new tooling on the horizon at PT&G..

Rustystud

Dave Kiff will soon be offering a few new tools.

1. A D1-4 Cat head

2. A D1-4 Action truing Jig

3. A piloted action tap for Savages, Remingtons, Winxchesters both in standared and plus .010"

Nat Lambeth

If I had only waited a while......lol

-----------Jeff

I'll be interested to see how he does the action truing jig. It would be an advantage to have it with a D1-4 interface so it mounts solid and aligned to the spindle. I have to mount mine in the 4J and get it all aligned before i can use it, which takes me a while. Having one with an integral D1-4 mount would be an advantage. I may take a look at buying a cheap D1-4 blank backing plate and bolting my truing jig to it. That would make it easier to use. With his machinery he can CNC machine one all one piece that would be pretty nice to use. I may want to be sitting down when I look at the price.

That said, CAT heads (spider chucks?) are so easy to make I can't understand why anyone would buy one. There's nothing ultra precision about them, one's as good as another. Big thing is to make it so the clamp screws are inside the head and won't grab clothing. Grizzley managed to flunk cat heads with their exposed clamp screws.

I mean, here's a D1-4 CAT head that was made in 4 hours from start to finish:

Recrowned2009-02-28RS.jpg

Bolts on the backing plate for my 4J. Cost less than ten bux. clamp screws use the same allen wrench size as the cat head bolts on the other end of my lathe spindle - a feature.

Maybe he has something special planned ...

Fitch

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose the D1-4 cat head would be ideal for those who don't have a rotary table and mill.
Easy enough to make if you do.

img6048rh.jpg

Am curious to see a D1-4 Action Spider.

Last edited:
I suppose the D1-4 cat head would be ideal for those who don't have a rotary table and mill.

img6048rh.jpg

Even easier and faster on a mill with a DRO.

Fitch

One of these days I'll get out of the Stone Age and get me a DRO. ;)
Still calculating everything by dials on the Bridgeport and SB via old school.

img6048rh.jpg

When you get grabbed by those 4 long screws on the outboard end you will know why we old school guys called them cat heads!!!! Put in some shorter socket head screws for your own safety.

PS I love South Bends, nice one you have there.

something wrong with a drill press and the lathe ???
did mine...front and back there...
mike in co

img6048rh.jpg

I procrastinated about the DRO for years, a decade actually. Real men didn't need no stinking DRO. Then I bought one. OMG! It's the best thing I ever did for that mill. I highly recommend it.

Fitch

When you get grabbed by those 4 long screws on the outboard end you will know why we old school guys called them cat heads!!!! Put in some shorter socket head screws for your own safety.
PS I love South Bends, nice one you have there.
Thanks and yes that's an old photo. The screws have been changed so I can close the whole gear cover. I don't fancy the idea of gears spinning in the open either.

I'm in the process of fitting a taper attachment to it as we speak. This lathe was a well cared for hospital maintenance machine that I rescued from lack of activity in excellent shape. I've put more hours on it than they have.

frwilla, If I recall, Shiraz responded to a design from someone on this web site for that cathead. Fortunately they didn't make it in D1-4 or I would have bought one.

Nothin wrong with that. If you have a good accurate machine and are mainly doing small volume custom jobs then DRO may not be worth it. Probably great if you are doing production work though, or it's getting alot of use.

Back