Need help/advice on damaged scope crosshair

waynej1

After the fire in my gunshop last year, I am having second thoughts about returning to Benchrest shooting. I really enjoy the people, expierences and education I've picked up from the B.S. sessions after the matches and in general. I'm starting off trying to find out if a frozen scope (by Jackie Schmidt) can have the crosshairs replaced. One of the hairs was broken as the result of the fire or when the safe was moved to be cut open and the scope was bumped, or whatever. Does anyone know if a frozen scope like this can be repaired? Thanks waynej

Call Cecil Tucker

After the fire in my gunshop last year, I am having second thoughts about returning to Benchrest shooting. I really enjoy the people, expierences and education I've picked up from the B.S. sessions after the matches and in general. I'm starting off trying to find out if a frozen scope (by Jackie Schmidt) can have the crosshairs replaced. One of the hairs was broken as the result of the fire or when the safe was moved to be cut open and the scope was bumped, or whatever. Does anyone know if a frozen scope like this can be repaired? Thanks waynej

Over coffee this morning, I asked Cecil Tucker, who is well known for his scope work, about your crosshair question. He said it depends on the brand of scope. If it's a Leu 36 there should be no problem replacing the crosshairs which he keeps in stock. Give him a call at 432-553-4692. Odessa, Texas.

Gene Beggs

I am curious about the safe and the contents after a fire. There was a guy on here who said he knows a firefighter. Firefighter says gun safe contents never survive a house fire.
How were the contents and why did you have to cut it open?
Thanks Tim.

Thank you Mr. Beggs, I appreciate you asking Cecil about my problem. Had Cecil do his conversion on one of my scopes some time back. I did not realize he did this type work also. Thanks

Zippy,
In reply to your question. This was not a house fire. It was a portable building set up as a gun shop by me. As for the safe and contents, they were in the fire for approx. one half hour before we were able to control the fire. I had several 8# jugs of powder within 15 feet of the rear half of the safe,along with loaded ammo in the nearby location and an abundance of primers. With powder flashing at about 2500 degrees for several minutes, the extreme heat melted plastic, polymer, aluminum...you get the picture. The dial on the safe melted, but the fatal mistake I made was having 200 rounds of handloads in .308, and .223 for an up coming trip, inside the safe. When the ammo cooked off the bullets bounced around on the inside, and some twenty something wedged between the door and door seal. That was the cause of the cutting the safe open. waynej

Thank you Mr. Beggs, I appreciate you asking Cecil about my problem. Had Cecil do his conversion on one of my scopes some time back. I did not realize he did this type work also. Thanks

Zippy,
In reply to your question. This was not a house fire. It was a portable building set up as a gun shop by me. As for the safe and contents, they were in the fire for approx. one half hour before we were able to control the fire. I had several 8# jugs of powder within 15 feet of the rear half of the safe,along with loaded ammo in the nearby location and an abundance of primers. With powder flashing at about 2500 degrees for several minutes, the extreme heat melted plastic, polymer, aluminum...you get the picture. The dial on the safe melted, but the fatal mistake I made was having 200 rounds of handloads in .308, and .223 for an up coming trip, inside the safe. When the ammo cooked off the bullets bounced around on the inside, and some twenty something wedged between the door and door seal. That was the cause of the cutting the safe open. waynej

Back