New Custom Rifle

I am in the process of building a custom rifle for long range woodchuck hunting, 600 to 1000 yards and maybe some target shooting. I can't make up my mind on either the 6X284 or 6MM AI. I already have a 6MM Remington and 22-250 AI. I was thinking of setting this rifle up for the VLD bullets or Sierra's new 95 gr MatchKings. I will probably use a 1 and 8 twist barrel 29-30 inches. To me accuracy is more important than speed. What is the difference in case capacity? How about barrel life? Are the VLD bullets difficult to tune? I had good accuracy fireforming the 22-250 so I hunted with them. Can I expect the same with the 6MM? I chose the 6X284 as an option because I could neck down the 6.5X284 Lapua brass. I don't know if that makes a big difference since the rifle will have a tight neck and I will be sorting brass. I would appreciate any advice or opinions from those who have experiences with these calibers.
Thanks and I wish everyone a Happy Holiday!

Thanks, I am leaning towards the 6 Ackley. I thought you would have to use VLD'S for shots past 600 yards. I still may get a 8 or 9 twist barrel so I can try the VLD'S. Will the faster twist have an adverse effect on the lighter bullets? I will probably use winchester brass and turn the necks.

both are real barrel burners,any time u push that much powder through a 6mm hole barrel life is gonna suffer,if accuracy matters most i'd look towards a standard 6br or the 6.5x47 lapua,definitely go with the lapua brass though

Other options

If you are determined to pick one of those, go 6/284 becuase you can get Lapua brass for it - but not for the 6MM Rem Imp. Much less work.

I own 6.5/284's and 6MM Rem Imp's. I also just started shooting a 6X47 Lapua that I really like - very, very accurate.

I won't build anymore 6.5/284's or 6mm rem imp's becuase the 6x47 is working that well.

If you are determined to pick one of those, go 6/284 becuase you can get Lapua brass for it - but not for the 6MM Rem Imp. Much less work.

I own 6.5/284's and 6MM Rem Imp's. I also just started shooting a 6X47 Lapua that I really like - very, very accurate.

I won't build anymore 6.5/284's or 6mm rem imp's becuase the 6x47 is working that well.

What are the specifications on the rifle? Barrel and twist, tight neck? What bullet are shooting? Is your rifle only set up for paper punching?
Thanks.

6mmAI

I Would Talk With Richard Franklin In Va.- Richardscutomrifles.com. He Is A Extreme Long Range Varmit Hunter And Has Shot The 6ai For Years. He Now Shoots The 300wsm. With The 110vmax At 4200fps.

I have 3 6X47's now. I have one on a Predator action with a 28 inch 8 twist shilen barrel in a laminated Shehane tracker stock (this started out as a 6MM BR). I have one on a Bat 2 lug action with a 28 inch Kreiger 8 twist in a laminated Shehane tracker stock. I have one in a Bat 3 lug action with a Krieger 8 twist 28 inch barrel in a fiberglass speedy f class stock. all are 3 inch fore-end stocks, shot from a John Loh rest. All are compensated, either with a Vais or a JP Rifles recoil eleminator. Comps reduce the need for spotters when shooting prairie dogs.

All are done with the same reamer, a .272 neck. The Lapua brass loads out at slightly over .269 without neck turning - perfect. I will use them for PD shooting this summer, right now I am punching paper, getting them ready. I probably will bring no other guns this year - these will do it all - long range, light recoil, super accurate at distance. I shoot at up to 430 yards, the longest distance I have available. I have worked quite a bit with the 2 lug BAT, and am no bull agging .5 inch at 300 5 shot groups (my range is narrow, with lots of trees on each side, little wind gets through). I have never done that with a 6MM AI. Will never build another 6MMAI, this round is more efficient, less recoil, more accurate, uses less powder for same results so barrel life should be better, good brass is all you can use.

There is no do-all rifle - build it for the bullet weight you plan to shoot. 6X47, 6mm AI, 6X284 are overbore for light bullets - a 6mmBR is a better choice for lighter bullets. The 8 twist might shoot the lighter bullets, but who cares. A 105 smacks them close and far.

I am shooting 105 Bergers with Reloader 19 slightly into the lands. I will try the Hornadys 105 Amax as well, since I think they expand better at long range. I am also going to try the Berger 108's, just ordered some.

I wish Berger would make a dedicated heavy 100+ grain varmint bullet. (oooohhhhh, EEEErrrriiiiicccc.....)

Last edited:
I have 3 6X47's now. I have one on a Predator action with a 28 inch 8 twist shilen barrel in a laminated Shehane tracker stock. I have one on a Bat 2 lug action with a 28 inch Kreiger 8 twist in a laminated Shehane tracker stock. I have one in a Bat 3 lug action with a Krieger 8 twist 28 inch barrel in a fiberglass speedy f class stock.

I am shooting 105 Bergers with Reloader 19 slightly into the lands.

What kind of accuracy are you getting? Are you chronographing your loads? What is the case capacity? How do you prep your brass? Do your rifles have tight necks? I assume your using Lapua Brass?

I am necking down Lapua brass in 2 steps - I use an intermediate bushing, then a .268 bushing. I chamfer the inside and outside and then load. I do no other brass prep for this round.

The rifles have a .272 neck. The rounds load out at a little over .269 - this is just the way I like it.

I am using 41 grs of Reloader 19, which is mild in my rifle, be carefull in yours, a little more will fit in the case - however, not much more. I am using the CCI small rifle magnum primers. I know Bill Shehane is using a improved version of this case that holds more powder. He builds stocks and rifles, if you would consider using him. He has done some truly excellent work for me. www.scopeusout.com

I am getting 3050FPS over a chrono with 105 Bergers in a 28 inch Krieger.

I am agging 1/2 inch groups at 300 yards and have shot a 1/4 inch group at 300 yards - this is why I am so sold on this round. I think it's the 6mm answer for long range. My range is very protected from the wind and I do use flags. This is from a 2 lug BAT with a 28 inch Krieger barrel in a Shehane tracker stock built by a winning gunsmith.

Last edited:
6X47 Lapua

I'm shooting 95gr MK's in my 6X47 Lapua with 26" 1/10 twist PacNor barrel. Accuracy is very good with N550. One ragged hole 5 shot groups @ 100yds. Got 3295fps with 40gr N550 and F205M primers. This is too hot for my Savage target action rifle. I'll need to back down to about 39gr or so for hot weather. I'm not able to shoot the loads others have reported in their custom action rifles without pressure signs. Other powders shoot well with lighter bullets, (IMR 4895) but N550 gives good velocity and accuracy with all bullet weights from 70-95gr. Vic

Last edited:
Back