powder lot variation wt VS volume

alinwa

oft dis'd member
So I will sometimes see where a guy will comment "this powder varies wildly from lot to lot."

While another fellow will comment "I've found this powder to be consistent lot-to-lot."

I weigh everything, then set clicks to my wt.

Many folks I know never weigh PPC powders... volume only.

Has anyone noticed powder varying BY VOLUME from lot to lot but being consistent BY WEIGHT?

Or vice versa?

yes
IMHO
several powders produce the same energy
at a given volume, tho the weight may vary a little.

and then the guys that say to let new powder "breathe"
like a fine wine, and then work with it. let that new smell go away.

Lot to Lot: To Measure is to know.

I think it’s more of a trial an error thing where you see which way works best and if you are set on only weighing or metering you may be leaving something on the table.
I love theory but when it comes to NC load development I think testing is a better option. NC chemical and physical properties are interlinked and variable. Its mass Energy content (nitrogen) is directly related to its solid density which is measured by weight per unit of volume but its Energy content by volume is complex and has to do more with things like chemical composition, structure make-up, surface treatment, grain dimensions and Load Density; to name a few.

BR

Ken

I think it’s more of a trial an error thing where you see which way works best and if you are set on only weighing or metering you may be leaving something on the table.
I love theory but when it comes to NC load development I think testing is a better option. NC chemical and physical properties are interlinked and variable. Its mass Energy content (nitrogen) is directly related to its solid density which is measured by weight per unit of volume but its Energy content by volume is complex and has to do more with things like chemical composition, structure make-up, surface treatment, grain dimensions and Load Density; to name a few.

BR

Ken

And that is your mic drop!
Concise, accurate and points out the fact that none of us (well most of us) don't have the type of equipment to actually know the difference. So all we can do is ask the gun.
Just as an aside Lot 6 of LT32 on my Harrel measure weighs 28.35 (avg) vs Lot 10 @ 28.2 (avg) same setting.
Since I weigh all my charges it doesn't matter to me but to get the same velocity I had to be at the same weight.
(more volume).
JMHO
Greg

i think this is common
over the counter powders can only vary so much
ALL LOAD DATA IS PUBLISHED IN WEIGHTS.
the same weight the same vel, tho it may be more or less vol of powder.
volume is what br shooters see change,
do not know how many weigh to see if the vol change is actually the same weight.

And that is your mic drop!
Concise, accurate and points out the fact that none of us (well most of us) don't have the type of equipment to actually know the difference. So all we can do is ask the gun.
Just as an aside Lot 6 of LT32 on my Harrel measure weighs 28.35 (avg) vs Lot 10 @ 28.2 (avg) same setting.
Since I weigh all my charges it doesn't matter to me but to get the same velocity I had to be at the same weight.
(more volume).
JMHO
Greg

Back