New to 2 oz triggers

tiny68

I just got my Savage Target action back from SSS whom installed their new Evolution trigger in my 30BR. It is a little less than 2 oz. My question is that I seem to be getting a few slam fires with a cycle the action fast and slam the bolt down. I have not play with the adjustment at all or call to ask Fred about adjust yet.

Do you guys ever have slam fires with your Jewels at 1 1/2 - 2 oz or does the Jewel technology eliminate this?

Just needing a little advice be a heading to the range. This feels a world different from the 8 oz AccuTrigger (mine wouldn't go to 6 oz). I definitely like the feel.

Thanks for any input, Tim

My Borden Rifles have Jewell 1.5 ounce triggers and I can rough house with them and they never slam fire.

Adrian

Tim ...

I seem to be getting a few slam fires with a cycle the action fast and slam the bolt down. Tim

See what happens when you DON'T cycle the action fast and slam the bolt down. ;)

See what happens when you DON'T cycle the action fast and slam the bolt down. ;)

No problems. I have cycled and fired a 100 plus slowly with a snapcap and not had any issues. But went I speed it up..... that's went I get in trouble. Tim

I do not consider a trigger that requires that sort of special handling to be safe, and recommend that it be fixed before firing. My Jewel, Canjar LP, and Shilen do not have this characteristic.

never

A rifle not staying cocked is one thing but an actual slam fire is just not acceptable. I don't think a range officer would let a rifle continue to be brought to the line with this condition. This is another thing I rely on from a custom action. Bolts have to cycle at any speed and triggers always break like glass the same way every time. Your mind has to be on the target/wind not on your trigger. IMHO have it adjusted.

It would seem that your trigger is set too light for reliable operation. I have owned Hart, Shilen and lots of Jewel triggers that all went under 2 oz. without this type problem.

Dick

I had the same trouble the first time I shot a trigger that light. It turned out to be the way I was closing the bolt. My little finger would brush the trigger and --bang. It was a jewel trigger and a sloppy finger.

I've got the SSS Evolution trigger (set @ 2 oz) and never had any trouble with slam fires, call fred and let him walk you thur adjusting (or send it back for him to adjust), what you have is not safe as it is ,,,,,,,,,,,,BUT,,, it can be made to work and work safely,, mean while back at the ranch the flame throwers act like they've never seen or heard of any other brand doing it but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, it happens,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, triggers get adjusted but people that are clueless,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, dummys doing trigger jobs keep me busy installing jewell, shilen and timney triggers because "bubba" did a trigger job and now my gun won't stay cocked,won't shoot or my favorite " yep it went off and shot a hole in the floorboard of my brand new 4x4 truck",,,,,,,,,,

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

new to 2oz triggers

Shot a HOLE IN MY FLOOR BOARD:eek:
Better stay away from that guy'

Well that is disturbing. I was considering sending my Savage to him for the trigger job & bedding, but now, I dunno. Keep us posted please.

Cheers,

Mark

Tiny would you happen to want to sell the old 8oz accutrigger? I have a heavy 1.5-6lb on and am trying to use factory Savage parts.

Tiny,
Man you got a real fine rifle, but it just ain't a BR rifle and I think you know it. I spent about a year and over $1,000 trying to make a BR rifle based on a Savage action. I must say I had a bunch of fun and learned a lot. I learned that you can't do what I was trying to do. You can only get so close. Now I have two full race BR rifles and my old Savage based on a 110 action, PacNor barrel, Stockade BR stock, Freds Br trigger, etc. Man it shoots good but just not good enough. I even built a ball and roller bearing cocking system for it. Still love that ole rifle but just don't shoot it much anymore. As the old saying goes.....once you shoot a really accurate rifle not much else interests you. Just go ahead and get Stiller to or whoever to furnish you an action and get to building......you will be much happier....

Donald

Now here's...

Tiny,
Man you got a real fine rifle, but it just ain't a BR rifle and I think you know it. I spent about a year and over $1,000 trying to make a BR rifle based on a Savage action. I must say I had a bunch of fun and learned a lot. I learned that you can't do what I was trying to do. You can only get so close. Now I have two full race BR rifles and my old Savage based on a 110 action, PacNor barrel, Stockade BR stock, Freds Br trigger, etc. Man it shoots good but just not good enough. I even built a ball and roller bearing cocking system for it. Still love that ole rifle but just don't shoot it much anymore. As the old saying goes.....once you shoot a really accurate rifle not much else interests you. Just go ahead and get Stiller to or whoever to furnish you an action and get to building......you will be much happier....

Donald

Now here's some great advise from Don folks...pay attention!;)

virg

Tiny,
Just go ahead and get Stiller to or whoever to furnish you an action and get to building......you will be much happier....

Donald

Don,

As you well know, I have made it to a few matches with my Savage already. I will continue to shoot this same rifle in F/Class (with the trigger set at 4-6 oz) even if I don't made it work well as a true BR rig. That was the reason I invested in Fred's evolution trigger. I personally don't care the AccuTrigger and wanted a replacement. I have had the pleasure of shooting a few true BR rifles at Denton in the past year. I have no expectations that my Savage will be at the top of the list. However, I am steady climbing up. I managed to compete with more than half of field at the last couple of club matches in score, shooting against mainly true BR rifles. Even my Savage shoots better than my ability to read the wind. I have shoot several low 2s on the home range and still have yet to pull an agg in the 3s come match day. It isn't the gun.... it is me. But I also know a 2 will not win even a Denton club match on a typical day. I took at $16k pay cut in 2009. I am learning to live that. Dropping $1600-2000 a used or $3000-4000 on a new BR rifle is just not realistic for me at this point in life. Until my financial situtation changes I will have to make due with swapping barrels on my old Savage from a 6BR to a 30BR for score and group and to a 223/308 for FCLass. I still will not make weight for a registrared match in LV.

I do love BR shooting. It is in no way a cheap sport. I have seen the discussions on the forum about what a 4 wheeler or boat cost as comparisons to BR. I don't own a 4 wheeler. My 2 wheelers have petals. My boat is an 1982 vintage and I've had it 15 years. It was paid for 13 years ago. When my house and land are paid off in 10 or so years, I will start investing in true premium BR guns. I seen some of the guys pull up with 4-6 rifles that means a $20k plus investment with a couple of March scopes on them. I'll be honest, if I had $20k extra I wouldn't invest it in BR rifles. The wife and I had a serious discussion about me spending $2k on a used gun a couple of weeks back. I agreed, it is not the time. Until then I'll try to learn from you guys and keep trying to edge up the list with the old Savage. I have shot a 249 three times with up to a 14X. Still a 250 eludes me. Maybe this year.... :):)

Tim

Where does the grass................

end, an' the RIFLE begin........?? Hey George, that is one nice looking rifle!! I don't think you can get a closer match on those colors, do you? Thanks for the picture, I appreciate it!............;):)

You are...

Don,
I do love BR shooting. It is in no way a cheap sport. I have seen the discussions on the forum about what a 4 wheeler or boat cost as comparisons to BR. I don't own a 4 wheeler. My 2 wheelers have petals. My boat is an 1982 vintage and I've had it 15 years. It was paid for 13 years ago. When my house and land are paid off in 10 or so years, I will start investing in true premium BR guns. I seen some of the guys pull up with 4-6 rifles that means a $20k plus investment with a couple of March scopes on them. I'll be honest, if I had $20k extra I wouldn't invest it in BR rifles. The wife and I had a serious discussion about me spending $2k on a used gun a couple of weeks back. I agreed, it is not the time. Until then I'll try to learn from you guys and keep trying to edge up the list with the old Savage. I have shot a 249 three times with up to a 14X. Still a 250 eludes me. Maybe this year.... :):)

Tim

You are very sensible. As time goes by you may be able to afford more sophisticated equipment. However, while you continue to participate in matches and hone your "condition" reading skills and bench technique, when you do have the opportunity to attain the equipment you want, you'll be ready for it. In the meantime, you'll get much enjoyment out of competing and sometimes beating the better equipped shooters. Have fun, you sound like a guy who'll stick around awhile.

Glad to have ya!

Good luck,
virg

I'm probably one of the turkeys too. Never had a firearm until last year ('nother story). .22, then a Savage varmint rifle (used of course); now a Shilen barrel, better stock.

Yep, I know not to put too much more $$ into this. I'll probably start saving for a better set up soon. But the Savage has allowed me to

assemble equipment such as front rest, rear bags
learn how to bed and headspace
chronograph experience
learn how to fireform
how to get rid of that "donut"
read ALL about the arguments on cleaning
caring for the crown
assemble an inredible amount of reloading equipment and learn how to use it (first in .223 , then 38 special, then 9mm, and now in 6PPC)
learn good bit about scopes, bases, rings, alignment, mirage, parallax
wind, ballistics

and all the while I was working with stuff that was not so doggoned expensive that I would have been terrified all the while that I was going to break something. That has been a huge benefit to me.

I've got two kids still to raise, the nation is BROKE and my retirement is actually in pretty good shape -- being judicious in each hobby has allowed me to fly airplanes, learn how to fish, and now do "club" benchrest.

Maybe 6 or 9 months and I'll be moving on to a REAL fancy rifle, but I've got a lot more still to learn. The Shilen barrel in itself made a huge diffference in the sensitivity to powder changes -- less than a third of the sensitivity that the old varmint barrel had.

I'll be reading about actions and triggers in the meantime, learning from all of y'all to get ready, while I save up the $$ for it!

Gordon

In the meantime, you'll get much enjoyment out of competing and sometimes beating the better equipped shooters. Have fun, you sound like a guy who'll stick around awhile.

Glad to have ya!

Good luck,
virg

Virgil is spot on... Tim is enjoy'n what he is doing with what he has.. Has his priorities IN LINE. Tim's bit hard about ACCURACY & PRECISION riflemanship... As time goes by Tim will save his bucks for a BR rifle.
My Benchrest Rifles are kinda "vintage":D:) and I feel just fine competeing against any and all. My money mostly goes towards my investments for the future.... In hopes of retiring young enough to ENJOY it fully...
But would LIKE to build a new Bat one of these seasons soon....:)

See ya'll at Denton, Shilen swap meet too,

cale

Back