New Anschutz Benchrest Rifle

jim

I just read about the new Anschutz "Benchrest Rifle" that is coming out soon or is out now? Platform is the 64 action with the 5098 trigger and a 20 inch barrel, looks like 3 inch forearm and a weight of 9.5 pounds. Looks like my Anschutz 64MPR with a wider forearm and 5 inches of the barrel removed. Anyone heard anything about them? My MPR with a 25 inch barrel weighs in at 9 pounds even - I question how this new rifle with 5 inches less barrel weighs 1/2 pound more? Any reason I should look at trading my MPR in on one of these? (my MPR shoots very well).

Thanks

It's probably a bigger diameter barrel. It also could be more wood on the stock. A 1/2lb ain't much when you think about it. Density of the type of wood used alone can easily make up the difference and then some. But my hunch is the barrel diameter is bigger by quite a bit.

I wonder why when Anschutz gets into the BR game they go to a 20 inch or so barrel. It seems that the trend in custom is towards 25-28 inch barrels. But I have a 2013 built by Anschutz for BR and it has 20 inch barrel.

As far as the weight difference goes, This is a bit puzzling...rifle's barrel on the MPR's muzzle end is larger in diameter and grooved to acommodate the optional globe front sight. Is the new rifle's barrel same diameter although not turned down from muzzle back like the MPR's? this would account for some weight increase. Also the stock may be Walnut which I believe is heavier than Birch which is used on the MPR.
I understand the new rifle's stock is drilled to acommodate weights to meet shooting criteria....
I've owned a MPR and feel it's a better choice overall, it sits well in the bags and can still use aperture sights which I still enjoy shooting with.
BRKHornet

Factory Bench Rest Rifles

Jim,

I am sure the new Anschutz will be a great rifle BUT if you are considering a factory built rifle for benchrest I would suggest you look at the Feinwerkbau 2700 Benchrest Rifle. We have 3 in our club & they are all very very accurate.

I just won the Sydney RBA Championships yesterday using mine, with a great score :)

248, 248, 248 Total 744.42X Amo Eley Match EPS

Not bad for a rifle straight out of the box, no tuner or any modifications ;)

I appreciate the comments - in regard to the new bench rest rifle having a larger diameter barrel I checked on the Anschutz website and it lists both the MPR and the new rifle as having .890 diameter barrels. The stock is mentioned as having a hardwood stock - for Anschutz this is usually birch like my MPR.

I'm still puzzled how this new benchrest rifle weighs more than my MPR with such a short barrel?

Thanks

Back