Questions about Beggs' Ultralite stock ??

Gene Beggs

The question I hear most often about the Ultralite is,

"Beggs, I notice your forend bolts directly to the barrel; doesn't that mess up the barrel harmonics, and what about bore distortion from those bolts?"

A rifle built on the Beggs Ultralite stock shoots and tunes exactly the same as any other. You can take two Sporters, identical in every way except one is stocked with a conventional one piece fiberglass stock and one in the Ultralight. Both rifles will show two bullet holes of vertical at 100 yards when completely out of tune and both will require a half turn of the tuner to bring into tune. Bore restriction from mounting the forend? No,, not a problem.

Another question that comes up quite often is,

"How much does it weigh?"

The stock alone weighs one pound seven ounces complete with the three 1/4x20 socket-head cap screws required for installation. To give you an idea of what is possible, let's say you have a Panda action with a 23 inch light varmint barrel. With the Ultralite stock, you can install a Beggs tuner, March scope and still make 10.5 pounds. :D

"So,, what are the advantages of the Beggs Ultralite over conventional stocks?" you ask. :rolleyes:

Well, for starters, it's quick and easy to install, no bedding, no paint and can be had for less than half the price of the average fiberglass stock. With the hard, black anodized finish, it is very durable and impervious to water and all solvents. Needs no lube of any kind, has the lowest center of gravity of any benchrest stock and rides the bags like no other.

"So,,,how do they shoot?" you ask.

Well, at the Bluebonnet this year in New Braunfels, Jerry Hensler shot a .187 five shot group at two hundred yards with his.

Hope this clears up some misconceptions.

Good shooting! :)

Gene Beggs

Last edited:
Gene,

What is the current price of your Ultralite stock? I sent an inquiry a few months back and was quoted a price significantly more than the most expensive fiberglass stocks.

Thanks for the info!

Roy

Gene,

What is the current price of your Ultralite stock? I sent an inquiry a few months back and was quoted a price significantly more than the most expensive fiberglass stocks.

Thanks for the info!

Roy

Roy, I'm not permitted to quote prices on the forum.

If you will e-mail me at genebeggs@cableone.net, I'll give you all the details.

Thanks

Gene Beggs

Gene,
Another shooter and I were discussing your stock today and the question came up about the need for a parallel section of bbl for the forend to mount to. Is this legal in centerfire? I think both the sanctioning bodies have pretty well defined bbl contour specifications.

Gene,
Another shooter and I were discussing your stock today and the question came up about the need for a parallel section of bbl for the forend to mount to. Is this legal in centerfire? I think both the sanctioning bodies have pretty well defined bbl contour specifications.

No machining is necessary to install the forend. The forend clamp is 3/4" wide. The barrel taper in that length is less than .010 and is easily accomodated by the compressibility of the shim. The stock is legal in both IBS and NBRSA.

Later,

Gene BEggs

Cool, I was under the mistaken impression that you had to machine the bbl so it had a parallel, non tapered section to install the forend.

On page 20 of the IBS rule book there is a sentence that reads "No additions or attachments shall be added to the barrel ........" with some further words allowing mirage shields and a tuner.

Crb

I believe the IBS Executive Committee had a meeting and ruled the Beggs Stock to be legal.

As for the barrel rule, machining a straight portion on the barrel is legal because the profile that results still falls within the dimensions as set forth in the Rules.............jackie

Last edited:
CRB,
The barrel profiles are maximum sizes. You can have any shape you want as long as it is no larger than the maximum at the same distance from the bolt face.
Boyd

Ultra lite

Mr. Beggs i hope you got my e-mail after talking with you Thursday morning -i'll be looking for UPS today or tomorrow!
thanks joe:)

Beggs Stock

Just so everyone is clear:

The IBS group committee did not say the beggs stock was "legal". But due to the wording in the rule book we were unable to say without a doubt that it is "illegal" therefore it is being allowed in competition until a precise determination is made.

andy

Free float or not? Barrel vibrations and other stuff

The debate over the Beggs Ultralite stock rages on. :mad: :rolleyes: The question that persists is;

"How in 'ell can a rifle shoot to its potential if the barrel is not free-floated? :mad: Everyone knows the barrel must be free-floated or it'll mess up the harmonics. Those bolts will restrict the bore and besides, that's just not the way we have always done it." :mad:

Okay guys, hold on for a moment and let me explain. First, understand we are talking about benchrest rifles, fired from a front rest and rear sandbag. If we were talking about hunting or tactical rifles the free-floated barrel would be the only way to go. Here we are talking about the extreme accuracy of benchrest shooting.

With the conventional benchrest stock of today the barrel is hanging out into space, completely supported by only the front receiver ring of the action. With the solid forend of the Beggs Ultralite stock, the barrel is completely supported at its center of gravity by the front rest. :eek: ;) Think about that for a moment. What does that do?

Well, for one thing it divides the barrel into two masses of equal weight. Whether or not that contributes to greater accuracy is yet to be determined but one thing for sure; it certainly doesn't hurt anything and it makes the rifle balance and ride the bags like a dream! :D

Rifles built on the Ultralite stock shoot and tune the same as any other BR rifle and vertical dispersion when out of tune is exactly the same, so that strongly suggests it doesn't matter one way or the other. :)

At one time, I thought that if we could stop the barrel from vibrating, "tune" would become irrevelant. Sadly, all efforts to stop barrel vibration failed miserably. Once I accepted the fact that barrels DOvibrate when fired no matter what, I realized, I had to find a way to cooperate with vibration rather than fight it. :rolleyes: :eek: The answer? The Beggs tuner! :D

Later,

Gene Beggs

Back