New revolutionary wind device

V

Viking

Long story short, when I started competitive benchrest shooting, I quickly realized that I would have to start using windflags. Especially at the range I am shooting at, where it's always tricky wind conditions. I also quickly realized that reading wind flags is a type of slow torture that involves more guessing and trying things that might or might not work.
Mainly because of hysteresis inate in an archaic system during wind pickup and wind die down.
I decided to invent something new that would show me instantly what happens to the trajectory of my projectile. It has taken about a year to come up with this system, and I've applied for a patent. I do have a provisional patent on it.

This is the first prototype. The second one also have the addition of a another rod with a flat vane reading up/down movement. It does this already with the aid of the large ball, but not enough, as the field test showed. The vane behind the ball serve two purposes, one is obvious (side/side) but by turning it slightly left or right, depending on the spin direction of your barrel, it will account for the Magnus effect as well.

Last weekend during EBR I took it out so people could have a look, I was overwhelmed by the interest in it, and was approached by several CEO's and companies who wants to team up with me to bring it to market in the US and in Europe(World)

You can see it in action here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykhlgFkXgLA
Here is short walk around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MWO-7HQt0c

I've started a page for it on fb: https://www.facebook.com/Range.Windmeister/

I let a few competitors use it so I could get some user feedback and field data, from more sources. One competitor did a test shooting at 75yds, he was shooting a .25 cal. In gusty 14mph winds. Without it he could manage about 5" groups. Using it, he put 20 shots in a circle barely bigger than 1.3".

Here is a couple of pictures:
Sideview.jpg
Field Testing.jpg

Flag looks spectacular . But you do need more than one on the range as otherwise you are only reading wind in one spot. We most use 4+ flags on 50m .22LR and 25m AIR guys also use 3-4 flags.

Sys looks really good.
I see you have it mounted on a tripod. I gues it has to be level. Could it mount on a std. Flag stand?

Have you tried it at 200yd. It looks like it may be difficult to see at that distance. I guess you could make
The ball and circle larger to see further away.
Any guess on the cost as 100 & 200 BR would need 4 to 6 units plus tripods.
How long before they would be available?

Ben

Congratulations on a clever idea. I like it. Some suggestions, if you don't mind. First, it needs to be larger to see at 100 yards, let alone 200 and 300. Second, unless the wind in the video really was that unsteady, it looks like there is overshoot and oscillation, which could be reduced with decreased rotational inertia of the mechanism and/or with damping. Finally, calibration to different bullets and muzzle velocities is going to be a challenge, which you might leave to the buyer if you design in adjustability. But with a little science you could pre calibrate and deliver the system ready-to-go.

Best of luck in your development,
Keith

While your device is certainly an interesting one, I think there is another one that is far advanced from yours! Lawrence Weisdorn has a system or series of wind monitors( sensors that he puts out and they are connected to a tablet that sits on the bench , he has written and or modified a program so that when the data collected is analyzed by the computer and it gives him an aiming point(hold off) for the next shot! I watched him shoot with this system last year in Phoenix, and he did remarkably well! I just looked at the results and he was 3rd for the 2 day 5 shot unlimited.Maybe he will see this a tell us how the system works!

Hello Gary

Thanks for all the accolades, but they actually belong to Jerry Hensler. By the way, the computer doesn't "calculate" anything. It simply gives a pictorial display of the millivolt reading coming up the line.

Lawrence

Thanks Lawrence, I was hoping you would clarify! All I know is it was pretty awesome! Will you be in Phoenix next month?

Back