New Powder

G

Greg Fowl

This may be old news, but Chris Hodgdon hase announced a new powder cfe223 for fall release. It is a "copper fouling eraser" designed for auto weapons. Sounds interesting. I received an e-mail from a friend but it should be on their website. Shoot safe!!! V/R Greg

about 6 months ago i was notified of a new powder for the military that "eliminated" copper fouling.
i assume this is the civilian version...now to see how well it works ...

chrome lined bores only ?/ ss bores ?? chrome moly bores ??
only time will tell

mike in co

Is this the future

A powder that removes fowling as it propells the projectile along the barrel. If this is a success is this the future for all powders ? Will all the rifle powders in all the burning rates and loading densities adopt this technology ?
Andy.

I predict that 2011-2012 will give us an "explosion" of powders like we have never seen before for mid capacity cartridges. Alliant is in process of introducing at least two newbies, AR-COMP and Power-Pro Varmint. A Big Sky Country supplier has a new 8208 range product in process. And, Hodgdon, in addition to what Chris Hodgdon just announced has yet another new-chemistry product due to arrive soon. All this dope comes from a little mouse that lives in a hole in my baseboard.

Thales ADI Hodgdon

Correct me if I am wrong but as far as I know Hodgdon powders are actually powders made by Thales in South Australia. They are sold under the ADI brand name in Oz and relabled and sold under the H---- designation in the USA. This essentially means that although the Hodgdon brand of powders isn't sold in Oz if you know what the Australian name for the powder is then you have access to the same product.
Andy.

Copper fouling eraser is a good product by Hodgdon.It is one the best powder I have seen in the market. The quality of the powder is so good that you will enjoying shooting.

Actually several other powder makers have used copper eliminators in their powders for several years. The one that comes to mind is Allliants 10X. One of the by products has been a sooty like residue
I wonder if the ADI/Hodgdon will have the same by product?
Ted

Correct me if I am wrong but as far as I know Hodgdon powders are actually powders made by Thales in South Australia. They are sold under the ADI brand name in Oz and relabled and sold under the H---- designation in the USA. This essentially means that although the Hodgdon brand of powders isn't sold in Oz if you know what the Australian name for the powder is then you have access to the same product.
Andy.

Except.....

The Double Based "Ball" powders with Hodgdon lable... H335, H BLC-2, H380... Just for example... USA produced.
The Single Based "Stick" powders with Hodgdon lable... H4198, H322, H4350... Just for example... ADI Australia.

Copper erraser...??.... I call that a Custom Hand lapped barrel.... Well for the most part... Ha.

Though, interesting that the powder makers/marketers are REALLY LISTENING to the shooting community... GOOD.!

cale

The other day I happened to be looking through Hodgdon's website and noticed that cfe223 was shown as giving good velocities with 168-175 gr SMK's in the .308 if my rememberater is working properly. Wonder how long it'll take it to arrive in the hinterlands? I wonder if I really need anymore new powders?

Andy,

WW 231 and HP-38 are the same, WW 296 and H 110 are the same, WW 760 and H 414 are the same, BLC-2 and WW 748 are pretty close but probably not the same. There may be others....

Greg

I wouldnt know, but i assumed the copper eliminator ordeal would be nothing more than a graphite or similar coating in the powder that coats the bore protecting it from copper? But maybe not?? We will just have to see. Lee

Whats the scoop on the powder That Mr Merdica is supposed to be involved in? Or is all that nothing more than Benchrest gossip?? Lee

Andy,

WW 231 and HP-38 are the same, WW 296 and H 110 are the same, WW 760 and H 414 are the same, BLC-2 and WW 748 are pretty close but probably not the same. There may be others....

Greg

What is the source for W296 and H110 being the same powder? I'm asking because the charges are not identical for the two powders in reloading manuals, at least in .357 magnum and .22 Hornet, the two places I've experimented with them.

Fitch

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy.

The stick powders are made by Thales in Australia, but not in South Aus. You are mostly correct about accessing a Hodgdon powder in Australia under the ADI designation, but not entirely. For example the IMR 8208 XBR in made in Australia, but has never been marketed here - 100% of the production gets shipped to the USA.

Whats the scoop on the powder That Mr Merdica is supposed to be involved in? Or is all that nothing more than Benchrest gossip?? Lee
There is a new powder coming from a source that murdica did send samples.

edit

I for got to add some other interested parties have been involved too with this powder provider, some since 2006.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back