Need Wind Flag Advice

Dave Rabin

I am thinking about getting some new flags and am considering the Rick Graham flags and the Smiley Hensley flags. Can you give me your opinion on their relative merits in terms of sensitivity and how easy it is to see them? Anything else I should consider in choosing between them?

Also, does anyone know the price of the Hensley flags? I already have poles.

Thank you,

Dave Rabin

Flags

To each his own, but I and the guys I know prefer Rick Graham's. Great guy and will get you what you want.

Both flag makers have considerable followings. I have had the Graham flags in hand. I ordered a set, with every possible option, for a friend. The quality and attention to detail is impressive. They are very well thought out.

Currently, there is a new model that is designed to use with the Murdica reticle that is available in March scopes (high horizontal crosshair) to facilitate stacking more flags in the scope, an excellent idea.
http://www.brflags.com/flags.html

actually the graham flags

stand out, example the nationals at st louis, phoenix nationals and so on, graham flags are catching on
perhaps if the smiley (nice guy as well) flags were painted or refurbished as opposed to being 10 years old you could READ them better, the faded ones looks and READ like crap

just my opinion and it is right

Jefferson

i shoot over the grahams & they are really nice,maybe a little to sensitive but if you play with the balance they work great,guess it all depends on what you get used to shooting over,i personally don't have enough flags for a full rotation so i use what's already set up at the major shoots

GB flags

Buy a Wind Probe.

Learn to use it.

Also buy some good flags.

Dick

After making two sets and watching a lot of flags I chose GB windflags. They are robustand react very well. I prefer the ball flag and changed the color of one side of mine but they are a Deluxe flag.

I would also recommend that you buy 2 probes. I believe one needs at least two with each line of flags. When one can get both probes to agree one usually can count on the bullet going where it should. I have one large and one small. If one shoots mostly 100 yds small ones are ok I think but it is nice to have a larger one when shooting longer distances, from my experience.

I also have some Windicators that work well. I have intended to make them more adaptable to the poles I have now but it's one of those things that seems to never get done.

Dave ...

Buy some of Rick Graham's flags. You won't be disappointed. I have five. Three for 100 yards and two larger ones that I add for the back end of 200 yards. They're highly visible and very responsive. Don't forget to get some of his sail tails. The sail tails are much better than surveyor's tape. My flags look like those in the box.

Rick also provided the wooden cross bars in the bottom of the container. They have holes that the flag bases are inserted into for compact storage and make transporting a breeze. I purchased a SteriLite container, like the one shown, with a lid, at OfficeMax, but have seen them in Wal-Mart. Rick mails the sail tails in a tube that you use for storage of the tails. Make sure you store them there. They'll retain their shape and last a long time.

You'll be dealing with a nice guy and the price is very competitive. Here's Rick's link:http://www.brflags.com/

Attachments

• big & regular vein.JPG
    big & regular vein.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 565
  • Flags in Box.jpg
    Flags in Box.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 610
Last edited by a moderator:
Dave,
Have you considered doing some improvements to your current flags ? With some better pivot bearings and better props I think you would be fine and not have to learn new flags.

Both of these flags are great. One thing you might consider is do the majority of the shooters where you shoot use one or the other. If so you might consider going with what the majority use. It helps if you don't have enough for full rotation you can take advantage of others flags, and you can get an idea left and right what is coming. You can't go wrong with either one.

Ray,

I haven't yet decided whether I want to replace my existing flags. I've been using them for a number of years and like them. I decided I just want to try something else to see if I'll like it better. I plan to buy a couple of new flags and set them out side-by-side with my current flags at a practice session and see if I can tell any difference in sensitivity or readability.

Dave

Flags

Many believe that the Smiley Flag is a bit dated, they haven't changed much in years. But then, considering how many shooter win shooting over them, the arguement can be made that they don't change because they are pretty darned good as they are.

The Graham Flags are really nice, more and more are starting to be seen all over the Country. They are well designed and responsive.

I don't know what all of this talk is about flags being too sensitive. Heck, I take great pains with my own flags to insure that they are balanced and will respond to the slightest shift. Maybe I missed the memo on this one.

I guess it is all in what you win with............jackie

I just want to install some effective flags on my 500 yard range which will do alright through the weather, without spending hundreds of dollars on them.

What would you guys recommend?

Back