Questions for newbie

tiny68

I want to try a formal F/Class this year. Ranges that I have opinions to shoot somewhat locally vary from 600 to 1000 yds. I have only shot informal with friends - and not using true score board that was marked. That is what I am most unsure about. Never had the ability to look at a marked shots and adjust the following.

Here are a few questions:

1. Point me to some internet references that are starter guides and are accurate (I don't believe all I read on the internet).

2. In F/TR are rear bags allowed?

3. What are the weight restriction in both classes? Does it include the rest or bipod and bags?

4. Is there time to reload between legs or does everyone come preloaded? I have only shoot pointblank BR and reloaded between each leg.

5. Do you need to come in pairs to have someone mark/pull targets when you shot and then swap with them?

6. Scopes are my biggest uncertainty. I have T36s which track excellent, but I have shoot many days when a 36 power would be worthless because or mirage. I have a couple of SuperSnipers 16x (no laughing - it is a tough little scope with excellent tracking). I have a pair of 6-18x Burris Fullfields with very clear glass. I really want to use what I have before invest in something better. I have a NF 12-42x BR is on my wish list - not going to be soon. I have 20 MOA bases and I use Burris Signature Zee rings and can adjust the offset if needed.

7. Is a spotting scope required?

My practice is limited to 500 yds and less. Lately, I have been trying to shoot my Sako FinnFire Varmit at 100 yds prone for practice off a bipod. I really want to make this something my 12 yr old can participate in.

Thanks for any input and patience with my stupid questions. Tim

I want to try a formal F/Class this year. Ranges that I have opinions to shoot somewhat locally vary from 600 to 1000 yds. I have only shot informal with friends - and not using true score board that was marked. That is what I am most unsure about. Never had the ability to look at a marked shots and adjust the following.

Here are a few questions:

1. Point me to some internet references that are starter guides and are accurate (I don't believe all I read on the internet).

2. In F/TR are rear bags allowed? Yes

3. What are the weight restriction in both classes? F-TR = 18.15 lbs F-Open = 22 lbs. Does it include the rest or bipod and bags? Not the bags, and you can only shoot off a bipod in TR, and the weight of the bi-pod is included. In Open, the weight of the front rest is not included.

4. Is there time to reload between legs or does everyone come preloaded? No, you go to the pits and pull targets. I have only shoot pointblank BR and reloaded between each leg.

5. Do you need to come in pairs to have someone mark/pull targets when you shot and then swap with them? No, the match director will assign positions.

6. Scopes are my biggest uncertainty. I have T36s which track excellent, but I have shoot many days when a 36 power would be worthless because or mirage. I have a couple of SuperSnipers 16x (no laughing - it is a tough little scope with excellent tracking). I have a pair of 6-18x Burris Fullfields with very clear glass. I really want to use what I have before invest in something better. I have a NF 12-42x BR is on my wish list - not going to be soon. I have 20 MOA bases and I use Burris Signature Zee rings and can adjust the offset if needed. Most folks shoot high power scopes, and rarely do they turn them down.

7. Is a spotting scope required? Nope.

My practice is limited to 500 yds and less. Lately, I have been trying to shoot my Sako FinnFire Varmit at 100 yds prone for practice off a bipod. I really want to make this something my 12 yr old can participate in.

Thanks for any input and patience with my stupid questions. Tim

Answers above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark & Boyd - Thanks for the info. That helped. I will read a little more and then come back with more questions. Tim

tiny68: Suggest you contact the NRA, Competitions Shooting, (703) 267-1450, and request a copy of the NRA High Power Rule Book. Section 22 F-Class Rifle Rules begins on page 64 of my 2007 edition. It won't answer all your questions, but is still handy to have.

tiny, just thought I would let you know that you are not alone. Happy Hunting.

Tiny68,
Our rules come in two sizes:)
One is our High Power rules which can be found at http://www.nrahq.org...R/hpr-index.pdf The F-Class section is Section 22. Anything not covered there is in some other part of the book.
The book also covers our NMC's which are offhand, sitting RF, prone RF and SF prone. The second book is our Fullbore rules. http://www.nrahq.org...fullbore_10.pdf
Again the F-Class is in Section 22. This is the book used during our FB Nationals at Ration, NM known as the Spirit of America match (SoA).

I hope this helps.

Happy New Year,

Back