Newbie - Questions

P

Phil3

Hi, brand new to this forum and benchrest shooting in general.

I have always wanted to target shoot long range, but here in the San Francisco bay area, the longest range is 200 yards. I have been shooting rimfire for a while, but now want a moderately priced centerfire rig for which will be used in a non-competition environment (might change my mind, if I really like this). I rather like the Savage Long Range Precision Varminter (LRPV). Not sure about caliber. Choices are .223, 22-250, 204 Ruger, or 6 Norma BR. Cheaper ammo would be nice, so considering .223 for 200 yard shooting. If longer distance ranges were available, I might change the gun and caliber.

For the above kind of use, what scope features should I be looking for? Recommended scopes? I would consider $500 for a scope, or more, if a benefit for my use.

Lastly, how can I best learn better techniques to shoot better?!

Thank you.

- Phil

Caliber choice

Hi Phil3,

I would recommend that you google each caliber that you are interested in. I would also suggest you go to 6mmBR.com and read the articles provided there. .223 is inexpensive and barrel life is longer than the other high velocity calibers (204 Ruger, 22-250), 6 mm BR norma is extremely accurate but pricier to purchase. If all you shoot is up to 500 yards(in a visit to another range), .223 is probably the best choice for your money.

Hi, brand new to this forum and benchrest shooting in general.

I have always wanted to target shoot long range, but here in the San Francisco bay area, the longest range is 200 yards. I have been shooting rimfire for a while, but now want a moderately priced centerfire rig for which will be used in a non-competition environment (might change my mind, if I really like this). I rather like the Savage Long Range Precision Varminter (LRPV). Not sure about caliber. Choices are .223, 22-250, 204 Ruger, or 6 Norma BR. Cheaper ammo would be nice, so considering .223 for 200 yard shooting. If longer distance ranges were available, I might change the gun and caliber.

For the above kind of use, what scope features should I be looking for? Recommended scopes? I would consider $500 for a scope, or more, if a benefit for my use.

Lastly, how can I best learn better techniques to shoot better?!

Thank you.

- Phil

Hello, Phil, if memory serves me correctly (I grew up in Rancho Cordova), you're a mere 100 miles or so from Folsom - loctaed just East of Sacramento - the club at Folsom has ranges, and regularly scheduled events, out to 1,000Yd. If you hit the 1000 Yd. forum [on this site] and express an interest, I'm betting that you'll get plenty of info from the locals. Good shootin'! RG

phil I've got that gun in 223(Savage PLRV) cheap to shoot/reload for and very accurate,,,,,,,,,,,, shoot club matchs in Factory Varmit with it,,,,,,,,,,,the 223 or 6mmBR will both be easy platforms to learn to shoot BR and learn basic reloading for accuracy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,my thought is the 204 is a little fininky and the 22-250 makes too much heat for BR style shooting,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the 223 is less forgiving in the wind than the 6br,,,,,,,,,,,, scope to start?? try the weaver T24 or T36,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, save the $ on a scope to buy wind flags that will help your game more than any other single piece of equipment ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,also find a good mentor,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,for shooting and loading,,,,,,,,I've got load data for 223 if you go that route,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

Thanks to all who responded so promptly.

I read the info on www.6mmbr.com, and very useful. Yes, there is a 1000 yard range 100 miles out or so past Sacramento. Shooting anything like that requires more than the 223, but 6mm R is expensive to shoot. Thinking I might learn the ropes with the 223, see if I like it, and if want to move up, change up to the 6mm BR. Reloading equipment does not seem that pricey, and welcome the opportunity to learn this. I appreciate the offer on 223 loads, and will take you up on that, when I have the equipment. How far out is the Weaver scope good for? What kind of accuracy can one expect with the Savage LRPV (if a good one) using custom 223 loads?

Thanks,

- Phil

phil, try e bay for reloading equipment,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,we shot 400 yards wed,I used my weaver on a 30br,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,my PLRV is right off the shelf, just a trigger job and well massaged hand loads, shoots .150 -.200 @ 100,,,,,,,,,,

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

Watch the group statements

DD I dont really doubt ya on your savage, I have seen some real good ones at local shoots. But if alinwa and varmint guy see your statement about group size WATCH OUT we will have another 150 posts on customs with 36X scopes as being the only ones to shoot like that. :eek:

Phil what DD said about ebay is correct on reloading equipment, it is a great hobby, and can save alot of money over factory rounds. Not to mention that you can tune the loads to the rifle. Also check out midwayusa, and mid-south shooters supply. At times they have good deals on RCBS kits that give ya everything you will need except dies to get started, and it wont kill the pocket book.

Enjoy the new rifle and hobby. Good luck

DR

For what you are contemplating, reloading should be a given, and that should put the price of a 6BR within your budget. If you are really serious about long range, a fast twist barrel would be the way to go. On the other hand, if more standard ranges, (1-200) and varmint shooting are your goal, a 12 or 14" twist and shorter throat will work better for the lighter bullets. If you need any help with reloading, either deciding on equipment, or procedure, email me, and I will be happy to help. As to a scope, I think that a 6-24X variable such as the Bushnell 4200 should give you a start. If you look on The Optic Zone (Google it) you will find a good price. For mounting the scope, Weaver bases, and Burris Signature Zee rings, should do the trick.

Thanks again for the helpful replies. I spoke to the nearest range over 200 yards (Sacramento Valley Shooting Center). They are most helpful and pointed me to various club people in benchrest I can talk to.

Does it make sense to use 6mmBR and have something that works well for 100 and 200 yards, but also at 600? I don't think I would actually go after 1000 yards, but never know. When would it make sense to use 6mmBR over a 223, or does a 223 ever hold any advantage over the 6mmBR in accuracy?

The reloading equipment investment is fine, so that would make the 6mmBR ammo cost more palatable. I was looking at Forster. Appears high quality. ???

Next stop...visit to the Sacramento range.

- Phil

6 br

Go with the 6mm BR.
I had R.W. Hart put a 6br barrel on my varmint rifle last year. I went from the 22-250 to the 6mmbr. What a huge change.
The barrel I purchased is a 1:8 twist. This thing is incredible.
I shoot a lot of ground squirrels and not too many targets since load development.
Everytime I go to range to check zero or try out some new bullets I am always surprised. The groups are amazing it shoots minute of squirrel out to 400 yards with no trouble. Every load I have tried shoots better than any other rifle I have shot.
When I started I was shooting a 75 gr. vmax over 30 gr. of Varget and was amazed. You could cover 5 shots with a quarter at 100 yards. I did some development and get the same or better at 200 yards now.
Mine is not anything out of the ordinary from what I have read.
Good luck with your choice.

Thanks for your perspective on the 6mm BR.

One other thing. What are the best ways to purchase a rifle at the lowest price. Previously, the few weapons I bought were not expensive, and I just bought from a nearby dealer. I am not sure what kind of discounts are available, and from whom. All other equipment is available for the most part from various sources, but the firearm itself is something else.

Thanks.

- Phil

Thanks for your perspective on the 6mm BR.

One other thing. What are the best ways to purchase a rifle at the lowest price. Previously, the few weapons I bought were not expensive, and I just bought from a nearby dealer. I am not sure what kind of discounts are available, and from whom. All other equipment is available for the most part from various sources, but the firearm itself is something else.

Thanks.

- Phil
Due to our horrible restrictions in California you will have a hard time buying something in another State. You can't go to Nevada and purchase a firearm without dealing with Ca. laws.
I have tried a bunch of different ways through gun shops and the best way in my opinion is to find a local guy with a FFL and order it from him if your local shop is a problem.
Good luck.

As Boyd Allen said the 6BR is in your budget.
Lapua 6BR brass costs a little more but due to the chamber design and brass quality it seems to last forever. Quality is always cheaper in the long run.

Berger bullets are a little more expensive also but well worth it. I load em straight out of the box, no measuring or weighing. Sorry Sierra fans.
I haven't yet tried a "custom" bullet.

The 6BR is easy to load for. Pick a suitable powder and bullet and some CCI-450's and you should be quite happy. Fed 205M's work well with the lighter bullets.

Scopes are expensive. If you don't want to shell out the cash for a Nightforce I offer this simple advice. Never never ever ever look through one.
Not even a glimpse;) You'll be ruined for life and lusting after a March next.

The NightForce scopes look superb. Prices are a shock though. If I had up to $750 to spend on the scope, what would be recommended for shooting 100 yards to 600 yards, using 6mm BR?

- Phil

I'm thinking a "used" Leupold Competition fixed power might be your best bet.
You'll be getting a decent quality scope with decent repair facilities if you need it.
Scopes break. Cheap scopes break more than expensive scopes. Its carved in stone somewhere.
Replace one broken moderate priced scope with another moderate priced scope and you could have bought one of the best;)

I spent a lot of money learning this lesson. Whenever I get close to forgetting it I'll climb the boneyard behind the house affectionately called Tasco Mountain.

Just kiddin about the mountain but WalMart used to greet me extra nice.

Theres usually a few Loopys kickin around on the classifieds right here.
If not "The Shooters Corner" claims to always have a few. Google em and call.

As for the LRPV in 6BR. Excellent choice for someone just testing the waters.
It does come with a 12 twist barrel though. Should shoot awesome with 80 gn Bergers which is a very nice accurate bullet. Maybe not the best bullet for reaching to 600 yds but I firmly believe in learning close range first.

The nice thing about a Savage is the barrel nut. Shoot that 12 twist and learn handloading and shooting technique.
Still like the sport? Buy a barrel wrench and a custom, ready to fit, screw on tube in the caliber and twist of your desire and learn some more. No gunsmith required. Now your saving money.

6BR is a nice learning tool. Find a good load and shoot at 100yds if they don't all go in one hole its your fault. Either at the reloading bench or shooting bench.

Back