New Hogdon Powder

A

AlanF

Does anyone have experience with HYBRID 100V, a new spherical powder with a burn rate between H4350 and H4831SC? I'm wondering what its like for temperature stability. If okay it should suit medium capacity 6.5mm and 7mm cases.

Alan

I called Powder Valley to see when it would be available, and was told spring 08.
I will just watch their site when it hits and get some.

Alan, a new Hodgdon ball powder is news to me. For the most part - at least in the past - Hodgdon has marketed surplus military spherical powders (BL-C2, H335) or bought surplus production from Winchester (HP38/W231, HS6/W540, H414/W760). Whether deserved or not, ball powders have had a poor reputation where fouling & temp. sensitivity are concerned, and so, the majority of BR & HP shooters have concentrated on using extruded, single-base propellants. The exceptions to that statement are Hercules/Alliant's RL-series, and Vihta Vuori's 500s-series high energy powders.

Ramshot introduced a new line of ball powders several years ago that - at least in my experience - are far less sensitive to temp changes than several of the older ball powders, and are no worse in the fouling dept. than any of the typical IMR or Hodgdon Extreme extruded powders. However, old prejudice dies hard, and in any case, results with single-base extruded powders would be very difficult to beat. So it remains to be seen whether a new generation of shooters - one perhaps not so familiar with some of the old wives' tales about ball powders - might do some serious experimentation with spherical propellants that would result in them becoming more popular in competition circles.

Powder Valley is currently marketing a new surplus powder (2004 production) from Accurate Arms/Ramshot called Data 85 that's supposed to have a burning rate between 4350 & 4831. Ramshot Hunter load data can be used with Data 85; I'd suggest you take a look at Western Powders/Ramshot's online loading manual to get an idea how it performs.

I'm planning to attend the SHOT Show, and will put Hybrid 100V on my list of things to ask questions about.

Hodgdon says expect temp stability similar to other ball powders and
Hybrid 100V is being shipped now as dealers order it.
James

New powder not ball

I've seen pictures of the new powder. It's not ball powder, it's like short-cut stick powder with rounded/smooth ends. It's supposed to flow better and provide more consistent weights.
There was an article in Handloader magazine. The pictures were in a different publication.

Since according to Hodgdons load data it appears that it would be a good choice for my 7mm SAUM, excellent load densities. So I called Hodgdon to find the availiability and temp sensitivity since the granule description sounds a little like H-322 which is an extreme powder and meters very well through my powder measurer.
What I posted is a direct quote from Hodgdon.
I agree he probably should have worded it differently or maybe I got the wrong guy and he doesn't have a clue:D.
James

Like H-322

If the new hybrid powder would be like H-322 that would be great, especially if the burn rate is simliar to H4350.

It ain't like H322; The data on the lable is as follows'
243 Win 43.7g 100V 100g BTSP 3100fp (43.7g of H322 in the 243 is not listed in the Hogdon book but Quickload says 3436fps and 107,349 psi .)
270 Win 56.0g 100V 130g Sp 3066fps
280 Rem 52.0g 100V 160g SP 2712 fps
7mm Rem mag 63.0g 100V 140g Nos Part 3138 fps.

url]

It does look some like the very old 322. Short black sticks.

Last edited:
Jerry
Sorry if my post was confusing. I did mean granule size/shape not burn rate.
Since I have not actually seen the Hybid 100V powder, only read descriptive reports of it, the size/shape was only speculation on my part.
James

Hodgdon has load data for the Hybrid 100 on their website for a few calibers.
Looking over the 243 data, and comparing their charge rates to Velocity and PSI, looks like it is close to H414/H4350.

Jerry -- what have you tried it in?

Happy Shooting
Donovan Moran

Last edited:
Hey Donovan,

I'm loading some right now in a 600 yarder straight 243 Win and Berger 105 LTB's. It may be a few days before I shoot them. We're 32f (warm for you) but I'm a wimp on cold weather. The wind is currently 285 @ 7 (calm for you). No, the swimming pool is not open!

The 43.5 grain load of 100V in the 243 is about 0.510 from the case mouth or about the body/shoulder intersection. This puts the powder about 1/16" below the base of a 105 LTB in this chamber which has a 0.180" freebore.

Jerry - Regular "Heat Wave" down there then.....lol

Thanks for the info !!! Keep me posted on 100V if you would!!!

Only if you want to here: I would like to know the bulk density:
- To find the bulk density for a powder first weigh a container (large as practical) filled to the top with the powder, then fill the container to the top with water and weigh it again.
- Divide the weight of the powder by its weight full of water. The result (1.000 or less) is the bulk density of the powder.
(*Bulk density is commonly expressed as grams per cubic centimeter of water (g/cc). A bulk density of 0.970 g/cc means the powder is 97% as dense as water. Since the weight of one cc of water is nearly always 1 gram, bulk density is the powder's weight in any volume divided by the weight of water filling the same volume*)

Happy Shooting
Donovan Moran

Jerry
Since you are loading this powder(Hybrid 100V).
How well does it actually flow through the powder measurer, is it similar to H-322 in that regard?
I would also be interested in any real world experience with temp. effect on this powder.
James

Jerry
Since you are loading this powder(Hybrid 100V).
How well does it actually flow through the powder measurer, is it similar to H-322 in that regard?
I would also be interested in any real world experience with temp. effect on this powder.
James
Like poop through a tin horn!! Or at least it does through an RCBS Chargemaster. It's almost exactly the same granule size as H322.

I could go out now and give you a cold weather effect but...its now 29F.
Strangely, it does not have the Hodgdon "Extreme" logo on it?? I think Hodgdon makes a notation about their Extreme powders on their web site.

Finally shot some Hybrid 100V

Hey Donovan,

I'm loading some right now in a 600 yarder straight 243 Win and Berger 105 LTB's. It may be a few days before I shoot them. We're 32f (warm for you) but I'm a wimp on cold weather. The wind is currently 285 @ 7 (calm for you). No, the swimming pool is not open!

The 43.5 grain load of 100V in the 243 is about 0.510 from the case mouth or about the body/shoulder intersection. This puts the powder about 1/16" below the base of a 105 LTB in this chamber which has a 0.180" freebore.
As you can read above I had loaded 3 loads in the 243 Win with Berger 105 LTB's.

The load data on the can gave 43.7g/100g BTSP/3100fps

What I got was with 43.5g/105g LTB/3190 fps and 100 yard 3 shot group=0.35"

42.0g/105g LTB/3080 fps and 100 Yard 3-shot group=0.25"

44.5g/105f LTB/3300 fps and 100 yard 3-shot group=0.7" with hard bolt lift.

This data is from a 26" 8-twist barrel. The chrono was 12 feet from muzzle and the numbers above are not corrected. I probably will not shoot this gun in 600 yard competition till mid-summer if at all. This gun is a trued 700 Rem, 12 pounds, on a McMillan stock and these loads have noticeably more recoil than my regular 14.5 pound 600 yard Panda on a Kelbly Graphite stock.

Jerry
Thanks for the update, please keep us posted. I am very interested in anything you find related to temp. sensitivity.
James

Jerry --

Thanks for the update !!!! So in your opinion, what powder does it compare to? (to get an idea of the burn rate)

Thanks a Million !!!
Happy Shooting
Donovan Moran

Jerry --

So in your opinion, what powder does it compare to? (to get an idea of the burn rate)

Happy Shooting
Donovan Moran
Donovan, comparing it by weight on QuickLOAD, it is close to H4350 or W760. It would fit in with RL-17 if there were such an animal. So you should be able to fill that gap between RL-15 and RL-19. I hope it has some "niche" properties since there are about 3-4 other powders that will do the same thing based on this limited test .

Back