Nosler Brass

J

jdjframes

Some say it is junk,some say it is gold.

Where is the truth to be found? Is it too soft - one shot and toss or decent brass?

I know the box of 221 FB brass I have is pretty uniform as far as weight is concerned.

Any actual experiences, not just rehash of what "I heard" at wherever?

Thanks.

Jim

am not a brass expert, but am on 3 and 4th loadings in .257wby nosler brass. and I like book-max loads. fwiw.

Bad Nosler Brass...

I few years ago I built a customer a 300 Win Mag. I bought some Noster custom brass paying a premium price. When I got home I checked it and the necks varried in thickness on almast every case. I called Nosler and they said they knew they had a problem and to return it to where I bought it, "MidwayUSA". I called MidwayUSA and they said it was a manufactures problem and send it back to Nosler. I bought it using a credit card and called the credit card company since neither the seller or the manufacture wanted to accept responsability. The credit card company credited my account and I was eventually told by MidwayUSA to throw the brass away. I have never bought any Nosler brass since nor will I buy any in the future. I try to use Lapua brass where I can, Then Winchester, Federal, Hornady, Norma or Remington. Nosler bullets use to be my go to bullets but Swift, Barnes, Berger, Sierra and Custom bullets have about taken them out of the market for me.
Nat Lambeth

I had some Nosler .223 Remington brass that I used for 600 yard single shot cartridges and after the second load, while preparing for the third load, they seemed be coming out of the corn media with blemishes all over the brass on some cartridges, I ended up tossing about 12 out of 100 on that load and then treated them like "range strangers" after that.

Having used only one batch of 100 Nosler .308 cases, I can say it worked at least as well as Remington or Winchester brass. That includes longevity.

Both good and bad

I have purchased nosler brass as well as the brass labled custom. Can't say I saw much difference between the two. They both exhibited variations in neck wall thickness more than what you would normally expect. Some was soft which streched and needed trimming more than usual and some just began to fail after 5 or 6 reloads. Then there was the batches that we have been using for ages with no problems. It seems consistency is the issue. The calibres in question were .243 and .25/06
Andy

I recently tested some brass for the 338 Edge, 300 Rum brass.

I tryed RP old & new, FC, Norma, Nosler & Bertram.

With this case the Norma & Nosler was exactly the same brass, same weight, water capacitiy, neck thickness, sectioned head/web size. etc

It gave good speed for powder weight, but showed pressure, the RP need more powder to get the same speed but showed less pressure while doing so.

Kiwi Greg of the brands you listed which has lasted the best? Ive only used R-P in my RUMs, The 7mm has had a few issues with a bad firing pin length and over pressure, Some of that brass has loose primer pockets and I would like to buy more but don't know which one to try next. Your opinion would be helpful.

Oh great - I just purchased some Nosler Custom 280 Rem brass to fireform in a 280 AI chamber. I've weighed a few cases as just a quick check on consistency, and it came out with very little variation. I'll run some of it over the neck thickness variation gauge and see how it looks there. I was looking for some good quality brass to supplement the RWS 280 I bought last year - at least it sounds like there's a chance the Nosler stuff may be better than R-P. Would be nice if WW made 280 that wasn't nickel-plated.

Back