Question about Hall actions

andre3k

I see discussion almost every single day about Kelbly, Stiller and Bat actions. Is anyone using Hall actions anymore? Why are they not popular among Benchrest shooters anymore?

Just Happen to Shoot a Hall Action

Andre
Nothing wrong with the Hall action in Benchrest. Example Tony Boyer has one, he has won many pts with his. The Hall action was one of the early Custom actions that Alan Hall built I have the Hall S designed for the 10 1/2 lb BR gun. You could also use the S for a 13 1/2 lb HV. Alan has other actions that most would use for a 13 1/2 lb gun such as the M and B models. Lot of Rail guns use all 3 Hall BR actions. One would need to travel the BR circut to see how many Hall actions are still used. Also Andre the first article in the 'The Benchrest Shooting Primer' features Alan Hall with Geraci and Jeff Fowler talking Super Shoot back in 1981. Alan is being questioned about using his Hall action back then. I might be prejudiced about actions but of the Customs my feeling is the 2 best of all time have to include the Hall and the Kelbly/Stolle.

Now with all that said there are how many BR actions currently out there? What I know of there are to buy Kelbly/Stolle, BAT, Stiller, Borden, Farley, Neiska, Hall, Shilen maybe others. Then there are old guy actions like Remington, Wichita, Mc Millan, old style Shilen, Weber and others. Andre mucho actions to choose from. From what I understand Hall actions are still being built somebody else will have to provide the link.

To summarize what you asked Hall BR actions. Hall actions won against the best like the actions today do. Never turn down a Hall action if the price is right, always the price.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Last edited:
Stephen,

Thanks for the detailed reply. I contacted him a few months back on getting an action and his lead time was very reasonable. I was a bit concerned about going with hall because I've heard very little about them recently although I knew they were quite popular in years past. Your post clears up a lot of my concerns.

Benchrest is a Sport

Andre
As in all Sports there are those that know and those that don't. Be friendly with the un-informed but get the hey out of Dodge when they start talking. Let it be said Let it be Done.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

IIRC the Hall is the safest RBLP CF BR action out there due to the large dia bolt body that prevents anything from coming back at the shooter in the event of a case head failure.

Hall Action

Ain't that the truth CRB. I have had my Hall acton BR gun same one you described since 1994. I bought mine off the famous Guthrie shooters that shot Visalia BR Range, low 300 S/N. They had at least 3 maybe more Hall actions in Six stocks. I got a Hall S with a Leupold 36x old style scope $1200. Stu Harvey and Lee Six did the work on all the Guthrie guns. Who knows how many barrels were on the action before I bought mine. Since I have had the action I have put on at least 10 barrel, probably more. Many 10,000's of bullets down range with this one action, I swear it shoots like new.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Last edited:
If you want a Hall.....ask alan to build you a Hall "DS" action. You won't find it on his sight but he'll know what your talking about.

Hovis

Tim
Ifyou have a Hall S invest in a Hall B next. With a Hall B or Big you will have a action for a HV, Cruiser, or Unlimited. Hall Actions are, still, and will be one of the desired BR actions for many moons to go. Let it be Said Let it be Done.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Back