Need Help/Scope Bedding Problem

333smitty

Tomball Gun Club
I bedded my scope today with JB weld and I'm having a little trouble removing my scope from the rings. I have used moderate force already but the scope will not break free. I don't want to damage the scope in any way. Its has been curing for about eight hours so far.

I used two coats of auto wax as a release agent to no avail. I've used this wax as a release agent on my actions before and haven't had any problems with it in the past.

Any suggestions? Heat, Freezing, more muscle. =)

Thanks in advance.

Put the ring tops on and leave the screws loose (2-3 turns) load up 10-12 hot loads an shoot the rifle and check the scope after each shot...

Is the scope just bedded in the lower half (no mechanical lock)? If not, try freezing it. - nhk

I bedded my scope today with JB weld and I'm having a little trouble removing my scope from the rings. I have used moderate force already but the scope will not break free. I don't want to damage the scope in any way. Its has been curing for about eight hours so far.

I used two coats of auto wax as a release agent to no avail. I've used this wax as a release agent on my actions before and haven't had any problems with it in the past.

Any suggestions? Heat, Freezing, more muscle. =)

Thanks in advance.

Did epoxy go over center of scope tube diameter trapping tube? If so, you need to remove some epoxy material less than tube diameter to untrap................Don

If you can remove the scope with attached rings from the bases, heat the rings with an iron for a few minutes and they should pop right off. Worked for me. In future try Kiwi neutral shoe polish or spray PAM as a release agent.

Good luck,
Virg

Lift (put up pressure on) the objective end of the scope and tap one of the ears on the front ring with a wooden dowel or plastic rod. Should pop right out unless the JB is over the center line.
I prefer to use JB Kwik, remove the scope after 15-minutes with a light tap on the ring, and easy cleanup with an X-ACTO knife. The Kwik version will stay rubbery for a couple hours so it form fits itself to the scope when you put it back in the rings with light screw pressure. Torque the rings normally after a few hours of cure time.

Thanks Guys

I finally got the scope out. I made a wood wedge out of a 1x2 and placed it between the dove tail (Panda) and the scope tube (Leu 45x LCS) and lightly tapped on the wedge till it popped lose. Thank goodness. I was really sweatin it. :):):)

Some of the JB came out with the scope but most of the bedding is OK. I removed the bedding and I am back in buisness. I'll bed the top rings tomorrow with a different release agent. I have the nuetral shoe polish so I guess I'll try that and see if I have better results.

Thanks again for all your help. Its always good to have a bunch of buddies to turn to when your in trouble. :D:D:D

Last edited:
Look for something with carnauba wax in it. That the CYA stuff they use on big molds, boats & the like. I have a can of Ceara wax I bough 25 years ago for bedding & it's still doing its job fine, but any soft wax with carnauba listed as a component should do.

JB weld seems to defeats most wax release agents.

Better solution is to go to the Burris rings with the plastic inserts.

First off, I'm a new member here and hello to everyone.

Anyway to the OP and topic, has anyone ever tried taping the item being bedded ( scope for now ), using just for instance, a normal 3M style scotch tape vs. applying a wax or a chemical type release agent? I cannot image such a minute thickness of tape would interfere with this type of job and should be easy to remove.

I maybe way off base in this idea, but I have used a truckload of 3M types of tape in the graphic arts applications and always try looking for innovative ways to improve methods and processes.

TK in Indy

I've had good luck with the silicone spray that is used to lubricate the belt on a treadmill - nothing sticks to it. I also use it to coat my bullet moulds.

Another option is Saran wrap. At 0.001" thick, it works well where you are bedding at less than a vertical surface.

I have used johnsons & johnsons paste wax for years. It was recommended to me by
Jim Stekl at remington. I have also used J & B weld for as long as it has been available.
Never had a problem in any way. I do polish the wax once its dry leaving it very thin.
To get scope rings to let go, just put the top halfs on and tighten the screws. You will
hear them pop as the rings distort slightly. Remove the top halfs and lift the scope out.

I have used johnsons & johnsons paste wax for years. It was recommended to me by
Jim Stekl at remington. I have also used J & B weld for as long as it has been available.
Never had a problem in any way. I do polish the wax once its dry leaving it very thin.
To get scope rings to let go, just put the top halfs on and tighten the screws. You will
hear them pop as the rings distort slightly. Remove the top halfs and lift the scope out.

Thanks for the "pop" tip Bob. =)

Back