painting a robertson BRX stock??

skeetlee

Just curious if anyone here has painted a robertson BRX stock? I have one coming that i think needs a paint job. These stocks have some type of clear on them so i didnt know if that all needed sanded off first? Just looking for some tips. I might also do a dip or a rap or whatever they call that stuff. What type of prep work is required for that? Has anyone of you fellas ever had a stock dipped? Can i see it please if so? thanks Lee

PS. who does this dipping or wrapping?

Just curious if anyone here has painted a robertson BRX stock? I have one coming that i think needs a paint job. These stocks have some type of clear on them so i didnt know if that all needed sanded off first? Just looking for some tips. I might also do a dip or a rap or whatever they call that stuff. What type of prep work is required for that? Has anyone of you fellas ever had a stock dipped? Can i see it please if so? thanks Lee

PS. who does this dipping or wrapping?
Lee, dipping is really no different that painting, where prep work is concerned. It's really the same process as painting with the dip film step added in. The Robertson stocks are actually much better than the more well known brands for several reasons. One being a better finish as received, making for less pin holes and less predominant seam lines. A good scuffing before priming is all that is "absolutely" necessary, but for a really slick job,(like I know you want) there'll be a few steps to getting it really slick...filling pinholes for one. Weight needs to be factored in too. Not a problem. Give me a call if you want. I can discuss it in much greater detail. A paint job can be as simple or complex as you want, with your imagination(and mine) as the limit. You can have just about anything you want from the right airbrush man, but it can become expensive. This is where the dips make sense, but don't hold a candle in comparison.

Mike
Yes I want the stock to look good. I am thinking just one single color. Green or gold but I want it to pop. If I have some free time tomorrow I will call. Thanks man. Lee

Lee,

Here are a couple of pictures of my 40x Rim Fire silhouette rifle that I had dipped. Northwest Hydroprint sprayed a metalic gold base and covered with a carbon fiber print and clear coat. The stock turned out to be one of the best looking ones I have and I will definatly use them again. I need to get this outside a take some better pictures.

Good Luck, Paul
Remington 40x Rim Fire, HS Silhouette stock, Kriger barrel, Jewell Trigger.
photo1.jpg

photo4.jpg

These stocks do not have any coatings on them. They are 100% epoxy. The prep for paint would be to scuff the surface as per the paint maker and if there are any air bubbles that appear fill them and check about primer as well. Best to prime before filling as the primer will make any holes stand out, fill them before sanding because the dust will plug them and make them hard to see.

Ian Robertson

There is a good article on painting on 6mmbr.com. I just get Ezell to do it. By the time you bought what you needed, you'd be out more than having him do it.

0cb2f39d.jpg

Fill the holes with a polyester surface filler. Use a quality one and be sure it will harden on epoxy before you buy it. Not all will harden on epoxy, an issue of the ph of the epoxy interfering with the hardening process. Get it from an automotive paint supplier.

If someone is doing a great job painting stocks at a reasonable price get them to paint your stock.
It will cost you less for a better job..........

Evercoat Polyester Glazing Putty
I have used this and was very happy with the results.

Glenn

Polyester%20Glazing%20Putty.jpg

The difference between having someone who knows what they are doing when it comes to stock painting compared to someone who doesn't, can be as much as 4 ounces different in weight or more. Back when Michael Kavanaugh was doing stock painting, I sent him some stocks to have repainted. When they came back, they were 4 ounces lighter. Sure made it easier to install barrels on them. I've never painted a stock since. It also didn't help the do it yourselfer when the paint companies discontinued acrylic laquer.

Back