Norma 6PPC brass

Fired 10 pcs of the NOrma 6ppc

Shot two 5 round groups of the Norma 6ppc brass yesterday at 100yds. I had trimmed the OAL back by .007. Ended up with an OAL of 1.5. The case diameter at .200 from the bolt face was .4388. My reamer specs .4398 at that point. The headspace measured one to two thou long from my many times fired Lapua brass. Hopefully these minor differences will iron after after a few more firings. The group sizes were encouraging. I wasn't paying attention to the wind and the shoulders were being blown out .007 so I didn't think they looked too bad. Subsequent firings will show how this brass works for me.

DSCN0662.JPG

Starting Load of LT32 for Just-Turned Norma Brass

So I have turned the necks on 141 new Norma 6 PPC brass for my .263 chamber. I want to shoot them with 64.2 Berger Columns and LT32 powder. I want advice on a starting load. I'm thinking between 27.0 and 27.5 grains. The shoulders are .010 shy of my fired Lapua brass. Should I seat the bullets into the lands to help blow the shoulders out? I thought I would use Federal 205M primers. I thought of using Rem 6 1/2 so the primer strike would be less apt to move the case forward, but most folks advise that those are too thin for the 6 PPC. I realize that I could form a false shoulder but that seems like a lot of trouble. What do you all think?

Marmont,

What I have done when preping Norma brass for my .262" neck chambers, is turn the necks short of the neck shoulder junction and use that "bump" to headspace on. Yes, I know there will be a doughnut inside the neck at that point, but I shoot a .070" freebore length and mostly .750" and .790" jacketed bullets, so I'm not seated anywhere near the doughnut. Doing it this way, I can really feel the bolt close on a case for the first firing.

Might work with your .263 neck.

FWIW
Steve Kostanich

Still have questions

Thanks. That might have worked for me but I have already turned the necks back to the shoulder.

I am still interested in hearing what sort of loads of LT32 people are using in Norma brass in the 6 PPC, if anyone is doing that.

I'm also interested in opinions on the Rem 6 1/2 primers in the 6 PPC. Supposedly they have thinner cups than the 7 1/2, 205M, BR4 etc. Some say that the 205M cup is softer.

Will seating into the lands help push the shoulder out on first firing? I'm running about 2 thousandths neck tension.

Norma 6PPC brass.......

I think you'll find reliable information on loads at "ACCURATEPOWDER.COM". Norma brass is used in their specs for 6PPC loads. Their starting load with LT-32 is about 25.0gns with either a 65gn or 68gn bullet to about 28.0gn max. NOTE:the bullet designations are not typical benchrest. Some shooters are using more(much more) LT-32 than what is shown......proceed with caution if you make the same decision. I would steer away from "thin skin" primers. I personally use F205's and Lapua brass.

Last edited:
Thanks. That might have worked for me but I have already turned the necks back to the shoulder.I am still interested in hearing what sort of loads of LT32 people are using in Norma brass in the 6 PPC, if anyone is doing that. I'm also interested in opinions on the Rem 6 1/2 primers in the 6 PPC. Supposedly they have thinner cups than the 7 1/2, 205M, BR4 etc. Some say that the 205M cup is softer.Will seating into the lands help push the shoulder out on first firing? I'm running about 2 thousandths neck tension.
I'm using 27.8 LT32 with Barts 68 gr bullet. I'm using a .268 neck and trimming .010 off the length to start.

Last edited:
Back