Only about a month away

Pete Wass

I expect to be back home in a month and am certainly looking forward to getting back to my shop. I have omel barrles to chamber and will do more tuner work now that there seems to be some information available as how to use the dern things effectively.

I have dearly missed my shop and am considering a Smithy for the winter camp to give me something to do other than watch others do it on Youtubes. Sure hope the snow is gone in a month. Right now, it isn't looking hopeful.

Pete

Last edited:
My father-in-law had a Smithy about 40 + years ago. Having only worked with commercial machinery I didn't think much of it. As a hobbyist he was happy with it and that's what counts.

I didn't know they were still in business.

Last edited:
I expect to be back home in a month and am certainly looking forward to getting back to my shop. I have omel barrles to chamber and will do more tuner work now that there seems to be some information available as how to use the dern things effectively.

I have dearly missed my shop and am considering a Smithy for the winter camp to give me something to do other than watch others do it on Youtubes. Sure hope the snow is gone in a month. Right now, it isn't looking hopeful.

Pete
You are $hit out of luck Pete as far as the snow goes. I got 38" in the last week and a half and a chance of another Noreaster next week. You better stay down there an extra month if I were you.

Pete

our first IBS match is at Orrington on April 8, 20 days from now. If we get lots of rain the snow may be gone. However if it stays cold, it was 9F this morning, there may be snow on the field. There was 3 years ago. Those that set flag stands on top of the snowpac didn't have flags at lunch time as it softened up and many tipped over. It was starting to dry up before last Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays storm so we are going to have to relive mud season.

I went to LCRC yesterday for the 200 yd rimfire match. Time Rego and me had to use snowshoes back and forth 4 times to change targets. It was nearly impossible to walk without them. They hadn't plowed the road to the 100 yd line either. It was low twenties tops and the wind was 10-15 early and 20 mph or so for the last match...lots of wide shots!!

Last edited:
our first IBS match is at Orrington on April 8, 20 days from now. If we get lots of rain the snow may be gone. However if it stays cold, it was 9F this morning, there may be snow on the field. There was 3 years ago. Those that set flag stands on top of the snowpac didn't have flags at lunch time as it softened up and many tipped over. It was starting to dry up before last Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays storm so we are going to have to relive mud season.

I went to LCRC yesterday for the 200 yd rimfire match. Time Rego and me had to use snowshoes back and forth 4 times to change targets. It was nearly impossible to walk without them. They hadn't plowed the road to the 100 yd line either. It was low twenties tops and the wind was 10-15 early and 20 mph or so for the last match...lots of wide shots!!

Got to love that Maine schedule. We usually freeze are ass off the first 2 weeks of April, We have just about one stinkin match in June, and nothing from July 8th to August 26th. What's wrong with this picture?

Nationals

Got to love that Maine schedule. We usually freeze are ass off the first 2 weeks of April, We have just about one stinkin match in June, and nothing from July 8th to August 26th. What's wrong with this picture?

lots of mid atlantic state shoots, Vermont, Connecticut...yada yada

lots of mid atlantic state shoots, Vermont, Connecticut...yada yada

Right. Between the 8th of July we have the VT shoot, The 200-300 yard Nationals in MD and Pine Tree in NY. How many guy's from this neck of the woods are going to any of those 3? Vt will get a decent amount from Maine, NY will get maybe a half dozen and Thurmont less than that. So I still don't see the logic.

My recollection

Right. Between the 8th of July we have the VT shoot, The 200-300 yard Nationals in MD and Pine Tree in NY. How many guy's from this neck of the woods are going to any of those 3? Vt will get a decent amount from Maine, NY will get maybe a half dozen and Thurmont less than that. So I still don't see the logic.

is NY state shoot drew 8 from Maine. May have only been 7. Still that's close to 50% of our non championship Maine shoot attendance. I just don't think its wise to schedule a shoot when that many regulars may be away. Orrington is having 8 yardages this year, I added one. That's enough work. Jim said he would take over match director in 2019. He may be sympathetic to more shoots.

Last edited:
is NY state shoot drew 8 from Maine. May have only been 7. Still that's close to 50% of our non championship Maine shoot attendance.

Last year there were 6 people from ME at the NY shoot. That is about 33% of our regular shooters. There are too few shoots that we have in good weather up here. I hear guy's mentioning that every year. There are too few shooters up here that either are unwilling because they don't like to travel or they don't have the money to do it. Then we have guy's up here bitching that the guy's in the south have so many more chances to earn SSOY points because they have so many more match's than us, yada, yada, yada piss and moan, that's all I hear up here from these whiners. The southern shooters don't have more matches, in fact last year they had the least if your divide the shooting area's from Maine to SC in 3 different sections. They have more yardages than we do, and that's because they like shooting those 2 yardage in one day shoots with 7 minute matches and nobody else does, so what's everyone do who doesn't like doing that? Nothing put piss and moan. Hey, if those good ole' boys want to shoot 100 matches like that, who cares let them. I'm sick of people whining about SSOY points. Does it really matter? I mean if you win SSOY, BIG DEAL. What's it really mean. Even Cline told me, he said you know what, I thought when I won last year that I was going to feel something different by winning it. He said I don't feel any different at all. He felt that he wasn't the best shooter last year. He felt that Dewey was and I agree.

Last edited:
Jim

Last year there were 6 people from ME at the NY shoot. That is about 33% of our regular shooters. There are too few shoots that we have in good weather up here. I hear guy's mentioning that every year. There are too few shooters up here that either are unwilling because they don't like to travel or they don't have the money to do it.

is going to be match director at Orrington in 2019. He may be sympathetic to more shoots since he doesn't travel much other than to VT. You just can't please everyone all the time...one of life's early lessons for me.

is going to be match director at Orrington in 2019. He may be sympathetic to more shoots since he doesn't travel much other than to VT. You just can't please everyone all the time...one of life's early lessons for me.

You are right without a doubt about pleasing everyone.

Yep

You are right without a doubt about pleasing everyone.

April through September is about 23 weeks. We have 18 yardage events in Maine. Two of those are in one day at Orrington. Some are two yardages in two days,, the Firecracker is 3 in 3 days. That is not a sparse schedule, lumpy maybe but some like to travel. You just need to put your woolies on and hit the range early in the season.

Jim

Last year there were 6 people from ME at the NY shoot. That is about 33% of our regular shooters. There are too few shoots that we have in good weather up here. I hear guy's mentioning that every year. There are too few shooters up here that either are unwilling because they don't like to travel or they don't have the money to do it. Then we have guy's up here bitching that the guy's in the south have so many more chances to earn SSOY points because they have so many more match's than us, yada, yada, yada piss and moan, that's all I hear up here from these whiners. The southern shooters don't have more matches, in fact last year they had the least if your divide the shooting area's from Maine to SC in 3 different sections. They have more yardages than we do, and that's because they like shooting those 2 yardage in one day shoots with 7 minute matches and nobody else does, so what's everyone do who doesn't like doing that? Nothing put piss and moan. Hey, if those good ole' boys want to shoot 100 matches like that, who cares let them. I'm sick of people whining about SSOY points. Does it really matter? I mean if you win SSOY, BIG DEAL. What's it really mean. Even Cline told me, he said you know what, I thought when I won last year that I was going to feel something different by winning it. He said I don't feel any different at all. He felt that he wasn't the best shooter last year. He felt that Dewey was and I agree.

seven...me, randy, brooks, steen, parker, orland, peter..at NY state shoot.

seven...me, randy, brooks, steen, parker, orland, peter..at NY state shoot.

Your right I forgot Pete who was in the Hunter class. It doesn't really matter anyway because it's still a piss hole in the snow as far as guy's from Maine showing up at out of state matches. As far as shooting in the cold weather been there done that. Shooting when it's 23 degree's is not enjoyable. I'll stay inside where it's warm and let people like Bunk shoot because you know as well as I do, that crazy Bastrd will shoot in the middle of a blizzard.

Last edited:
He sure will!

Your right I forgot Pete who was in the Hunter class. It doesn't really matter anyway because it's still a piss hole in the snow as far as guy's from Maine showing up at out of state matches. As far as shooting in the cold weather been there done that. Shooting when it's 23 degree's is not enjoyable. I'll stay inside where it's warm and let people like Bunk shoot because you know as well as I do, that crazy Bastrd will shoot in the middle of a blizzard.

some of it is cabin fever. Folks have been cooped up all winter long and just want to get out and "bust a few caps"...so to speak.

I was at LCRC Saturday for the March Madness traditional 200 yard .22 rimfire match. Six of us persevered. They hadn't plowed down to the 100 yard butts. Fortunately I had thrown my snowshoes in the truck, so did Tim Rego. We made 4 round trips to the 200 yard line and believe me, the ONLY thing that made it possible were the shoes. Without them, it was impossible. Then we had 10-15 mph wind for first two matches then upwards of 20 mph gusts for the third. Lots of wide shots in that match. Had a great time, good fish chowda and rolls afterward...no couch potatoes need apply! :)

some of it is cabin fever. Folks have been cooped up all winter long and just want to get out and "bust a few caps"...so to speak.

I was at LCRC Saturday for the March Madness traditional 200 yard .22 rimfire match. Six of us persevered. They hadn't plowed down to the 100 yard butts. Fortunately I had thrown my snowshoes in the truck, so did Tim Rego. We made 4 round trips to the 200 yard line and believe me, the ONLY thing that made it possible were the shoes. Without them, it was impossible. Then we had 10-15 mph wind for first two matches then upwards of 20 mph gusts for the third. Lots of wide shots in that match. Had a great time, good fish chowda and rolls afterward...no couch potatoes need apply! :)
Yup 6 people who ought to go see the man that makes you lie on a couch. I'm not that dumb to go shoot in that icebox at Damariscotta. When it's stupid cold outside, I'm proud to be a damn couch potato.

Last edited:
Ur

Yup 6 people who ought to go see the man that makes you lie on a couch. I'm not that dumb to go shoot in that icebox at Damariscotta. When it's stupid cold outside, I'm proud to be a damn couch potato.

the first one I've ever met honest enough to admit it!!

Back