New/old USP Bore paste

JerrySharrett

Senile Member
Anyone using the "new" old JB bore paste. Walt Fafta of USP products now has the ok to make the "JB" product by the old formula and sent me some to test some time ago.

This new/old JB is now offered in a tube. Recently I have been shooting, in competition, long strings between cleanings. In trying various cleaning methods for these really gunky bores I tried cleaning a barrel with this tube JB and one with Iosso.

The tube JB cleans slower but leaves the barrel in a lubed condition while the Iosso cleans faster but leaves the bore really dry.

In all this testing I have come to the conclusion we clean too often and too harshly.

At the 2016 Super Shoot I shot entire aggs plus the warm-up without cleaning. In the first 3 aggs my last group was smaller than the warm-up, SO??

Comments?

Jerry

I will agree with your comment that many clean too often. I shoot a .30 cal in score. My last two barrels were clean when I did the warm up and I don't clean till I'm done. When I did the routine was a couple of wet patches, bronze brush and wet patches till clean. Never any copper. One was a Shilen 17 twist that didn't drop off accuracy wise till over 7000 rounds. The other a Lilja that went uncompetitive around 3500. Currently on an 18 twist Krieger and no copper after an average of 50-60 match rounds. Accuracy is just fine throughout the match. Every barrel is different but I do think many can do just fine with only end of match cleaning. JMHO. --Greg

Jerry

So what is the downside to all of this cleaning? I use a little Iosso when a routine cleaning still leaves some black streaks on a dry patch, maybe once a year. Other than that, its Butch's and a light brushing. Seems to work for me.

So what is the downside to all of this cleaning? I use a little Iosso when a routine cleaning still leaves some black streaks on a dry patch, maybe once a year. Other than that, its Butch's and a light brushing. Seems to work for me.

Pretty obvious that too much cleaning with the chemicals and abrasives we use today cause, probably, more wear than shooting I think it would be close as to which causes the most damage.

Probably the first place to suffer cleaning wear is the crown. Do all the tests you want to but sharp crowns are slightly more accurate than the beveled or micro-beveled edge. Remember when the 14 degree crown was the rage? How many do you see today? Back to the crown damage. That sharp intersection between the barrel bore and the barrel muzzle face wears pretty quick when the brush goes past it. Somewhere back in the archives Greg Walley posted high magnification photos of this area. Scary! If you do your own barrel work and refresh the crown ever 300 rounds of so the barrel will stay competative longer.

Last edited:
Jerry do you happen to know if it will still be offered in Jar form or just the Tube, after over forty years of using this product specificaly for all of my cleaning needs the tube just does not seem fitting and or a move in the right direction to fullfill my future needs? If you could please pass that onto the powers that be I would highly appreciate it.

JLouis

JB in a jar is available. Just Google JB Bore Cleaner. The issue that I had with the tube is that mine separated. As far as its functional properties go, the stuff in the tube worked just fine.

Back