Off eye block

27-T

Gentlemen - Some time back, there was a company that offered an "off eye blocker" that clamped to the rear of your scope to aid cross eye dominence. Does anyone know if such an item is still available and where it can be purchased? It was nice because it allowed a person to keep both eyes open and reduced eye strain. I have a 30mm scope and corresponding eye-piece. Any information you can post here will be appreciated. If you prefer to use e-mail, you can e-mail me at jpmlholian@aol.com.

Thanks for your help,

27-T

and the

You can Opague out 1 side of your shooing glasses,or eye patch. It'll do the same thing.

type of blocker you are describing can be done w/ black construction paper and electrical tape.

I know of a very good shooter who put a piece of Magic Transparent tape (frosted finish) over the optical "center" of his off eye to do the same thing.

i use two different methods.
i blacked out the lens on one pair of glasses,
and i sometimes use a simple eye patch from walmart.

Plastic from a square milk bottle is good - cuts vision but not light so you don't have your eyes fighting about iris size.

Don't use black .You want light coming in the blocked eye .I'm sure Creedmoor Sports has more than one option.

If you are talking about benchrest shooting, you don't want to block your off eye. You want to watch the flags with that eye. One eye watches the crosshairs and target, the other the flags. It doesn't matter which eye is dominant, it works. (I am left eye dominant, and shoot benchrest right handed.)

lol...
my left eye is my dominant eye and has near zero acuity.
if i leave it uncovered it confuses my right eye.
there seldom are "one size" fits all answers.

If you are talking about benchrest shooting, you don't want to block your off eye. You want to watch the flags with that eye. One eye watches the crosshairs and target, the other the flags. It doesn't matter which eye is dominant, it works. (I am left eye dominant, and shoot benchrest right handed.)

And under those

lol...
circumstances, blocking the left eye is your only option. That way your right eye can take over. You will have to look around your scope (come off the gun) to see your front flag, or you can use a mirror setup like Dennis Tinkum for your front flags that are not in the scope. With the mirrors, you would just have to glance sideways to see you close flags and not have to come off the gun. Either way works

lol...

I felt the same when I started shooting benchrest. I used to close my left eye. It takes practice to use both. An intermediate step is to focus your brain on one image, then the other. Still trying to see both images at the same time, like two windows on the computer screen. Sometimes it works.

If you only have one good eye, well that's a nuther thing altogether.:)

ohh i forgot to mention i cannot wink my left /dominant eye.
a great challenge after 60 years of shooting left handed/left eye dom..even tho i am right handed.

I felt the same when I started shooting benchrest. I used to close my left eye. It takes practice to use both. An intermediate step is to focus your brain on one image, then the other. Still trying to see both images at the same time, like two windows on the computer screen. Sometimes it works.

If you only have one good eye, well that's a nuther thing altogether.:)

that may be because they have a WORKING eye..
mine is pretty poor, but as i have said because it is my dominant eye,
even tho it does not see well, it tries to confuse my right eye..

Plenty of people get headaches from black blocking the eye.
We just make it translucent instead of black.

If your scope has a locking ring for the focus knob...

You might want to try inserting a properly cut plastic shield like you can find with rimfire peep sight shooters.
http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=ItemDetailOptions&item=781
As shown above, the shield should be translucent to aid in equal light intensity being distributed to both eyes. It should fit snugly between the locking ring and the focusing knob.
I agree with keeping both eyes open.

Phil Fortin aka tazzman

You can always switch to mono-vision.

It is relatively common with contact lenses.

My right eye is fully corrected for distance.
My left eye is corrected for close up work.

It takes some time (and a few headaches) to get used to it.

I now switch automatically between them without any real thought.

Think of how binoculars work.
Only one eye piece typically has any fine adjustment.
You use the main focus to get one eye sharp.
Then use the eyepiece to sharpen the other to match.

Now both eyes are corrected when you use the main focus.

Back