Powder Residue AR 15 Bolt

4 Liberty

Shot 120 rounds Winchester USA223R1 using well-oiled (Rem oil) bolt and carrier in a direct impingment mil spec AR 15. Bolt and carrier were gritty with lots of black oily residue. Noticable increase in resistance when sliding bolt back and forth, but rifle functioned flawlessly. Is this what I should be seeing at 120 rounds and is the mil spec AR 15 an oil-everything, a tiny-bit-of-oil, or a no-oil system? And lastly, would the residue blow away if the bolt and carrier were not oiled?

yes to both the question and the recommendation for ar15.com

there is carbon in the gasses..it does travel.,the oil is just a magnet.....

That is normal. Light oil film reccomended, CLP is GI standard. We shoot min 240rds between a wipe & oil in testing everyday.

I like to soak my bolts in slick 50 and use royal purple or mobil 1 synthetic oil. Usually a simple wipe down cleans it right up but if not simple green in an ultrasonic cleaner makes it look new. This is not after 100rd joyshoots either ive melted handguards on a few for different tests for folks with no failures due to anything that wasnt broken. Of course im not the only one that uses this method if you do a quick search.

Back