Question for the Old Boys

DR4NRA

Lately I have been noticing that very once in awhile I throw a shot about an inch off. I will have 4 in a nice tight hole, and then a flyer. I never really had this happen as frequently till I had to get Bi Focals :eek:. I have talked to a couple of local shooters who have progressive lenses, and they noticed the same thing. One suggested that by getting a pair of glasses with just the normal magnification for proper vision would be the cure. I also have noticed that I do tend to change my head position a little from time to time and this happens at just about the same time. I think I am moving my head just enough to catch the reading part of my lenses a litle and it is changing the sight picture. Any thoughts or ideas from those who have the same problem, namely age, would be helpful.

It could also be a couple of mechanical things.....

like WIND, or necks need annealing, list could go on and on. I wear Bi focals and have never had the problems that you describe.

Good luck!

Yep

My solution was to call Lehman Optical down in AZ, 1-800-255-0205..

Tell him what you want to use the glasses for, because when sighting through a scope you are most likely looking through a slightly different area of the lens. He will also put the bi focals in the correct place.

Hell I know guys because of their profession have bi focals on the top!

Glasses

I also wear glasses ( bi focals ). I take them off during shooting, I have my scopes focused to my eyes. Works for me. Hope this works for you.

I had progressive lens in both bi-focal and tri-focal. I had the same
problem you indicate.
I went back to the standard cut lens and the problem went away.

Tbear :D

I wear (lined) bifocals and haven't noticed this problem. Maybe with non-line bifocals it would be a problem, but I'd get an even worse stiff neck shooting if I tilted my head far enough back to look through the bifocals while shooting.

it aint you...

you got a bad scope...you culd hold a magnifyin glass crooked behind the scope and culdnt make it that wrong....I wuld guess that there is nothing wrong with your eyes or glasses....these scope problems can creep up on us and haunt us for years....we always wish the crosshairs wuld just fall out of place and get it over with..ahaha.....rather than tease us with good then ZAP one clear out of the pile....Roger

On Shooting Glasses.

I wear progressive lenses but take them off to shoot and just rely on the focus ability of my scopes. For iron sights, I asked an optomatrist and he said to just gret a set of cheap +1.5's which I did and I can see the sights and see distance as well. Your group problem sounds more like a reloading abberation. Try a different load or a different rifle and see what happens.:confused:

One solution

I use a Merit Eye Disk, to keep me looking through the same spot. Sometimes adjusting the iris makes the contrast better too!

I use my computer glasses for pistol shooting, they focus on the front sight, with an iris they really work cool.

But sadly, most of the flyers are just a lack of concentration, or ten thousand other things, including the bad scope expiper mentioned.

Back