OK.... so REAR SPACERS??

alinwa

oft dis'd member
Can I stuff a metal plate(s) under my Dunrud/Sinclair/Otto/Dohrmann/Edgewood/ProtekTor model bag stabilizer at rear bag to set a height?

Aluminum spacers

I have seen a rear bag used attached to to flat piece of aluminum with no mechanical adjustment. If you attach the bag to any thing then there is a thickness rule at the bottom of the bag. The bottom of the bag itself has to be no more that 1 inch thick. Years ago I questioned a Regional director about gluing a spacer to the bottom of the bag. The answer I got was it had to be sewn, not glued. My question back was how does would one over the other make a difference. By the way if the top of the bench is slick you might have a problem there.

I have seen shooters that have made spacers out of aluminum for the bag to sit in or on with the rubber stick on bumpers on the bottom.

John

I'm assuming we are talking about short range bench rest... in rule 2.11.2 it states that "No metallic materials may be used in the construction of the sandbag.
Tape on sandbag is legal."

I would interpret this to say that you can't "attach" a piece of aluminum (or other metallic material) by gluing it to the bag as it would then be part of the bag construction. But you could set the bag on a piece of aluminum and be in compliance. I guess you could glue on a plastic plate with a leather or rubber bottom to keep it from sliding around?

I'm assuming we are talking about short range bench rest... in rule 2.11.2 it states that "No metallic materials may be used in the construction of the sandbag.
Tape on sandbag is legal."

I would interpret this to say that you can't "attach" a piece of aluminum (or other metallic material) by gluing it to the bag as it would then be part of the bag construction. But you could set the bag on a piece of aluminum and be in compliance. I guess you could glue on a plastic plate with a leather or rubber bottom to keep it from sliding around?

That's how I read it. A flat piece of metal should be legal as a spacer.

The no metal as part of the bag was, (I think), in response to shooters filling the bags full of lead shot instead of sand.

I know I can't attach them to the bag but I can't see any reason not to stack steel plates UNDER the bags.

But I've been wrong before!

Now..... can I mill out a recess to set the bag IN??? Or, to set the Dunrud/Otto/TruKote thingy into?

I know I can't attach them to the bag but I can't see any reason not to stack steel plates UNDER the bags.

But I've been wrong before!

Now..... can I mill out a recess to set the bag IN??? Or, to set the Dunrud/Otto/TruKote thingy into?

Under IBS SCORE rules, the spacer can be made of whatever material you want, but it cannot be milled out to contain or entrap the rear bag.

So I just ordered up 40lb of steel stackable plates, I'll pick them up tomorrow..... I hoped to glue a rubber ring to the top and bottom of each of them, kinda' like a rubber and steel Skip's shim.....

I _think_ this rule means I have to leave the rubber off the top one?

So I just ordered up 40lb of steel stackable plates, I'll pick them up tomorrow..... I hoped to glue a rubber ring to the top and bottom of each of them, kinda' like a rubber and steel Skip's shim.....

I _think_ this rule means I have to leave the rubber off the top one?

Yes or cover the whole top plate with the rubber you plan on using.

That is why they made the flat piece of leather with the tube around the edges with the sand in it so when the leather on the bottom of the bag wasn't flat the loop would hold it still???? I used a friends and it worked well I just can't remember what he called it. He had a rear bag that had a steel plate glued onto the bottom of it and told me he could use it to beat me on the weekends but it was not legal at a match. Or am I off in left field some where?

Al, I wish you the best on your spacer or spacers. Like some one else said before, nothing will be said about your spacer until you start kicking some butt. Seb makes a nice front rest. Some have 3 bags not one. The rule book says a BAG not BAGS. IMHO the rest is not legal with the 3 bag set up in the NBRSA. I have never seen or heard of any one being disqualified for using that front rest in the NBRSA short range matches.

John

Al, I wish you the best on your spacer or spacers. Like some one else said before, nothing will be said about your spacer until you start kicking some butt.

John

I realize that.... I DID go out and win 'wayyy too early in some folks' opinion, with unconventional equipment. And I DID get chastised.

I cain't read wind at 600yds fer spit but you give me a trigger pulling contest and I WILL be in there.....

Unless I do something stupid.

Al, I wish you the best on your spacer or spacers. Like some one else said before, nothing will be said about your spacer until you start kicking some butt. Seb makes a nice front rest. Some have 3 bags not one. The rule book says a BAG not BAGS. IMHO the rest is not legal with the 3 bag set up in the NBRSA. I have never seen or heard of any one being disqualified for using that front rest in the NBRSA short range matches.

John

something like this.
http://www.randolphmachine.com/atop.html

Attachments

• mkII2.jpg
    mkII2.jpg
    724.9 KB · Views: 193
Tim I don,t think the Randolph rest top with three bags is legal. But when is the last time you have seen a top checked at a match for bags or bag.

John

Last edited:
Just read the rules and make a judgment for yourself. That is not foolproof though, particularly if you're pushing a rule, but in the end, you'll know as well as everybody else. It's just $500 or so depending on how far you drove...peanuts!!

For reference, the entire NBRSA rear sandbag rule:

2.11.2.The rear sandbag. The rear sandbag shall be a bag or combination of bags containing sand only. A vertical spacer under the rear bag will be allowed as long as it incorporates no adjustments for windage or elevation. The vertical spacer shall not contain any protrusions which can be inserted into the bench top or the sandbag. The Dunrud type rear ring spacer for use under the rear bag is legal. The rear bag shall not be contained in any manner. No metallic materials may be used in the construction of the sandbag. Tape on sandbag is legal.

IMO the Dunrud spacer's approval did not change the rule about containing the rear bag, it was an exception for a specific piece of equipment by a specific manufacturer. The Otto ring and similar products get buy because they meet the rules for a sand bag, and multiple bags are allowed. IMO a ring of any construction, attached to a metal plate that would limit the movement of the bag would in effect contain it. On the other hand if it (or they) were between spacers or under a legal intermediate piece that contacted the bag, or contacting the bench, as long as it did not protrude into it, that would not be a problem.

Having observed that Dunrud spacers introduce bounce, and that the Otto ring and Edgewood Dead Bottom do not, I can think of no reason to use the Dunrud. I traded mine off.

Hint: Supporting sandbags shapes or number of chambers are not specified, only the limits of what they may contain and be made of. Better hint: There is no rule about spacers being attached to each other. IMO they could bolt together, or interlock. as long as the contact with the bench and top sandbag is correct.

Last edited:
Tim I don,t think the Randolph rest top with three bags is legal. But when is the last time you have seen a top checked at a match for bags or bag.

John

At our local club 5 guys are using the Randolph. And I can't remember hearing a complaint. The bottom is great. Comes in different colors. And they keep them in stock. They also have a top similar to Farely's....

Attachments

• fr1.jpg
    fr1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 137
  • mkI1.jpg
    mkI1.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 113
Back