Rail gun bbl length

Richard

Is there a preferred length? This is my first experience with a rail and I don't wan't to handicap myself. I would like to keep it as long as possible just for the reason of whacking off the threads and rechambering. Any advise would be appreciated.

Richard Brensing

A Little Different

I start out at 22 1/2, never longer. One of my better shooting barrels is one that is on about the 4th set-back. It measures about 18 3/4. It just barley will make it over the end of the bench.
I have my own reasons for not going over 22 1/2, most disagree with me, so 24 sounds like a good number.........jackie

It's an absolute positive 25 1/2

The very best barrel I ever had on my rail was 25-1/2 inches measured with a yardstick. All of the worst I ever had were 25-1/2 inches as well.

Jackie

I never saw a post or heard why you choose that length. If it does not start a controversey please in a few words mention perhaps why.

I am thinking barrel vibration in a short barrel calms down quicker than a longer tube when you place it back to battery

anyway thanks jeff

Jefferson

I have done quite a bit of velocity testing with my 6PPC over my 35p Chronograph. Anything above 22 1/2 inches produces such a small gain that I decided to keep the barrel as short and stiff as possible. Just my way of thinking. In fact, I still get over 3400 with a sub 20 incher.
Sometimes, though, I wish I would have left a barrel longer. For instance, that really great barrel that is on it's fourth setback, and still shoots quite well. If I would have started at 24, I might have got even more out of it.
It is amazing how some barrels just keep shooting as long as yopu keep a decent throat in it.........jackie

thanks jackie

the 3 rail barrels I got chambered up are full length and the first one seems to shoot well.

I thought of shortening it htough and I might

once again thanks I hope our family appreciates you as much of some of us
(and who actually shoot and have met you at the naitonals)

Jefferson

Yep, I heard from a guru that rail barrels should be 27''.... No, you didn't tell me that Jackie.. I know you like 'em a bit shorter!

Back