Newbie here with a couple of newbie questions.

M

montdoug

This is my first post here. Hi all.
To begin with I don't wish to fly under a false flag so I'd like to make it clear I do not shoot benchrest. Actually, living in Montana I'm not sure we even have a shoot in this state as much as I wish we did as I've always been profoundly interested in your sport (ever since the Triple Duce was king). The accuracy all starts here.
The reality is I eradicate varmints for several rancher friends and am a sub .22 caliber freak (.17's, .20's etc.) with a fascination for just how accurate a rifle can be made.
The reason I registered here is I'm currently having a rifle put together in a caliber I know little about and all my internet queries keep leading me to this site. The round is a 6X47 Lapua. I feel like the cretin I undoubtedly am bringing up the project because it's being build on an old 788 Remington rifle, kinda lowbrow huh :eek:? It makes about as much sense as putting a diamond snout ring on a pig I know but I am tired of looking at the thing as it was and needed a project to occupy my idle time while waiting for spring.
Greg Tannel from Kersey Colorado is going to single point the action, bush and sleeve the bolt etc. etc. and install a 1 in 12 Krieger chambered in 6X47 Lapua on it with a tight neck and what not (my target projectiles are from 65 grains to possibly 75 or 80 grains absolute max.).
Next.
I currently have a 40XBR that has been fully massaged in 6BR and was then re-barreled to .20 caliber Dasher (yes I know, a bit over bore but most effective for what I do with it).
My question is this. How much case capacity difference is there between the 6X47 and Dasher cases?
Also while I know the logical conclusion for the 6X47 is a faster twist and heavier bullets have any of you experimented with what I'm doing with the slower twist and light bullets?
If this is not an appropriate topic for this forum I certainly understand and I'll go annoy someone else :). Thanks.
This is a repost fron the general discussion forum as it was suggested this might be a better place to post it.

Hang in there Doug. Somebody here surely knows the answer. Once these guys get to know you and see what an experienced rifleman you are and what an asset you will be to this websight, you'll be more popular then a prom queen at the soda fountain. (and you don't even have to look pretty)

Doug
Trust your smith, for the twist rate, caliber, and bullet weight you shouldnt have any problems. I dont own a 6x47 lapua, but have an old varmint in 243 Win caliber with a 1 in 12 twist. Does not shoot anything over 80gr worth a hoot, but the 55 - 80gr it does very well. In fact it really likes to be fed a 75gr sierra or hornady. Excellent results

DR

welcome

doug,
like yourself im a varmint exterminater for several dairymen in my area.
currently my stable consists of 221FB, 223REM, 22-250REM, 22-250AI and im currently building a 260REM.
as i recall the 788REM it is a bolt action that locksup on the rear of the bolt. ugly? well maybe, but it is about like the current savages! they are like a faithful wife. maybe not the raciest but are comfortable and makes one smile at life. if i recall the greatest selling point of those rifles was their fast lock time which contributes to accuracy.
the 6x47 lapua interested me also but i chose to stay with the 22cal for my long range shooting. my 22-250AI is a 7 twist Hart. im currently stocking this rifle but plan to use 75-90 gr bullets for the long range stuff.
my choice for the 260 stems from the desire for long range ghogs to whitetail. hence i felt the need for the 264 bore.
sounds like you have enough sub 20's to get the job done on the stuff out to 500-600 yards. however if i were going past that with the 6mm's i would have twisted the barrells to accomidate bullets 100gr or better. that said the twist for your 6mm lupie should work well for the bullet weight range you stated for your rifle. with a slow twist like that it should be a fast barrel, meaning it should develop a fast bullet. that is good if you need the bullet to disinigrate upon impact. best of luck, Fred

Uglier than a Savage?? :eek: Daggers! Ouch!:D
I have a 112BVSS Savage in one of their laminated 4X4 stocks in .25-06 with a Canjar trigger and that is truly uglier than home made sin however the real consistent .4's to .6's with 100 grain Sierra BTSP's make it a little nicer to my eye at least and this 788 will be a lot nicer than that (at least to my eye again).
Actually I have a fondness for the old 788's, exactly right on the lock-time and as well as they shot stock I'm really looking forward to this one being fully tweaked and in an inherently accurate caliber. I currently have one in .22-250 that is on it's 3rd barrel and it still shoots solidly sub half if I do after untold thousands of rounds through the action and it wasn't massaged near as much as this one will be. Plus this one is near new as far as firings, very few.
The rest of the story is my 6BR was a 1 in 14 and I have about 4,500 6MM 70 grain bullets mostly Ballistic Tips and Hornadys old SXSP bullet (3,600 fps max) so I needed to make a rifle to burn them up (makes sense to me anyway). Also with that old 788 in .22-250 here I wanted something that would fit in the .22-250 magazine. I just got a couple hundred pieces of 6.5X47 brass and dies and after necking to 6MM with a 65 grain V-Max seated not quite to the juncture of the neck and shoulder it will fit the magazine nicely. The chamber is being cut with zero free-bore so as the V-Max's are long for caliber anyway I believe the 1 in 12 should handle them nicely as well as all the other 70's I currently have. Glad to hear DR's .243 likes light bullets, thanks.
Mostly I like single shots but for coyotes were the fur doesn't matter the repeater should come in handy.
As an aside and in defense of my "ugly gun" :D, I just finished my 7th coat of Tru-Oil after getting the nasty factory coat off and found a real decent (not stellar by any means but "real" decent) piece of furniture under there with some interesting lateral lines and even some nifty color changes, real decent, (surprisingly decent). Ok, so it's still ugly ;).
I have other long range stuff, such as that plug ugly .25-06 Savage so over 500 or 600 isn't really a concern here.
I guess my idea must be fairly far afield as to the 6X47 and light bullets on a benchrest forum but I do have one friend who has done it and has helped a great deal so I guess I'll have to continue picking his brain and experimenting. No biggie, most of my stuff is wildcats anyway but thanks.

Back