Project Rifle

tonykharper

I have competed building and testing my latest project rifle. Some of you know I do this as a hobby and only build two or three rifles a year.

My objective is to build fully capable rifles that can compete at any level in RFBR.

Building these rifles can take more time than one would expect. Getting all the right parts together is a large part of that time.

As everyone knows getting actions, barrels, triggers, and stocks can take time. Once the parts are obtained putting them together is the fun part.

Much has been said lately about "blueprinting". I don't want to get into that too deep, but I will say every part of the rife has to be touched to some degree or another to get the best result. It may only require a little polishing here or there; it may need machining to correct certain angles. or it could be adjusting correctly to get the timing right. Whatever it needs it gets or it doesn't perform to its optimum level. All of this takes time but for me that is the fun part.

When you finally get to the shooting part that can be fun too or it can be a nightmare. When a rifle will not shoot to expectations it can drive you crazy.
Misdiagnosis of what is the problem can be the most frustrating. I have replaced a lot of parts that had nothing to do with why a certain rifle would not shoot to expectations.

After chasing these problems for a while you do get a little better at it. Since these rifles are built for me, I use only the parts I know work well. When something new comes along I will try it, and I may try it more than once, but if it doesn't show me it is an improvement, I go back to the tried and true.

Yes, I want to advance, if I don't try it, I'll never know, but I'll drop it in a heartbeat if it doesn't prove itself.

I believe many combinations of parts can be put together is such a way as to create a winning rifle. There is no one way, and there is no one anything, that trumps all other combinations. As Ivan Wells once said it is the "package".

I normally shoot these rifles in competition locally against other Hall of Fame shooters. I don't consider them finished until they have won a match or two.

There are other things done to these rifles that have nothing to do with their performance. If you study the pics you will see them. I like to think these things set these rifles apart from all others.

TKH

Attachments

• r111.jpeg
    r111.jpeg
    184.3 KB · Views: 90
  • r22.jpeg
    r22.jpeg
    245.5 KB · Views: 86
  • r33.jpeg
    r33.jpeg
    187.2 KB · Views: 84
  • r44.jpeg
    r44.jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 81
  • r55.jpeg
    r55.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 81
  • r9.jpeg
    r9.jpeg
    57.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 11degreecrown.jpeg
    11degreecrown.jpeg
    66.3 KB · Views: 26
  • V1turbologo.jpeg
    V1turbologo.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
It shoots well. It is limited only by ammo and the guy pointing it.
It is a pleasure to shoot. The bolt lift and closure is smooth and progressive. The trigger break is consistent, feels like breaking glass. It tracks straight in the rest, and extracts and ejects as it should.
Gives you the feeling of complete control.
But all of this is expected. I’ve built several rifles using these same components and will keep doing so until something comes along that convinces me it’s a step up.

BTW: the scope on the rifle is a Leopold competition 40x. These are fine scopes but one can argue there are better available. The Nightforce 15X55, Kahles 10X50, or March 10X50s. I have all of these but test new builds with the Leupold.

TKH

I know what you mean, taking time...
I think it's one of the most demanding aspects of a new rifle. I have learned, like with wine (don't smile), rifles do mature and peak. Understanding when they start to enter that curve is key.
Components and master building aside, picking the right ammo is crucial too. Knowing this should prepare us to use different lots during the rifle life curve. That's why I keep track of all my rifles (including different barrels) with different ammo, reason you can find around my house 10~12 lots.
I'm a lucky owner of TKH's rifles.
Funny enough they don't carry any special designation, nor they are called SPEC. However, I can assure you, they are amongst the best there is...

Thanks Tony.

I know what you mean, taking time...
I think it's one of the most demanding aspects of a new rifle. I have learned, like with wine (don't smile), rifles do mature and peak. Understanding when they start to enter that curve is key.
Components and master building aside, picking the right ammo is crucial too. Knowing this should prepare us to use different lots during the rifle life curve. That's why I keep track of all my rifles (including different barrels) with different ammo, reason you can find around my house 10~12 lots.
I'm a lucky owner of TKH's rifles.
Funny enough they don't carry any special designation, nor they are called SPEC. However, I can assure you, they are amongst the best there is...

Thanks Tony.
Pedro,

Thank you for the kind words. I'm going to take that as an endorsement, and it means a lot coming from you.

I truly enjoy building these rifles. There was a time when I was hell bent on winning matches, the big matches, but my situation has changed such as not to allow me to attend many big matches, so I have replaced them with building rifles.

Thanks again.

TKH

Tony, I & suspect everyone, really appreciate your willingness to share. Not only here with your builds but especially with your findings, & when asked, forthright advice.
Thanks
Thanks Keith,

I have spent a great deal of time and money trying to find out what really makes rimfires tick. I've often been surprised when other people's experience has been radically different from mine. I've been even more surprised by what can and often happens at a match.

I recall the first PSL 2500 score that was shot. It happened at the barn in North Carolina. There were at least three relays for that match. After the second card was shot guys started saying someone had shot a perfect score, a 2500.

Many of us thought that would never happen. A little later I heard the guy that did it shooting a rifle he had bought used the night before the match. Bought it from Dan Killough at the match.

I knew Dan had four rifles for sale because I had looked at all of them. None looked to me to be anything really special but three were much better than the last one. The last one looked pretty beat.

When I asked which rifle shot the 2500 the reply it was "the ugly one". Not only that, but the ugly one also had a broken scope. One of the crosshairs was laying in the bottom of the scope.

I was sure they were having me on. This could not be true. But when the cards were finally put on the wall it was indeed true and there was no doubt it was an honest 2500.

The story was the guy bought the rifle, used ammo he had brought from home to be shot in another rifle but when he tested his new buy, he was so impressed he shot the new rifle in the match broken scope and all.

The guy was from Northern Pa. and he was a good shooter but didn't attend National matches. I think his name was Tim Straton. This was his first time shooting the PSL target.

I tell this story to illustrate everyone has a chance at a rimfire match. Show up and shoot!

TKH

Thanks Keith,

I have spent a great deal of time and money trying to find out what really makes rimfires tick. I've often been surprised when other people's experience has been radically different from mine. I've been even more surprised by what can and often happens at a match.

I recall the first PSL 2500 score that was shot. It happened at the barn in North Carolina. There were at least three relays for that match. After the second card was shot guys started saying someone had shot a perfect score, a 2500.

Many of us thought that would never happen. A little later I heard the guy that did it shooting a rifle he had bought used the night before the match. Bought it from Dan Killough at the match.

I knew Dan had four rifles for sale because I had looked at all of them. None looked to me to be anything really special but three were much better than the last one. The last one looked pretty beat.

When I asked which rifle shot the 2500 the reply it was "the ugly one". Not only that, but the ugly one also had a broken scope. One of the crosshairs was laying in the bottom of the scope.

I was sure they were having me on. This could not be true. But when the cards were finally put on the wall it was indeed true and there was no doubt it was an honest 2500.

The story was the guy bought the rifle, used ammo he had brought from home to be shot in another rifle but when he tested his new buy, he was so impressed he shot the new rifle in the match broken scope and all.

The guy was from Northern Pa. and he was a good shooter but didn't attend National matches. I think his name was Tim Straton. This was his first time shooting the PSL target.

I tell this story to illustrate everyone has a chance at a rimfire match. Show up and shoot!

TKH
I have competed building and testing my latest project rifle. Some of you know I do this as a hobby and only build two or three rifles a year.

My objective is to build fully capable rifles that can compete at any level in RFBR.

Building these rifles can take more time than one would expect. Getting all the right parts together is a large part of that time.

As everyone knows getting actions, barrels, triggers, and stocks can take time. Once the parts are obtained putting them together is the fun part.

Much has been said lately about "blueprinting". I don't want to get into that too deep, but I will say every part of the rife has to be touched to some degree or another to get the best result. It may only require a little polishing here or there; it may need machining to correct certain angles. or it could be adjusting correctly to get the timing right. Whatever it needs it gets or it doesn't perform to its optimum level. All of this takes time but for me that is the fun part.

When you finally get to the shooting part that can be fun too or it can be a nightmare. When a rifle will not shoot to expectations it can drive you crazy.
Misdiagnosis of what is the problem can be the most frustrating. I have replaced a lot of parts that had nothing to do with why a certain rifle would not shoot to expectations.

After chasing these problems for a while you do get a little better at it. Since these rifles are built for me, I use only the parts I know work well. When something new comes along I will try it, and I may try it more than once, but if it doesn't show me it is an improvement, I go back to the tried and true.

Yes, I want to advance, if I don't try it, I'll never know, but I'll drop it in a heartbeat if it doesn't prove itself.

I believe many combinations of parts can be put together is such a way as to create a winning rifle. There is no one way, and there is no one anything, that trumps all other combinations. As Ivan Wells once said it is the "package".

I normally shoot these rifles in competition locally against other Hall of Fame shooters. I don't consider them finished until they have won a match or two.

There are other things done to these rifles that have nothing to do with their performance. If you study the pics you will see them. I like to think these things set these rifles apart from all others.

TKH
Hi Tony,
Is it possible that you explain why you chose a Turbo V 1 rather than a V3 and a Muller 8 grooves to build this magnificent rifle?
Thanks for all your sharing of information and the photos to illustrate
Etienne

Etienne,

Thank you for your question.

This rifle was built as a result of me being able to obtain the parts quickly and easily.

I have built a number of Turbo V1's and V3s.

As you probably know the Turbo V1 has a longer bolt lift, longer firing pin fall, and of course two locking lugs.

The Turbo V3 has three lugs, a shorter bolt lift and shorter firing pin fall. Many find this shorter lift, although a little harder, to be more comfortable to operate. I don't really have a preference.

Now the part you want to hear. Which is more accurate. 2 lug, or 3 lug. If you study the geometry the 3 lug should be more accurate.

Many knowledgeable people will tell you it is.

I can't really prove that although I have tried many times. With that being said, the most accurate rifles I have shot and still shoot are two lugs.

When I was offered the chance to buy a New Turbo V1 action I jumped on it.

Note: If anyone has new Turbo V1 or V3 sitting around not being used hit me up.

The other question was about the Muller 8 groove barrel. I have had great luck with Muller 4 groove MIs, Shilen Ractchets, and Muller 8 grooves. For the past 4-5 years Paul Tovalstat has been supplying me with 8 grooves that just work. I had one on hand and it slugged well, so I used it with full expectations that it would shoot, and it does not disappoint.

Although you didn't ask, the trigger it is a Flavio Fare 2.1 Whisper trigger. The tuner is a Harrel's, and the stock is a Rotex high profile.

Again, thanks for your question. I hope this was what you were looking for.

TKH

Tony,

I copied and pasted this quote from your above response:

“As you probably know the Turbo V1 has a longer bolt lift, longer firing pin fall, and of course two locking lugs.

The Turbo V3 has three lugs, a shorter bolt lift and shorter firing pin fall. Many find this shorter lift, although a little harder, to be more comfortable to operate. I don't really have a preference.”

To clarify, unless the V1 you purchased was manufactured prior to March of 2023, it has the same shorter pin fall amount and uses the same spring as the current model V3 we supply. Concurrently, a V1 produced prior to March of 2023 will have the same pin fall amount and use the same spring as our V3 models produced prior to March of 2023. The changes implemented in the V3 design regarding firing pin spring and pin fall amount were also implemented in the V1 actions.

I don’t mean to high jack your thread, just wanted to provide information concerning the design.BTW, that’s a beautiful rifle as all of your project builds are.

Best Regards, Anthony DiOrio

Tony,

I copied and pasted this quote from your above response:

“As you probably know the Turbo V1 has a longer bolt lift, longer firing pin fall, and of course two locking lugs.

The Turbo V3 has three lugs, a shorter bolt lift and shorter firing pin fall. Many find this shorter lift, although a little harder, to be more comfortable to operate. I don't really have a preference.”

To clarify, unless the V1 you purchased was manufactured prior to March of 2023, it has the same shorter pin fall amount and uses the same spring as the current model V3 we supply. Concurrently, a V1 produced prior to March of 2023 will have the same pin fall amount and use the same spring as our V3 models produced prior to March of 2023. The changes implemented in the V3 design regarding firing pin spring and pin fall amount were also implemented in the V1 actions.

I don’t mean to high jack your thread, just wanted to provide information concerning the design.BTW, that’s a beautiful rifle as all of your project builds are.

Best Regards, Anthony DiOrio
Anthony,

Thanks for the clarification. We appreciate any input you provide. And thanks for making the Turbo actions and all the other things you manufacture to support our sport.

The IR 50/50 Nationals will be held at the Fairchance Gun Club in Smithfield Pa. It will be the end of September.

They will have the Sporter National, the 3-Gun National, the Unlimited National, and the Factory National all on one weekend.

We hope to have a big crowd. It would be an honor to have you attend our National and see first hand what we do with your equipment. Please consider attending.

TKH

Tony,

Thank you very much for your detailed and reasoned answer, you have informed me beyond my expectations!

I really appreciate high-performance shooters like you, Pedro and a few others who generously share their knowledge and experiences.

Etienne

Anthony,

Thanks for the clarification. We appreciate any input you provide. And thanks for making the Turbo actions and all the other things you manufacture to support our sport.

The IR 50/50 Nationals will be held at the Fairchance Gun Club in Smithfield Pa. It will be the end of September.

They will have the Sporter National, the 3-Gun National, the Unlimited National, and the Factory National all on one weekend.

We hope to have a big crowd. It would be an honor to have you attend our National and see first hand what we do with your equipment. Please consider attending.

TKH
Tony,

Thank you for your continued support of our products, it is appreciated as are all of our customers. Thank you for extending the invitation, I’ll see if I can make it to the Nationals this year. I’ve attended a few matches at Piney Hill over the years and spent an afternoon at the ABRA Nationals last year. I don’t know about my presence being an honor, I am flattered by the sentiment. I’m just a guy who makes things to earn a living, I’m no one special. I don’t compete, I enjoy designing and manufacturing the various products we produce and I’m always thinking about new stuff. Receiving input from competitors and builders, like yourself, is truly an invaluable asset. The feedback, both good and bad, helps to guide me and the company’s direction concerning existing and new products, we couldn’t do it without the support and input from the rimfire community.

Best Regards, Anthony

Tony,

Thank you for your continued support of our products, it is appreciated as are all of our customers. Thank you for extending the invitation, I’ll see if I can make it to the Nationals this year. I’ve attended a few matches at Piney Hill over the years and spent an afternoon at the ABRA Nationals last year. I don’t know about my presence being an honor, I am flattered by the sentiment. I’m just a guy who makes things to earn a living, I’m no one special. I don’t compete, I enjoy designing and manufacturing the various products we produce and I’m always thinking about new stuff. Receiving input from competitors and builders, like yourself, is truly an invaluable asset. The feedback, both good and bad, helps to guide me and the company’s direction concerning existing and new products, we couldn’t do it without the support and input from the rimfire community.

Best Regards, Anthony
Anthony, I would beg to differ on your comment. You are a special guy (and company) who produces some of the best rimfire equipment in the world. I have two V1 Turbo's and they have been absolutely reliable and accurate since the day I picked them up. Your company is one of the few remaining manufacturing companies making actions for our sport and I appreciate using American made hardware in my rifles.

Thanks for all you do for our sport!

Larry Mills

My new build broke its maiden today. In case you haven't heard that expression before it come from the racehorse industry.

When a young horse wins his/her first race they say the horse broke its maiden. In this case my new build won its first competition.

The field was full of Hall of Fame shooters and the conditions weren't the best. As the saying goes you had to be there.

I'm going to post this target, not that I think it is a killer target, but it was the best that was done today in those conditions.

TKH

Attachments

• 250-20.jpeg
    250-20.jpeg
    198 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Congrats Tony. Which is something I know you’ve heard over a thousand times. Still nice to hear and it’s a beautiful Rifle that shoots great.

I have yet to win a match with mine. Although I have had it shooting well enough to.a few times. I’ve been like holy 💩 wow. But I failed and missed them tough conditions you spoke about. It’s been a tough year for me, trying to find good shooting ammo and enough good shooting ammo to get much needed practice in.
It’s my first year with a RFBR Rifle. I hope to get better. Maybe. 🤔

Congrats Tony. Which is something I know you’ve heard over a thousand times. Still nice to hear and it’s a beautiful Rifle that shoots great.

I have yet to win a match with mine. Although I have had it shooting well enough to.a few times. I’ve been like holy 💩 wow. But I failed and missed them tough conditions you spoke about. It’s been a tough year for me, trying to find good shooting ammo and enough good shooting ammo to get much needed practice in.
It’s my first year with a RFBR Rifle. I hope to get better. Maybe. 🤔
Frank,

Thanks for the kind words.

Don't worry about your shooting. It will get easier as you spend more time behind your rifle.

RFBR is not an easy game. Someone once said it appears to be so easy yet in fact is it so hard.

Everyone across the country complains about the shooting conditions in their area. I've shot in a lot of them, and I've never found one that was easy.

Years ago, there was a range (still is) that they claimed if you didn't shoot a 250 there you would never shoot a 250. They thought it was that good.

The story goes the range was down a high banked ditch and at one side of the range there was a tree they cut the side out of to shoot through it.

That was the honey hole. I later heard the tree has been cut down and all the honey is gone.

Good shooting. Hope to see you at Fairchance, especially at the Nationals.

TKH

Back