Range trip to try new bench and some LT30

Boyd Allen

In California we are blessed with the need to convert to lead free bullets. Some that my friends have tried have not shown good accuracy or terminal performance on ground squirrels. Due to their being less dense, they are longer for a given weight, which may require a tighter rifling twist. Recently I tried some of the 40 grain Nosler BTLFs (Ballistic tip lead free) in my 12" twist .22-250 and was pleased with their accuracy, but I have been told they are too long for the 14" twist barrel that I have in my .222s. I knew that they make a 35 gr. version of the same bullet, but I was just sure that the BC would be under .200. It turns out that I was wrong. It is .201, not great, but usable given that with the light weight will come added velocity. The question was how much.

Today I took a .222 bench rifle to the range to find out what the top velocity is that I can get with the 35 grain bullets, propelled by LT30. The rifle has a heavy, Hart, 14" twist barrel, that is 22 inches long. The chamber is snug in the body, with a .244 neck, zero freebore, and a degree and a half per side leade angle. I seated the bullets about .006 into the rifling, and started out at the book maximum load, that I knew to be very conservative, based on experience with another caliber, using the same powder. Even so, with 19.5 grains of LT30 the book velocity, at slightly less than 50K PSI is over 3,600 FPS (Western Powder data). I worked up in half grain steps, playing close attention to primers, and bolt lift. I had a long way to go. When I saw a primer with some darkening at its edges, I stopped, backed up to the previous load (which had required a slow drop from the measure to make room for the bullet) and ran it over the chronograph. The velocity was 3,863, the bolt lift normal, and there was no primer leakage. Later deprimed the case that had shown some primer leakage first, by hand and reprimed it to see if the pocket had loosened, It had not. The temperature was around 66 degrees, a beautiful day.

The other purpose for my trip was to be the first person to shoot from a new prototype bench that I had designed, and another club member had been kind enough to build for the range. It is the first of a set that will replace the shaky old wood benches. The new bench is amazingly rigid, and gave up nothing to the concrete ones that I have a lot of experience with. To say the least, I am very pleased. Its frame is made from 4" square, 2x4, and 2x2 eighth wall tube, welded, with the legs connected about 8" off of the floor with 4" sq. and 2X4 tubing. I had been pretty sure that the design would be a good one, but one never really knows until he ties it. It passed with flying colors.

Let me see your new bench

Boyd,

Please show us a photo of your new bench. I am always hungry to see new ideas of bench design and I know that you have been instrumental in bench designs. I have been working on a mold to cast "perfect":) concrete tops for benchrest benches.

Concho Bill

Come on Bill, we know there is no perfect. Some want tee shape with squared insets, rounded insets. Some want tapered back ends, some want 43 deep while others like 54 deep X 36 or 40. Some want smooth finish and butt heads with those who want rough finish.
And I hear some aren't even shooting the 6PPC in short rage group.

I am shocked at what you say! Just Shocked! I may need to go back to the hood of a '55 Ford pickup. That was "perfect" for my me and my 30/30 in the day.

If there is not a "perfect", there is at least a better.

Concho Bill

I believe what you're saying about benches is correct but the benches at the range in Lakeland, Florida seemed to be suitable for everyone. Nobody wants to build a bench like that - nobody. If you've never seen them, at least you can say you heard about them.

The "U" shaped benches like they have in denton have to be the worst design ive ever used. Its hard to get motivated to drive 5hrs to use em.

Shooting%20bench%20004_zpsqked3jzk.jpg

Shooting%20bench%20001_zpsd3paleck.jpg

The top is 1 1/8" ply, sealed with two coats on all sides and edges before mounting to the frame. The frame is of 4"sq., 2x4, and 2"sq. 1/8 wall tubing. It is 36 5/8" tall, 45 3/4 wide at the front, and the tail is 15" wide. The front to back dimension of the front (wide) part of the bench is 37". The muzzle of my bench rifle clears the front of the bench when I am set up comfortably, and I can put my leg behind the rear leg of the bench comfortably and still have my opposite arm on the front part of the bench. It is amazingly rigid. The overall length is 58". A club member, Mark Mathis, who owns Kings County Air, who built the bench, cobbled up the adjustable stool so that board members who will be evaluating the bench can adjust it to fit each of them.

Dusty, we have never met,

The "U" shaped benches like they have in denton have to be the worst design ive ever used. Its hard to get motivated to drive 5hrs to use em.

But I am sure we will get along when we do. U-shaped benches are a design that should be relegated to hell. They are true agony.

David

Boyd, those are

Shooting%20bench%20004_zpsqked3jzk.jpg

Shooting%20bench%20001_zpsd3paleck.jpg

The top is 1 1/8" ply, sealed with two coats on all sides and edges before mounting to the frame. The frame is of 4"sq., 2x4, and 2"sq. 1/8 wall tubing. It is 36 5/8" tall, 45 3/4 wide at the front, and the tail is 15" wide. The front to back dimension of the front (wide) part of the bench is 37". The muzzle of my bench rifle clears the front of the bench when I am set up comfortably, and I can put my leg behind the rear leg of the bench comfortably and still have my opposite arm on the front part of the bench. It is amazingly rigid. The overall length is 58". A club member, Mark Mathis, who owns Kings County Air, who built the bench, cobbled up the adjustable stool so that board members who will be evaluating the bench can adjust it to fit each of them.

truly works of art. Next, they need to do the same top out of concrete and they will be perfection. But for casual use, the wood tops will do fine for a few years. When they get ready to change the wood tops after they have worn out, concrete is the only way to go. Just make a form off of the wood shape. The steel that is there will support it and then some.

David

I think I shot a match there

I believe what you're saying about benches is correct but the benches at the range in Lakeland, Florida seemed to be suitable for everyone. Nobody wants to build a bench like that - nobody. If you've never seen them, at least you can say you heard about them.

Several few years ago. I have heard there are two ranges @ Lakeland so not sure but I will say, the range I shot at was one of the nicest Benchrest ranges I have ever had the pleasure to shoot at. Everything under cover and toilets as clean as most kitchens. I believe the match I attended was the last IBS Score Match held there; a dern shame.

Pete

Best bench type

Guys, I believe that we are looking at the best type of benchrest bench. Boyd's metal frame with three legs is very steady. All legs will touch the ground equally for stability. The top could be concrete or plywood or even of an exterior grade MDF. The metal frame design of this type that can be moved around the range or even to another range puts this bench type beyond any that can never be moved.

I have been studying benches of all types for some time now and I have built several of different types. This style in my mind is the winner. Works records can be set off of this type of bench and they can be easily made in a shop.

Boyd's bench may be over engineered but that is alright. I helped a friend build one for himself with a 3/4" top and 2 x 2 x 1/8" square tubing legs and it was quite steady. I do prefer 4 x 4 square tubing legs and concrete tops.

Concho Bill

The "over engineering" was intentional. For as many years as benches are in service, I think that designing too close to the line is a waste. Over time, the difference in material cost is insignificant. The reason that I did not go with concrete tops was because I did not have a group of volunteers to work with to make them. The club has a 300 yard range in the works, with firing line that will be built from scratch, with room for prone shooters in front of permanent benches. For that effort, I plan on designing a pull out all the stops bench that will have a reinforced concrete top that is long enough so that the supports can be at its ends, with nothing in the way of shooters' legs, no matter what their preferred position is. I am thinking 5 1/2" thick, with plenty of rebar, and a rich mix. I have not decided whether to use grouted block for the base, or pour it. I think that the tops will be poured in place. The shape will probably like this one, but longer in the tail. As always, the politics of getting things approved is trickier than the design or building work. It has been my experience that organizations are scared spitless of any sort of perfection, even if they have the means to create it, and that the more people who are involved in a decision, the lower the chances are that the outcome will be as good as it might have been...but I am hopeful. Wish us luck.

Strong enough?

Boyd,

I believe that your new prototype will do better than you think. If you put a 4" concrete top on it it will last more years than you will but not be hardly any steadier than with the plywood one.

By my shade tree engineering, a 6" thick top would be slightly over twice as strong as a 4" top and cost only 50% more. By the same token, an 8" thick top would be 4 times as strong as as a 4" and cost just twice as much as a 4" thick top. All of this being said, the plywood top you have is more than strong enough for the needs of a bench rest shooter.

I believe that there are two schools of engineering in the world. The school of the pirimid builders and the school of the Golden Gate Bridge builders. One uses mass and the other uses physics. They both will work.

Boyd, I like your bench you have built. It will survive an earthquake where a more ridged one might not. Do you have earthquakes in California?:)

Concho Bill

Bench design

From reading the discussion on Bench design/construction,one could get the impression that bench design is yet another variable that could be added to the list, in the quest for extreme accuracy. yes or no?

Glenn

Last edited:
Yes, of course. If your bench moves, I believe that is bound to have a negative impact on your overall results, and it can also dictate shooting style to a degree. Knob twiddling tends to show up as point of aim movement on a loose bench. I have not tried a joy stick rest, but I imagine that using one as well as bag squeezing (which I adopt on a shaky bench) would work much better. The benches that I am attempting to have replaced are an extreme case. One has to hold the whole shebang (bench, rifle, and shooter) still while shooting, and hope that the movement caused by recoil is uniform.

Beyond this, over the long term, I believe that benches that allow the shooter to be relaxed and comfortable, with little muscle tension are an advantage.

Last edited:
From reading the discussion on Bench design/construction,one could get the impression that bench design is yet another variable that could be added to the list, in the quest for extreme accuracy. yes or no?

Glenn

Yes. A good bench is better than a bad one. Or, a steady bench is better than an unsteady one.

Last edited:
Benches

Unnh huh……I agree with Boyd and Bill…I always said that shaky benches was partially responsible for some of my poor aggs. Another variable that can’t be fixed on match day. A serious one at that.

Dusty….The Bench design at Denton makes Mike Stinnett’s World record ,Shot at Denton, that much more impressive.:D

Glenn

Unnh huh……I agree with Boyd and Bill…I always said that shaky benches was partially responsible for some of my poor aggs. Another variable that can’t be fixed on match day. A serious one at that.

Dusty….The Bench design at Denton makes Mike Stinnett’s World record ,Shot at Denton, that much more impressive.:D

Glenn

Yes it does. I just couldnt concentrate with the right side of my gun overhanging the bench and my brass falling to the ground.

Back