Newbie scope mounting questions

aaatkr

When mounting and bore sighting a new scope, do you set the elevation knob in the middle of its range or dial it all the way down to give you maximum elevation when needed? The guy that mounted and bore sighted my scope had me off seven inches high and right at 100 yards. I wonder if he did it properly. Thanks.

Bore sighting is not accurate. It is only intended to get you on paper... sometimes after actually shooting it, the bases may require shimming for elevation corrections if the scope adjustments won't do it.

Bore Sighting (Old Way)

Mount scope. level cross hairs, focus (if required) and adjust for eye relief. Leave elevation and windage knobs where ever they are. Set rifle in a rest or on bags. Remove bolt and sight down bore at an object about 100 yards away. Make sure object is in center of bore. Adjust windage and elevation to make scope center on object. Check between bore and scope several times to make sure they are both looking at the same spot. This will get you on paper. If the scope does not have enough adjustment, get Burris Signature Z rings. The ones with the plastic inserts.

Jeffrey Tooker

Most, if not all, scope manufacturers[atleast the better ones] have the crosshairs centered as shipped.

got one for ya...

In 1998, my dear friend and the best smith I have ever known (sorry guys), was building me a 6mm to use at Camp Perry. His name is Curt Briggs (Briggs Custom). We were topping it off with a Nightforce 12x42 BR and started talking about how nice it would be to keep the scope at the "dead middle" of the adjustment range and still be sighted in for 1000 yards. Over the next two days I would shoot and he will mill and he finally figured out the math and not only put me on paper but in the 10 ring at a grand with no scope adjustment.

I don't know about you guys but it was the damnest thing I have ever seen in a shop! I still to this day can't mount a new scope without remembering that experience!

Back