Norwood, NC Barn

DJB in Wi

I have shot the Barn 2 times (rookie) now in 3 years, and could not help but notice that the flagging tape hanging from the rafters is getting fewer and older. Some of the benches have very little or no flag tape left to watch. Other tape is curling up and are of no help. I know some shooters feel that they do not help a lot, and some times they are not, because they do not move at all.
I feel that at times they can and do help, and would like to see fresh flagging tape out there to use while shooting. I know for a fact that while shooting my 2500 I was watching some ribbon down range, and feel that if I did not watch them, I would not have shoot the 2500. I did some testing while on bench 12, and they made the difference............Could we get some new ribbons put up before the next PSL match at the Barn? Maybe we could get a crew together to do this. OR.................................
If not, could a shooter put some up on the benches he draws for the weekend? Just wondering:confused: Doug

Doug ,we have the Rocky River Barn scheduled for ARA matches in Jan,Feb ,&Mar. 3rd Saturday each month! If you need to practice for PSL this will be the place ! i`ll post exact dates ASAP! Two 5 card matches each Jan & Feb and a big Tournament weekend in March ! Jeff Braun is the owner and his # will be704-984-3726,Craig young will be the MD

Doug: I keep a roll of surveyors tape in my cleaning box and we always have access to staplers. Next time you and I are at The Barn I'll ask Jeff for permission to use one of his ladders. You and I can spend an evening putting up all the tape you think it needs, assuming Jeff says okay.

Jeff and his crew have worked tirelessly to make The Barn a superb place to shoot. I drove down a day early with intent of helping get the place ready for the masses, only to discover poor Craig had spent several days doing just that. When I got there the place was as clean and neat as I've ever seen it. I suspect it was not so when the last guy left. We don't always take the time to help, nor I suspect enough of us say thanks to those that do. bob

Slick Willy.......Thanks for the info. I would love to get in more practice at the Barn, but I am about 11 hours away. It is just too far to come up for a monthly shoot. Thanks for the invite, and hope to see you up there for the PSL. Doug

Doug ,I hope you can find away to get there,we don`t want anyone to have an unfair advantage for that first PSL!;):D 13 total cards Jan &Feb and 18 in March

Last edited:
Hi Bob.......I would be more then happy to help you put up some new surveyors tape. We come up for the big matches on Thursdays, and we could do it then. I need all the help I can get.;) Hope to come up for the PSL. Doug

Hi Slick......I need all the practice I can get. You guys are a very tough bunch to compete against. Due to lack of Barn practice, I will bring up my lucky rabbits foot. That should even up the odd's some.:p;) Doug

Something that works even better then surveyors tape is Walmart's large plastic bags cut into 2" strips and as long as possible. I played with them a lot this past summer and when there is little to no wind movement, you would be very surprised at how little it takes for them to react. The next time I come to the Barn I will try them out.......Fred, the cobwebs can be a little hard to see down range, but I did notice some, and they showed air movement. The Wally bags are the next best thing to cobwebs. Doug

I have never shot at the barn, but maybe one day.... I have found the Dollar General bags which are yellow cut into small strips are easy to see. I use them on my flags during the summer evening shoots when the wind is not that strong ,but switchy . Ballard Shooter

Those flimsy produce bags work pretty good as well. Problem with those type bags, is cutting a straight line to get uniform strips.

Fred...I use a paper trimmer. I had the same problem till I started to use the paper trimmer (cutter). Measures out your cut, and does a super nice job cutting. The only time I use these tails is in light to no winds. I think the barn would be a great place to use them. Doug

Back