primer pockets loose after only 1 firing

6br4u2

Ok Lapua .243 brass fired only one time ...from brand new

then went to load up some more and we have loosey goose primer pockets!

1. no bolt lift problems at all
2. slight ejector wipe almost can't see it
3. when I go to full length size I could really neck size only they chamber and feed just fine with a easy bolt close
so why are the primer pockets so loose after only one firing

shot tons of Lapua and never had this problem

Pressure I guess however no other Pressure signs at all

thanks

Measure casehead expansion on fired casings compared to unfired casings. How loose is loosey goosey? They fall out by themselves, can be pushed in with finger pressure, or just not as much pressure with a hand priming tool? Did you blow any primers during your shooting?

How was primer seating on first firing?

It's possible that this batch of cases got out with soft heads too. Unusual for Lapua for sure, but everyone screws up from time to time, even the best.

Do you have any of these cases in new, unfired condition? If so it might be a good idea to contact Lapua's US distributor, even if all you have are once fired cases it might be a good idea.

Measure casehead expansion on fired casings compared to unfired casings. How loose is loosey goosey? They fall out by themselves, can be pushed in with finger pressure, or just not as much pressure with a hand priming tool? Did you blow any primers during your shooting?

have not measured case head exp....

not as much pressure with hand priming tool...Yes for sure

And did not blow any primers during firing

How was primer seating on first firing?

It's possible that this batch of cases got out with soft heads too. Unusual for Lapua for sure, but everyone screws up from time to time, even the best.

Do you have any of these cases in new, unfired condition? If so it might be a good idea to contact Lapua's US distributor, even if all you have are once fired cases it might be a good idea.

First thanks for the reply

Primer seating was not "hard" as some however much more pressure than after first firing

I do have some brand new ones still in the box
Its just weird I know

Load's too hot.

That IS the primary and most reliable sign. Primer pockets get loose from casehead expansion. Your load exceeded the strength of the brass case.

Drop your charge.

al

Load's too hot.

That IS the primary and most reliable sign. Primer pockets get loose from casehead expansion. Your load exceeded the strength of the brass case.

Drop your charge.

al

I know however there are NO other pressure signs at all ...none just loose primer pockets

Ok Lapua .243 brass fired only one time ...from brand new

then went to load up some more and we have loosey goose primer pockets!

1. no bolt lift problems at all
2. slight ejector wipe almost can't see it
3. when I go to full length size I could really neck size only they chamber and feed just fine with a easy bolt close
so why are the primer pockets so loose after only one firing

shot tons of Lapua and never had this problem

Pressure I guess however no other Pressure signs at all

thanks

Have you shot "tons" of Lapua before in this same rifle? Either the load is the culprit, or the rifle is.

If it's a new (to you) rifle, then maybe the chamber is oversize and the case head expansion is resulting in primer pocket looseness.

If you've shot reloads in this same rifle before without any problems, then it's your current loads. If you've not shot reloads in this rifle before, then it could be the rifle. Try shooting factory ammo in the rifle, if it's in a compatible chambering. Then try to reload the factory once-fired brass, and see if the primer pockets are loose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you shot "tons" of Lapua before in this same rifle? Either the load is the culprit, or the rifle is.

If it's a new (to you) rifle, then maybe the chamber is oversize and the case head expansion is resulting in primer pocket looseness.

If you've shot reloads in this same rifle before without any problems, then it's your current loads. If you've not shot reloads in this rifle before, then it could be the rifle. Try shooting factory ammo in the rifle, if it's in a compatible chambering. Then try to reload the factory once-fired brass, and see if the primer pockets are loose.

Good point Bill

I totally agree with your points made in your post

Its just weird to me with all the Lapua brass I have used in other guns in other calibers over the years ....that I know I have loaded hot and have not had this issue to this degree

Good post
Thanks

Is this a new lot or box of brass that you are using or have you shot some of this brass with the same load and not had the primer pockets loosen up?

I simply can't agree with this assertion. I purposely make my chambers grossly oversize, larger than the largest factory spec....

Oversized chamber does not and cannot make for early brass failure IMO (An opinion formed by owning as many as five reamers in progressivey larger sizes from min/min to nine thousandths over)

if anyone cares to illustrate in words, or DESCRIBE FROM ACTUAL EXPERIENCE, how one can "contain" caseheads against expansion....... I'm all ears! But I've actually spent the money and TRIED IT using both fitted chambers and fitted boltfaces.

al

Is this a new lot or box of brass that you are using or have you shot some of this brass with the same load and not had the primer pockets loosen up?

bought 300 brand new and 250 pcs shot it in this chamber...

I think right now its a combo ...a little warm ( even though there is absolutely No bolt lift,cratering,or any other signs of pressure) and the fact that maybe this lot of Brass might be just a tad "soft"..

still love Lapua

Do you happen to remember the temperature when you shot the ones that loosened the primer pockets verses the other ones? I think your load is a little warm, just trying to nail down why these pockets got loose when others didn't on another day.

Do you happen to remember the temperature when you shot the ones that loosened the primer pockets verses the other ones? I think your load is a little warm, just trying to nail down why these pockets got loose when others didn't on another day.

They all are loose as for as I can tell

It was if I remember, my last match was in September, and it was in the Mid 80's to low 90's on the original firing

No chance you were using a load that you'd previously used with cases of different internal capacity?

Nope....same lot of powder and primers used and they all came right out of those nice little Lapua boxes and prepped a bit then shot

I appreciate the info from you folks

Like I said maybe a combo effect of temp and a bit on the "soft" side Lot (maybe) and the load itself

This did happen to me with brand new Nosler custom brass in 22-250, but I wouldn't have expected it with Lapua. I do want to try out the new 22-250 Lapua that's comming out.

6br4u2
4-5 years ago I would take Lapua 6BR brass out of the box add 31.5 grains of Varget and go shooting.Today I take the brass out of the box load it with 28 grains of Varget and lose 5-8 cases out of every 100 because they will no longer hold a primer.
My fathers Dasher has now broken 2 jewell triggers with the new brass and light loads and in the past it was never a problem with heavy loads.
We now shoot all of our brass twice before using loads that have worked for 8+ years.
The good old days are gone.
Wateerboy

Back