Need shooting advice ! PLEASE !

Savage Mark

Hi Guys !

Any help would be extremely appreciated . Here’s the specs.

Savage 10 action
Bedded HS stock
28” Criterion Bull with Brake
Sightron 10-50
Bald eagle front rest and protecktor rear bag
168 FGMM
13 shots
300 yards
Very Very light hold

Main group is 1.6” , add damn flier it becomes 2.5”

Attachments

• 87C465A0-0551-4E80-ACBD-A7742E0895B0.jpeg
    87C465A0-0551-4E80-ACBD-A7742E0895B0.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 281
  • 930707A6-AD6D-4166-A4D5-784C9835AA2A.jpeg
    930707A6-AD6D-4166-A4D5-784C9835AA2A.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 226
Hi Guys !

Savage 10 action
Bedded HS stock
Sightron 10-50
168 FGMM
13 shots
300 yards
Very Very light hold

I see nothing wrong with 1/2 minute 12 shot group at 300 yards. The flier is about 1.7" from the group center, or about a 2 mph change in the wind. That's all it takes at 300 yards to cause this. Do you have good flags? While Federal Gold MM is a quality product, there is no substitute for tuning a load for the given day and altitude density. As for the 12 shots in 1.6" at 300 yards with factory ammo, I believe many would be impressed.

Michael

I see nothing wrong with 1/2 minute 12 shot group at 300 yards. The flier is about 1.7" from the group center, or about a 2 mph change in the wind. That's all it takes at 300 yards to cause this. Do you have good flags? While Federal Gold MM is a quality product, there is no substitute for tuning a load for the given day and altitude density. As for the 12 shots in 1.6" at 300 yards with factory ammo, I believe many would be impressed.

Michael

No Wind flags ! Guess I need to make some .

Hi Guys !

Savage 10 action
Bedded HS stock
Sightron 10-50
168 FGMM
13 shots
300 yards
Very Very light hold

Unless you had an accidental discharge, that so called flier is part of your group. Frustrating? Yes, but them's the facts Sir. If you shoot it , you gotta' count it. Where I shoot matches, they don't let you ignore "fliers".

First of all, thirteen shots inside 1 MOA at 300 yards is nothing to be ashamed about, especially since (if I read your post correctly) 12 shots were close to 1/2 MOA. This also points out the problem with using MOA to evaluate groups with large numbers of rounds fired. If 12 go through the same hole and the 13th is 3.14" away at 300 yards, your group size is one MOA. If you had stopped after 12 rounds, your MOA would be ZERO.

That's why it makes more sense to calculate Mean Radius when it comes to evaluating group performance. Unfortunately, it's a real PITA to calculate Mean Radius by hand, but On Target Software does it automatically. The Mean Radius value will show that a group scattered around a 3.14" circle at 300 yards is not as good as a group with 12 in the same hole and one "flyer" at 3.14". We all know this, but if you just measure MOA, the value for both groups would be identical. MOA is meaningful of course, but it doesn't tell the whole story.

Take a look at On Target software. It easy to use and will help you evaluate your shooting with a better understanding of how good or bad you and/or your equipment is doing when compared to simply logging MOA.

300 yards, with a Savage and factory loaded ammo? You're doing GOOD!!:cool:
Start rolling you own ammo and you'll see the difference.

Last edited:
Mark,

That group is nothing to sneeze at...especially being 13 rounds, which is 8 more rounds than most of us would have shot. You shoot that many rounds in a group, you're bound to have a loose one...a lapse in concentration, a slightly different position on the gun, the gentlest of a zephyr...you name it. Could have been a number of things.

What number shot was the flier?

FWIW, I've always shot .308's better holding on to them fairly hard. If shooting off of a bipod, I get all over the gun.

If you don't reload, give Hornady TAP 168 grain AMAX a try. It shoots better than FGMM in me and my compadre's .308's. In fact, the 168 TAP was the most accurate .308 ammunition the FBI had ever tested as of a couple of years ago. The stuff is no joke.

Justin

Back