New type of contest? (Poll) Group vs. Score Shooting

Jim Andress

River Bend Gun Club
Just a little "thinkin' drinkin'" to stave off cabin fever during the cold months...

There have been many arguments over the years as to who are the better marksmen - group or score shooters - and which is the more difficult sport. I've heard folks from both sides say they wouldn't even lower themselves so far as to even shoot the other's discipline. That being said, I am personally among a group that enjoys both. I decided to try and poll our group to see if there is ample interest for such a contest.

The proposed format is Group/100 and then Score/100 on day one, then Score/200 and Group/200 on day two. Group matches would be by NBRSA targets/rules and Score would be by UBR targets/rules (supposedly no caliber advantage). Rifles would be limited to single-fire rifles with a 13.5 pound weight restriction, .30 caliber max, no muzzle brakes. Overall scoring would be a combination of how many people you beat in each discipline.

If you're interested, please take the following poll: https://forms.office.com/Pages/Resp...Sycd7R4RUMEpYUUgyQ1dDR0UyRkU4TFFHNEJYUUo0VS4u

Thanks for your participation!

Without committing too much Benchrest Heresy, can I say it might be time for the NBRSA and IBS to adopt a caliber neutral target similiar to the UBR for VFS.

As I said in a previous post, I would start with the 1/2 inch 10 ring for 22 cal, and go progressively smaller with the 6mm and 30 caliber.

I don't know what to do about someone showing up with a 25 or 6.5.

Without committing too much Benchrest Heresy, can I say it might be time for the NBRSA and IBS to adopt a caliber neutral target similiar to the UBR for VFS.

As I said in a previous post, I would start with the 1/2 inch 10 ring for 22 cal, and go progressively smaller with the 6mm and 30 caliber.

I don't know what to do about someone showing up with a 25 or 6.5.

Why not just shoot UBR? Everything is already in place and we all know how changing rules within either of the other organizations works. You'll probably alienate several shooters that never want anything to change and/or are heavily invested in 30 cal.. I can easily envision a split like that taking NBRSA back to a group shooting only organization.

It's so easy to become a sanctioned UBR range and to start holding UBR matches, it just makes sense. I think the fee to the range is only like $25/year and there are currently no annual membership fees to the shooters. I can not envision either of the other two organizations doing that.

UBR is growing. Come along for the ride.

I voted and will say, I think this too is a good idea, but that's how the other thread started. Lol!

I do have a question, Jim...I know it's early on in the process but do you think we'd have the option to change guns, group vs score?

Last edited:
Back