New self guided bullets.

NO car ad on mine. Pretty cool. I knew they had been working on something for some years now.
Much larger than I thought but then again cant make them that small yet.

The laser designator is worlds different from "self guided". Somebody has to stand there and keep the laser on the target. Why not just shoot more accurately?

Karl on that note the point becomes even more painfully clear.
This is small ordinance sooooooo if you can hit it with a laser designator what would the reason be that the same person couldnt just shoot the intended target in the first place?

Karl on that note the point becomes even more painfully clear.
This is small ordinance sooooooo if you can hit it with a laser designator what would the reason be that the same person couldnt just shoot the intended target in the first place?

Cause now the bullet is self-compensating for wind drift and target movement. If the target should move (don't know how much it can compensate for) once the bullet is fired, it may be able to track, follow the laser designator. Truly, one shot one kill.

Bob

Bob if that were the case for use by snipers, then they only need to put the designator on the scope.

The laser designator is worlds different from "self guided". Somebody has to stand there and keep the laser on the target. Why not just shoot more accurately?

there are lots of ok shooters who can get within ten feet at a mile not so many who can hit within 4" , ok shooters are a dime a dozen--- someone who can read the trees and dust for windage knowing the holdover from the angle of your own body. CAN ANY OF YOU HIT A TARGET let alone MOVING at 2,000 Yards?

It "guides itself" to the laser designator, that's good enough. This technology will change sniping forever by taking some of the variables out and increasing the hit count. I hope they don't have any "sporting" applications.

Either I'm deafer than I thought or this thing isn't exactly "small caliber". The narrator said that the "bullet" was 4 inches long, and from an article I read in today's paper the velocity is 2400 fps. Maybe it's got some additional propulsion from something, but I sort of doubt that "recreational shooters" will be enjoying the use of this anytime soon or ever. I'd imagine that the BATFE would declare it a "destructive device" and clamp down hard on any civilian use.

Or course to most people a 'bullet' is the entire cartridge, but four inches is still pretty long for a convenient loaded rifle cartridge.

Cause now the bullet is self-compensating for wind drift and target movement. If the target should move (don't know how much it can compensate for) once the bullet is fired, it may be able to track, follow the laser designator. Truly, one shot one kill.

Bob

think about the concept of adjusting the flight of a bullet based on perceived changes from the target. given the actual time of flight between shooter and target, how is it possible to make minute adjustments quickly enough to actually affect the path of the bullet? without knowing the technology in use, if any type of mechanical device inside the bullet itself is used to deflect its path, then those 'deflectors' must be controlled by 'something', and that 'something' must physically move the 'deflector'.

can that actually be done in real time, and if so, what is the minimum distance required to affect the path change?

sounds kinda spooky to me if this actually can be accomplished...

I'm gussing this realy has no practicle use inside 1000 yards, and if you think your 338 lapua is exspensive to shoot now. And i would realy hope no one would consider sitting on a ridge using a laser designator to spot elk. On the other hand imagine what a short burst of these from an m-50 all tracking the same laser pointed at moving vehicle could do, exspecialy from an already tricky shot say out of a helicopter door or off the top of a moving humv, This could be a game changer if they realy have the true ability to compensate for field conditions durring flight.

the government has a "gun" which shoots a rocket propelled round range is about 2.5 miles; they have had it since at least 1986 ( one went to panama but it did not get used authorization was denied) problem is correcting for movement and this might be their solution .

It's not a conventional spin stabilized bullet, it's a fin guided sabot launched projectile. I suspect they shoot it out of a smoothbore tube of some sort. Not sure how good it's BC is going to be but, depending on how much correction it's capable of, that might not matter. There could be some issues associated with getting the initial laser aquisition if the sabot shedding gyrations are assymetrical, and how much purturbation the projectile can stand with out losing aquisition. I'd think if the launcher is hand held, the recoil is going to be "significant".

Fitch

Back