag box.

Just some thoughs you might also consider.

Nat Lambeth

Back