Need info on lathe

M

micad

Hi guys, fairly new guy here.....

I'm very ignorant about metal working and lathes in particular and need some info on a lathe I'm considering.

Does anyone have any info on a Jet Model # 80-1338T lathe? It is a one owner lathe that appears to have very low miles on it that is supposed to about 15 years old. Just drove to church on Sundays by a little ol' man. :D

It has a steady rest that has, from all appearances never been on the machine. The same with the face plate and four jaw chuck---never been out of the box they came in. May or may not have a follow rest---the owner is looking for it.

It has a 1 17/32" spindle bore, quick change for threading/feeds, 2 hp 230v single phase motor, several live centers that have never been out of the factory pacakaging, a couple of drill chucks, lots of misc HSS and carbide cutters (most are new) and is on a factory stand. Made in Taiwan.

From all appearances this machine looks to be very nearly new. Absolutley no sign of wear, every thing moves easily yet there is virtually '0' backlash on the dials or slop in crossfeed, carriage, head stock, or tail stock. At least to my untrained eye.
Any ideas on the worth of something like this? How about quality/durability?
Thanks.

-Mike-

This sounds a lot like the machine I have had for about 25 years. Not the best, but very adequate and better than some of the stuff out there right now. If the price on the whole package is around $2000 or less I would jump at it, especially considering all the extras. For gunsmith work, it will do a real nice job.

Larry

Larry, Thanks for the info! It does help.

For the price (less than 2k) it seems like a good deal to me, but like I said I am pretty darned IGNORANT!! when it comes to lathes. :rolleyes::D

-Mike-

Some championship benchrest barrels have been chambered on Jet lathes!

I would agree that the machine that you are describing is worth at least $2000.

Clemson

Thanks guys....it's now setting in my shop just begging to be used! :D:D

-Mike-

I'm glad I could help. Just curious, what did you end up paying. If less than 2k you got a great deal. It saves a lot of time and hassle to have all those extra tools and parts. I really like my Jet and recently thought I needed something better, got to checking around and found that to get something better would cost over 12k new and to get used may not be better or could be even worse. So now I'm happy again with what I have. Larry

Larry,
I got it for $1750. Once again, thanks for your input!

-Mike-

Larry, I bought a heavy Jet 13x40 three years ago and have had good results with it after dealing with a few issues (POS 3-&4-jaw chucks, crapped-out chi-com single phase motor, etc.). I dropped a bundle on a Newall C80 DRO for it last year shortly before Grizzly announced their new gunsmithing lathes. After looking over the two GS lathes and the new Taiwanese 16x40 at the SHOT Show in Feb., I was having a lot of 2nd thoughts about my Jet. However, like you said, the next step up in quality is something like the Griz Taiwanese machine, and they're running $13K.

The chambers I cut with the Jet are coming out just fine, and the barrels shoot great, so unless there's a winning powerball lottery ticket or a big oil well in my future, I think the Jet will do just fine.

The chambers I cut with the Jet are coming out just fine, and the barrels shoot great, so unless there's a winning powerball lottery ticket or a big oil well in my future, I think the Jet will do just fine.

Dennis, all my Northwest kansas friends have oil wells. You are telling us that you don't?? How crude!! Oh, is is crude you want though isn't it?

Back