Need help with a Winchester model 70 extractor issue

Evelio

I just finished chambering a new heavy barrel in 223 Rem. for a practically new Win. model 70. The problem is I can't close the bolt on the GO gage or and empty round with the extractor still in the bolt, once I removed the sliding type extractor, the bolt will close fine. Can you feed a round directly into the chamber like a Rem. or does it has to be fed directly from the magazine ????
Thank you.
Evelio.

You should be able to throw a round in the chamber then close the bolt on it. I would take the extractor out and pull the plunger and spring and clean it all up and give it a lube job before I did anything else. I've found the plunger spring rusted to the bolt before on rifles that hadn't been shot.
I have had like new rifles built in the 60's that I don't think ever got shot before I found them.

Take a look at how far the extractor reaches into the bolt face by placing a round in the bolt face. It may pin the case to the opposite side. Also the chamfer on the extractor. Sometimes decreasing the bite and/or modifying the chamfer will solve the problem.

Dave

Dave
I have taken the extractor off, and cleaned it and also polished out all surfaces to make sure there are no burrs, it still won't close over a loaded case. I do not have the stock or magazine assembly to try out, but the owner claims that he was able to load directly into the chamber, and fired with no problem. I even put the original barrel back in it, and had the same problem, so is not something with the new barrel.
I can unscrew the barrel a couple of turns, put a case in the chamber, close the bolt, screw the barrel back tight, and everything works fine, put the case back in, try closing the bolt, and still the same problem.
Evelio.

loosen the bbl, put some bluing on the extractor..face and side, chamber a dummy round
and start turning the bbl in.
if it stops short, there should be some bluing transfer if the extractor is the issue.

Jay
Have not been able to figure out the problem. Waiting to get the rest of the parts, and put the gun together, and see if it closes when fed from the mag.
CM
I tried bluing the extractor, and screwing the barrel in, no problem, and no marks anywhere, what bothers me the most, is that it still don't work when I put the original barrel back on.
I have never seen an extractor like this one, it is a small gate looking part with the bevel in the end that suppose to grab the rim of the case, and slides in and out on the grooves in the bolt, and has a small hole in the center where the spring loaded plunger catches on to keep it in place. The part ( extractor ) just slides a small amount in and out. I even tried holding a case in front of the bolt, and pushing it against a solid piece of wood with my hand, and still could not get it to slide open and catch the case. I am totally lost. !!!!!
Evelio.

Jay
Have not been able to figure out the problem. Waiting to get the rest of the parts, and put the gun together, and see if it closes when fed from the mag.
CM
I tried bluing the extractor, and screwing the barrel in, no problem, and no marks anywhere, what bothers me the most, is that it still don't work when I put the original barrel back on.
I have never seen an extractor like this one, it is a small gate looking part with the bevel in the end that suppose to grab the rim of the case, and slides in and out on the grooves in the bolt, and has a small hole in the center where the spring loaded plunger catches on to keep it in place. The part ( extractor ) just slides a small amount in and out. I even tried holding a case in front of the bolt, and pushing it against a solid piece of wood with my hand, and still could not get it to slide open and catch the case. I am totally lost. !!!!!
Evelio.
It's a sliding plate extractor. Winchester started putting them in when they changed away from the controlled feed in 1964. I would look for another extractor and put it in and see what it does. Look up outback gun parts they probably have one in stock if you don't have another model 70 there to rob one out of for a test fit.
I'm sure there is another solution to fixing the one that's in the rifle but not having a known good extractor to compare it with will make it hard to know what is different about it and causing it not to work.

Id pull it all apart, clean the hole, spring and plunger then make sure that point is not dragging inside the taper under the plate

I never understood why Win decided to use that little pointed plunger under the extractor. Unless the plunger hole is clean and lubed, and the plunger smooth and burr free, it is going to impede the plunger's movement. Savage uses an identical extractor except that it uses a 1/8" ball bearing in place of the plunger and it works perfectly. Seems to me it is likely more tolerant of dirt and lack of lube. Why not try a ball bearing ( hardware store) and see if it works properly.

RWO

I have a Factory Winchester long action in .222. It is a push feed with the same extractor as yours. It works jut fine. I suggest that you take a look at the gap between the front of the bolt and the back of the barrel, and the chamfer on the face of the extractor. It may need to be modified a little bit so that the edges of case heads make first contact on the bevel and not on the flat. There could be an barrel on bolt centering issue that could contribute to this. I have not gotten mine out of the safe to see if the extractor stands proud of the front of the bolt. If it does not, then my first recommendation will probably not have any relevance.

Finally got it to work. The damm plunger actually had a small straight tip that would go in the hole of the extractor, and practically lock it in place. I polished it until the point was gone and now it works fine.
Like RWO stated, I agree that a small ball bearing and a bigger hole on the extractor would be a better design. I think the metal in the plunger is real soft, and after some use it wore into a sharp point going in and out of the hole in the harden extractor plate.
Thank you guys for the responses.
Evelio.

Finally got it to work. The damm plunger actually had a small straight tip that would go in the hole of the extractor, and practically lock it in place. I polished it until the point was gone and now it works fine.
Like RWO stated, I agree that a small ball bearing and a bigger hole on the extractor would be a better design. I think the metal in the plunger is real soft, and after some use it wore into a sharp point going in and out of the hole in the harden extractor plate.
Thank you guys for the responses.
Evelio.
That ball bearing is a good idea. Might come in handy someday to replace a lost "obsolete" plunger.

Back