Newbie scope question

aaatkr

I was out at the range yesterday and had a problem with the view in my scope(Bushnell 4200 6X24X50). If I moved my eye just a hair, and I mean just a hair, I lost my target. The view was either completely dark, a small circle or an uncentered circle. I believe the eye relief is okay. I shoot with bi-focals. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I like the 6x24 Mil-Dot 4200 SF scope so much, that after the first one, I bought 2 more!

BUT, with that said, I have heard this complaint before (including with my newbie teenage son) and must confess that some folks find that the eye relief is definitely more critical with this scope then it is with other scopes. It is very seldom an occurence with me. If anything, I find this problem even more critical with my 8x-32x Burris Black Diamond.

Perhaps you should try to mount the scope on the rifle so that your face and your cheek weld is comfortable, and the distance from the eye-piece to your eye occures natural and is almost always the same ergonomically when you draw the rifle to you.

At 24X the exit pupil (the diameter of the circle of light exiting the eyepiece) is just a tad over 2 mm or ~0.079". If your eye isn't exactly lined up with the center of the scope all you'll see is black.

After using the scope for awhile you'll likely find where you have to place your head to get things lined up. If not do as VaniB says and adjust the fore and after position of the scope or do whatever else is needed to line your eye up with the scope's centerline better. Raising or lowering the comb of the stock might be needed too.

Back