Need help finding moderately priced rifle for beginner

J

jason3705

I am not new to shooting, just shooting with a very nice and very accurate rifle. I dont really know where to start as far as picking a brand and caliber. I thought this would be a good place to go for information and to learn from others in the sport of "target shooting". I dont want to kid myself and think i will be shooting out to 1,000 meters either. I would just like to start with a very good rifle and good potential to upgrade if need be. I would like to shoot at the 500 meter and less range. I dont want to spend to much on my first rifle. I would like to have something in the 6.5 realm as far as caliber goes to reach out there if i feel the urge. Any recommendations for a rifle or which direction to go for help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Get a used 700 Remington in 6BR with a nice benchrest stock on it.Lights out to 600 yards easy on barrels and easy on your wallet.1800 loads per keg of powder no recoil at 15 pounds+ your scope and you can get one cheap.You can take it on out to 1000 yards and accuracy is seldom a problem.Off the shelf everything is the norm and accuracy is as good or better than a full custom rig in a bad cartridge choice.First gun I shot sub 1 inch at 600 yards was a 700 Remington in 6BR.
Lynn

Try a Savage

I have a Savage Long Range Precision Varmint rifle that I bought new for less than $1000. It is the most accurate factory production rifle I own. Several features enhance accuracy--the stiff single shot receiver, the bedding block, the floating bolt head and the accu-trigger. Put a high quality scope on it and you'll have a good shooting rig for a very reasonable price.

Thank you both for the suggestions. Is there any other calibers you might be able to suggest? 260 Rem possibly?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you both for the suggestions. Is there any other calibers you might be able to suggest? 260 Rem possibly?

If you are strictly target shooting for accuracy and punching paper, then take Lynns advice and get the 6BR, it is the best most economical choice.

If you might also use the rifle for hunting as well as target shooting then the 260 Rem would be fine, as it is an excellent and accurate moderately intense cartridge.

I have a 7mm-08 that I love. Its a great factory round. Also have a 6.5x55. Its an OLD rifle but still very serviceable for deer here at home.Ammo for both are a little spendy. But all of it is getting that way. I would think either of these could be found for a reasonable price and would be a good choice. Depending of course what you expect out of it. The .260 rem would also be a great choice of course.

The 6BR ammo isn't cheap as you can see from this ad from Graf&Son.That comes out to $2 a shot but the empty brass is worth 65 cents each so your looking at $1:35 per shot unless you want to reload.
On the good side it will most likely be the most accurate rifle you have ever owned.On the bad side that means more ammo costs.

LAPUA AMMO 6MM BR NORMA 105gr HPBT SCENAR 20b 30c
Our Price: $39.99
In Stock
Item #: LU4316046
LAPUA AMMO 6MM BR NORMA 90gr HPBT SCENAR 20b 30c
Our Price: $39.99
In Stock
Item #: LU4316045

Lynn

Brand of rifle, Savage bolt action.

Chambering, 308 Win

Buy absolutely the cheapest one you can get, don't be afraid of pawn shop used.

Now you've got budget left of your "moderate price" to do all sorts of cool upgrades.

Start by buying reloading gear, absolutely the cheapest you can find. I'll heartily recommend RCBS dies and the goofy looking "nutcracker" press by Lee mfg

Buy this kit if you can find one, http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=624416 or if you're stuck with the new "upgraded" version it's still cheaper than a bench type http://www.leeprecision.com/html/catalog/rlpress1.html Now get a Lee or RCBS powder scale and you're in business....

Don't let anybody convince you that high priced equipment is necessary to produce high quality reloads.

now you're set up to shoot bullets from 100 grains to 220 grains, the 308 covers the board.

You could spend years with this setup upgrading with aftermarket parts and learning to reload while learning how to shoot.

al

25-06 is another most people forget about too

???

25-06 isn't known for accuracy. It's a barrel burner and a long action to boot...harder to make stiff for accuracy work.

That said, there was recently an article in Precision Shooting about the perils and pleasures of accurizing the long action. It can be done :)

al

Alinwa
You won't find many 308's at the 1000 yard benchrest matches but you will find alot of 6BR's.
Lynn

Alinwa is right. Once you get into the sport you'll have time to try other stuff that may fit particular needs. The 308 is an excellent all around choice. Al in Mn.

I think I will shop around and buy a used br rifle in 6BR. Like ive read before, I can spend as much trying to "accurize" an off the shelf action as it would cost for a new custom. I may just buy a used br rifle or have it built. If I want a br type rifle I guess the best thing to do is buy a rifle built for what I intend to do. It may cost a good deal more but at least I have something that is designed to perform. Plus there is the whole resale issue. Thanks for all the input. Now I need to find a builder :cool: Any suggestions there?

Alinwa
You won't find many 308's at the 1000 yard benchrest matches but you will find alot of 6BR's.
Lynn

I didn't get the impression dude was going for a 1K gun. That said, Bruce D'Artus has done some spectacular long-range stuff. With the 308.

Lynn,

If memory serves between Bruce and Kregg Slack they took 4 out of 5 yrs running "longest shot of the year" on dawgs using the 308 Win case back in the late 90's.

But of course my memory may be faulty.

al

Back