Question for Gene Beggs

Al Nyhus

"It'll never work!"
Gene, regarding your tuner: Have you found any issues with where the tuner is placed in relationship to the end of the barrel? Can it be 'too far back' from the muzzle to be effective?

Thanks in advance! :) -Al

I can't speak for Gene, but..........

My Beggs tuner seems to repeat at 360 degree intervals.............I.E. the verticle is tuned out with every complete turn of the tuner. I have seen some horizontal that was not due to conditions, and a complete 360 took that away. I guess I should say if the adjustment seems to take the verticle away, but induces horizontal, screw the thing one turn towards the action.
I hope that is understandable. Gene will pick up on this, no doubt.
BA

Gene, regarding your tuner: Have you found any issues with where the tuner is placed in relationship to the end of the barrel? Can it be 'too far back' from the muzzle to be effective?

Thanks in advance! :) -Al

Al, my standard installation is to measure back from the muzzle 1.750 and turn a .625 length diameter to .875 to .900, thread 28 tpi. The one inch portion in front of the tuner is turned to .850 which perfectly fits a two liter soft drink bottle to catch the spray from the cleaning brush and patches. Works good!

As far as the location is concerned, I have not found it to be critical. The farthest aft of the muzzle I have placed a tuner was two inches and it worked fine. One shooter said he threaded only the first .625 of the muzzle and installed the tuner flush with the muzzle. He said this resulted in less vertical dispersion when the rifle was out of tune, but I have not tried it. I encourage experimentation but I assure you, my installation works perfectly and is repeatable from one rifle to the next.

Bryan Armatys is correct, the range from one node to another is one turn, which means you cannot be more than a half turn out of tune regardless of conditions. As Bryan said, if the rifle shows horizontal when you get the vertical out, you can rotate the tuner out another revolution and tune in that window and the horizontal will usually disappear. My standard 'zero' or starting point is to turn the tuner all the way in to the end of the threads and back it out one revolution, setting the reference mark at 12:00 o'clock.

At one time, I was led to believe that only weight added beyond the muzzle affected tune. I was delighted when I discovered the weight could also be placed behind the muzzle; results were the same. The vibration frequency of the barrel is raised and lowered as you move any weight fore and aft.

Later,

Gene Beggs

Thanks Gene and Bryan. :)

Looking foward to doin' some tinkerin'. -Al

T1-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Does the barrel O.D matter?

Would an HBR size and weight barrel require a lighter or heavier tuner than, say an HV barrel, of the same length?

Would an HBR size and weight barrel require a lighter or heavier tuner than, say an HV barrel, of the same length?

Pete, thats a good question. I don't think there is any definitive answer though. All tuners attached to any barrel will change barrel vibrations, and weight is only part of the equation. I think Varmint Al's data showed that the stiffer the barrel, the less weight it required to stabilize the muzzle. I don't think there is any real world evidence that supports that data. Gene's tuners are light compared to most in use, but work to help dampen muzzle oscillations all the same. I've not used a behind the muzzle tuner, but I have made beyond the muzzle tuners that were the same weight as Gene's. Did it work? Sure, but it required the tuner be adjusted more often than a heavier tuner. That's why I settled on 5.5oz-6oz tuners. Most days, I find myself changing the tuner setting once, if at all. Some days I may have to change it more than that, but that's rare. I don't know how often other tuners need adjustment, but I'm like the fact that I can concentrate on the flags most of the time with mine. I use mine on HV barrels and a LV contour I came up with to allow me to make weight with my current LV rifles. Its a far cry from a HV contour as for stiffness and weight, and both contours react the same to the tuners. FWIW

Thanks Hal

That is great feedback. I am hoping I can use a lighter thuner for HBR rifles. I think it is not that easy to pare an extra 6 oz off them for a tuner. I am thinking the weight would need to come off the big end and mebby fluting or turning the barrel down in steps, etc, etc.

I'm suspect some folks have fitted tuners to HBR barrels by now but have not heard of one personally. I was hoping to do some of that this winter but I have some problems here @ home to deal with first.

Thanks again. Pete

Hal D.

I've not used a behind the muzzle tuner, but I have made beyond the muzzle tuners that were the same weight as Gene's. Did it work? Sure, but it required the tuner be adjusted more often than a heavier tuner. That's why I settled on 5.5oz-6oz tuners.

Hal, Do you have a picture of your tuner? How far is the weight in front of the muzzle?

Hal, Do you have a picture of your tuner? How far is the weight in front of the muzzle?

Tuner.jpg

Here you go Joel, this is the design that I settled on. It weighs 5.8oz, although the latest ones are closer to 5.5ozs. Its tapered from 1.2" down to 1" at its smallest OD. That only leaves around .1" of meat where the threads are, putting almost all of the weight beyond the muzzle. It's 2.1" long, and only .6" of internal threads.

Thanks Al. Are you having success with it?

It just went on the gun this past Monday (12/15). This HBR taper barrel was .840 @ the muzzle. The NBRSA HBR taper is roughly .024 per inch, so the threads pick up at a point about 1.5-2" behind the muzzle on this barrel.

Winter is settling in pretty hard here...just came in from moving 4" of fresh stuff off the driveway and sidewalks. Temps are single digits and the high tomorrow will be -5 degrees. So no testing for a while. A warm beach in Mexico after Christmas is sounding pretty good to me right now. Maybe I can find a resort that as a rifle range nearby? Now that would be my kind of an 'all inclusive' deal.

Al ...

No need to go to Mexico. Come on down to Austin! The low/high for the next 10 days of weather in Manor, which is where the Austin Rifle Club is located, goes like this: 59/76, 40/78, 29/48, 37/46, 44/67, 47/72, 49/76, 49/71, 47/71, 43/65 (our Sunday Hunter match day). If you have a trailer or one of those big fancy motor homes, we have hook-ups at the range. Art

Thanks Al,

It just went on the gun this past Monday (12/15). This HBR taper barrel was .840 @ the muzzle. The NBRSA HBR taper is roughly .024 per inch, so the threads pick up at a point about 1.5-2" behind the muzzle on this barrel.

Winter is settling in pretty hard here...just came in from moving 4" of fresh stuff off the driveway and sidewalks. Temps are single digits and the high tomorrow will be -5 degrees. So no testing for a while. A warm beach in Mexico after Christmas is sounding pretty good to me right now. Maybe I can find a resort that as a rifle range nearby? Now that would be my kind of an 'all inclusive' deal.

I had intended to be where I could dress in a tee shirt every day before this date but here is still am in a Winter Wonderland. I intended to be testing something like yours before now but - - - -. My intention is to become a Winter Texan but it hasn't come together yet. I wish you well in Mexaco. The news about the goings on there aren't very pleasnat though.

Back