Need info on 38 special +p brass & load data

R

Roy Allain

I was given some 38 spc +p ammo. Is the +p brass different than 38 special? Is the brass stronger, thicker, etc.? Or can I load regular 38 special brass to +p pressures?

The revolver is a S&W .357 magnum, so I know it will handle the pressure.

Thanks,

Roy

The brass is the same, just stamped to ID it so hopefully it won`t find its way into the wrong chamber. STD 38 brass can be loaded with +P loads, but why when you can down load 357s for your pistol?
The gap between the case mouth of a 38 and the 357 chamber end does nothing for accuracy and can foul up quite badly over steady use.

The brass is the same, just stamped to ID it so hopefully it won`t find its way into the wrong chamber. STD 38 brass can be loaded with +P loads, but why when you can down load 357s for your pistol?
The gap between the case mouth of a 38 and the 357 chamber end does nothing for accuracy and can foul up quite badly over steady use.

Thanks for the comeback Joe. I agree with you on the .357. I just wanted to know +p that's all. It also explains why there isn't much +p load data in the manuals. Why bother, eh.

Roy

Thanks for the comeback Joe. I agree with you on the .357. I just wanted to know +p that's all. It also explains why there isn't much +p load data in the manuals. Why bother, eh.

Roy

You can find lots of +P data on the various powder web sites. Alliant, Hodgdon, Ramshot, Accurate, etc all have it for th 38spcl

Back