New DPMS .260, can I go to .260 AI?

W

Wheres_Waldo

I had planned on purchasing a new DPMS Panther LR-260. I dont know much about turning chambers so dont think I'm being niave here.

Can a .260 Rem be rechambered to .260 AI?

Would having a barrel extension cause any problems?

Will I have to keep the same neck tension and throat length if I didnt want to set the barrel back any?

you have to set the barrel back to go to an AI chamber. if i were doing this, my biggest concern would be with the AI cartridge's sharper shoulder, it could have feeding problems.

How practical is it?

Can a barrel be separated from its barrel extension once sent out from the factory? Is this very practical?

I've been thinking about feeding issues. I'm not sure what could be done to the feed ramps to fix this.

A .260 AI-AR still sounds so damn sexy though...

May just be cheeper to use one of my AR15's and go with a 6.5 grendel.

Barrel extensions are loc-tited on - it will likely require heat to get it off. The next concern would be the gas port location & diameter, and whether it will result in excessive port pressure with powders suitable for the improved case's slightly greater case capacity.

It seems like using the factory bbl. might lead to more problems than it's worth. It would probably be better in the long run to buy a custom barrel contoured, chambered & ported by a gunsmith with experience in setting up AR barrels for various different cartridges.

Ai

The 40 degree angle makes feeding difficult. I love the AIs, but even in a bolt gun they don't cycle worth a darn.

Adrian

Aside from probable feeding issues would be in setting the barrel back one thread you would have a gas tube that would be sticking rearward another 1/16th of an inch or whatever thread pitch the shank is. You would have to shorten or make a new gas tube for it.

How do you think a factory DPMS 6.5 Creedmoor would compare to a 6.5-284 or .260 AI? external ballisticly speaking?

Back