Okay, PLEASE school me on it is TOO FAST when it comes to powder

CYanchycki

Club Coordinator
Okay I have never asked this question or ever really understood it.

Lets use the NEW LT-32 versus say the LT-30 when it is out in peoples hands.

I am referring to Lou M mentioning he has shot it in the PPC. There was a comment "is it not a tad fast" How do you determine that?

I never use a chrono at all because as far as I know you let the targets tell you when the thing is in tune. Who cares about velocity??????

What is the determining factor? I just don't get it????????

Puzzled Canuck........

Calvin

I don't think it's wise to say one powder is faster than another, although that is how it is described all the time. There are characteristics that play into things that defy a "burn rate". Example, many burn charts list H4198 right next to N133. If you load a 6PPC with as much H4198 as people do with 133, you won't be happy. But you can't get enough 133 in a 30BR to get the same velocity as with H4198. Given a certain case/caliber, things act differently. YMMV

Yes to velocity

In the 30br there are several load nodes using H4198. LT30 is said to provide an additional velocity increase over H4198 without additional pressure issues. For score shooting, when given several loads and for arguments sake equal grouping capabilities, I want the fastest possible. At 200 or 300 yards, 200 f/s can mean the difference between the 10 ring and the 9 ring. Randy J.

In the 30br there are several load nodes using H4198. LT30 is said to provide an additional velocity increase over H4198 without additional pressure issues. For score shooting, when given several loads and for arguments sake equal grouping capabilities, I want the fastest possible. At 200 or 300 yards, 200 f/s can mean the difference between the 10 ring and the 9 ring. Randy J.

I will not trade agging capability for speed any day. I can shoot my 30BR at 3100 fps with the current lot of 4198 with no extraction, primer, or any other signs of pressure. But, it is locked into about a .250 capability there. Taking it down to just under 3050 really tightens the groups up.

In score shooting, agging capability, (IMHO), trumps everything just as it does in group shooting.

Last edited:
I will not trade agging capability for speed any day. I can shoot my 30BR at 3100 fps with the current lot of 4198 with no extraction, primer, or any other signs of pressure. But, it is locked into about a .250 capability there. Taking it down to just under 3050 really tightens the groups up.

As in group shooting, agging capability, (IMHO), trumps everything just as it does in group shooting.

Amen to THAT! :eek:RG

Jackie, I don't disagree but I was not thinking in terms of 50 f/s. For argument's sake, if you had two loads that grouped the same (as I mentioned in my post) and there was 200+ f/s difference in speed, which would you use?? Randy J.

Jackie, I don't disagree but I was not thinking in terms of 50 f/s. For argument's sake, if you had two loads that grouped the same (as I mentioned in my post) and there was 200+ f/s difference in speed, which would you use?? Randy J.

The faster.

But I have never bought into that whole "tuning node" thing when it comes to Benchrest Accuracy. I think every combination has a ideal burn and pressure cycle for that powder/bullet combination. That is where the extreme accuracy is.

Find that, and do the rest with the barrel tuner.

Last edited:
Back