Old Hornet - What bullet?

Harold M

Recently I acquired a vintage .22 Hornet with a barrel taken from a Winchester model 52 (standard barrel). I've been trying various "Hornet" bullets, both .223 and .224 without much success. Does anyone have a favorite bullet for centerfires built with salvaged .22 rimfire barrels?

Soft jacketed bullets - Hornady V-max was what worked for the 22 Cricket. The harder jacketed Remington bullets resulted in blown primers.

Don't know for sure what the twist rate is for a Mod 52 but most of the 22 rimfires from yesteryear had quite slow twist barrels. 1 in 16 to 1 in 20. Designed for light bullets, 30 to 40 grain lead at slow velocity well below Hornet velocity. Also the 22 rimfire bullet is smaller than 224. It's .222 in diameter, I believe, which is what the barrels will be. Try some light weight bullets. I had a 218 Bee awhile back which had been made up from a small martini action with a Remington or Winchester 22 rimfire bbl. Would spray anything over 45 grs. all over the place. Stay with 45 or 40 gr 223 bullets and see what happens. Work up the load carefully.

So far, best results have been with 40 and 45 gr Sierra SP "Hornet" bullets. I don't see much difference between .223 and .224 bullets. The 35 V-Max didn't do well in this rifle. The Bergers weighing 40 and less are somewhat longer than these Sierras, so I don't expect them to be adequately stabilized. Suggestions are appreciated.

Harold

I dont have a Hornet with a 22rf barrel, but I've had probably 8-9 different hornets over the years and still shoot an old Win 43 and a re-barreled Ruger.
I've tried almost every bullet available over the years and always come back to the old Winchester 46gr HP again.
It's not the fastest thing out there, but it always seems to be the bullet that shoots best in any Hornet I've owned.
Rem brass 12.6gr of lil gun and a rem 6 1/2 primer is my 'go-to' loading.
Cheers, YV

My 1730 Annie also has the 1 in 16 twist and is a bit finicky about bullet selection, so far best results with lighter bullets have come with the 30 grain Barnes Varmint Grenade and the 35 grain VMax. Berger 36 grains will keyhole for me. Lil Gun is my go to podwer also.

The Hornet can be just plain cranky about what it likes and doesn't like. Most older rifles like either a 40 or a 45 gr roundish-nosed bullet, and old cartridges will be loaded with one. This should tell you something. I have experimented with all sorts of bullets in my several Hornets and have come to rely on a 42 gr. 6 ogive lead tip bullet of my own manufacture. I think the trick is to get a bullet that is not too long and has a good amount of driving surface and less nose. I don't have dies for a round nose bullet or I'd be experimenting with them too. Hornady used to sell a Hornet bullet. You might check and see if they're still available; I think you'd have good results with them.

The Hornet can be just plain cranky about what it likes and doesn't like. Most older rifles like either a 40 or a 45 gr roundish-nosed bullet, and old cartridges will be loaded with one. This should tell you something. I have experimented with all sorts of bullets in my several Hornets and have come to rely on a 42 gr. 6 ogive lead tip bullet of my own manufacture. I think the trick is to get a bullet that is not too long and has a good amount of driving surface and less nose. I don't have dies for a round nose bullet or I'd be experimenting with them too. Hornady used to sell a Hornet bullet. You might check and see if they're still available; I think you'd have good results with them.

I have a large supply of 45 grain 0.223 Hornady bullets. If you're interested send me a private message.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back