New to Benchrest - Hall action / barrel question

J

JimBarshinger

Hi. I have lurked around this sight for a while and have finally decided to take the plunge and give benchrest a try. I was hoping that you folks could help me out with a few things. First, I purchased a used LV with Hall M action from the classifieds. The gun is pretty much turn key, having a Weaver 36X scope, dies, brass and bullets all included. The only bad thing is that the barrel has 2300rds - the seller said that the barrel was on its way down hill, and that it would was throwing shots out of the group now and then. Anyway, 2300rds seems like it is probably past its prime based on all that I have read. I was thinking that perhaps a good way to go (without spending too much money) would be to purchase a used barrel that is still shooting pretty good. So, do you all think that this is a good way to go, or should I just save up my pennies for a new barrel? Also in looking for a barrel on benchrest.com and 6mmbr.com, I had seen some barrels for a Hall S. Is the barrel tenon the same on the S and M models? Any idea how uniform the headspace dimensions are on the Hall actions - can I expect to just screw on a used barrel, or will headspace need to be adjusted by removing shoulder material or reaming the chamber. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Best regards,
Jim Barshinger

Used barrel

Buying a used barrel is a risk. The odds that someone is selling his near new hummer barrel are small at best. Chances are very slim that you can just screw it onto your action and start shooting. That requires paying gunsmith to either rechamber or at least fit the headspace.

This is of course only my opinin other can have a different one, but if you cant do your gunsmithing (that is chamber and headspace) your self but have to pay a gunsmith to do it I would rather buye a new one as it is the same cost to chamber a new barrel as an old one.

It would make more sence to me to use this old barrel as a fireforming barrel for the new one and also use it to get experience with your gun and loading and just see how small groups you can get from it. It will be a good learning process for you, trying that and getting aquinted to the wind flags. It also could save you half of the life of the new barrel.

Just my $0.02

Jim,
At least 90% of the used barrels out there will not fit your rifle without some fitting and most are not worth the price of that work by a gunsmith. Save your money for a new barrel and meanwhile practice and dip your feet in a local match with the old barrel.

Dick

You did not say but I assume you are talking about a ppc and considering the competitive lifespan of a ppc barrel, a used barrel makes no sense. Play with what you have and get a new barrel to replace it with. Steve

New barrel

Welcome!
Have fun.
Save your pennies for a new barrel. Get with someone that shoots in competition, use the "old" barrel to learn:
Learn to shoot over flags.
Learn to tune.
Learn what bullets and powder you like or better yet your barrel likes.
Practice a lot. If you enjoy shooting, practice is great fun.
Learn what you need to shoot well, Front rest, rear rest etc.
Once again welcome to the madness of bench shooting.

Marty

Thanks for the responses and encouragement. I know what you all are saying regarding used barrels. I guess I was just hoping that there were some good ones out there. It seems like you see a fair amount of used barrels for sale. Perhaps the people purchasing them are using them for varmint rifles. The current barrel that I have is a 6PPC with .262 neck (forgot to mention that before). I plan to take the gun up to Bruce Lapachelle to borescope the barrel and check things out.

Best Regards,
Jim Barshinger

Most used barrels for sale have been determined not to be competitive from the start or have been shot untill the are uncompetitive but they will still make a really good varmint gun. Steve

The advice you read is all correct; my suggestion is that you start with a new Shilen barrel, probably cheapest of the good ones. My first BR gun was a Hall M with 4 barrels, all 6 ppc. I still have the gun, but it now sports a Bartlien 6mmBR barrel for 500 yd. matches. Records from the first two owners, including my use of the Hall action, show it has been fired about 12,000 times. I have never had a problem with the action, but thought it best to retire the old mainspring last year. They are a bugger to change. Good shootin!!

One other point - after you have several barrels chambered for that action, you can buy a barrel vise and action wrench, change them yourself.

Tenring - thanks for the advice. I already have a barrel vice so just need to get a Hall action wrench and I will be all set.. I am pretty sure that my gun still has the original barrel and it has been fired 2300 rds so I guess I have some catching up to do to your 12000 :)

Back